Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Anyone heard of Monad Lake?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
hyak.net

hyak.net
PostMon May 02, 2005 9:08 am 
In my research of lost WA ski areas I found reference to one of the top ski areas of 1939 listed as Monad Lake. Anyone have any idea where this would be? Thanks.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Sewellel

Sewellel
PostMon May 02, 2005 11:54 am 
I have some old out of print books on Washington lakes. I'll check those when I get home tonight. There have been quite a few that have been renamed over the years.

borank
Lake dork

borank
Lake dork
PostMon May 02, 2005 11:57 am 
I'm not finding anything for Monad or even Nomad. However, Mona Lk is an older name for Lizard Lk at Stampede Pass, which has quite a CC skiing history.

hyak.net

hyak.net
PostMon May 02, 2005 4:37 pm 
The book that lists this area does have some maps showing campgrounds and such. I'll check the maps and see if this lake shows up. I've done google searches and find nothing so maybe the name Monad is a mis-print?? Rename could also be a possibility who knows.

salish

salish
PostMon May 02, 2005 8:31 pm 
My family used to camp on Stampede a lot in the late 1950s-60s and I recall Lizard Lake also being called Mona Lake. Sure enough, a check of Wolcott shows it being named, in the past, "Littler", "Mona", and for at least the last 55 years as Lizard Lake. Could this be it?

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
hyak.net

hyak.net
PostMon May 02, 2005 9:20 pm 
Is the lake anywhere near the train tunnel? The only ski areas I'm aware of on Stampede Pass was the Meany Hut and the Ski Dome (later called the Husky Chalet which burned down in the 50s). If the lake is by the train tunnel entrance then it could be considered the same as the Ski Dome I guess, but otherwise its unlikely. Since the only access to the Stampede areas was by train or hike the area would need to be close to the train tunnel.

Dante

Dante
PostTue May 03, 2005 8:06 am 
The Mona lake angle is interesting It could also be near an old Northern Pacific right of way or facility. Their yin and yang symbol is called a monad.

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostWed May 04, 2005 10:49 am 
Lizard Lake Camp Site
BTW I camped at Lizard Lake last summer when all of the lower campgrounds were full - we drove up to the pass and found a trashed-out camp on the SW side on the road to the weather station. We cleaned it up for two day's and down-sized the fire ring's from two to one. It was a peaceful setting, but not very quiet because of the wierd noise from the power lines above.

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
salish

salish
PostMon May 09, 2005 7:55 am 
Snowbrushy wrote:
BTW I camped at Lizard Lake last summer when all of the lower campgrounds were full - we drove up to the pass and found a trashed-out camp on the SW side on the road to the weather station. We cleaned it up for two day's and down-sized the fire ring's from two to one. It was a peaceful setting, but not very quiet because of the wierd noise from the power lines above.
Snowbrushy - believe it or not, that's where I was first imprinted on the mountains and woods - Stampede Pass, the weather station, and the hillsides and huckleberry fields on the east slopes below the pass. It looked like hell 40 years ago and it still looks bad, but I still love it there. Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostMon May 09, 2005 8:54 am 
Cliff, There is an OK campsite awaiting you for your return visit to Stampede Pass, as I described. And if you get bored in camp you can alway's busy yourself with policing-up the many, many shell casings and beer can's left behind from last seasons macho deer hunter's. guns.gif (don't get me wrong I had a fun time up there. free camping!)

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
hikermike

hikermike
PostMon Jul 11, 2005 9:59 pm 
If it's a ski area and it's named Monad, then I would check and see if there's an old Northern Pacific rail line nearby. Would make sense if they added their own name to a little lake for notariety.

hyak.net

hyak.net
PostSun Jul 17, 2005 3:10 pm 
hikermike wrote:
If it's a ski area and it's named Monad, then I would check and see if there's an old Northern Pacific rail line nearby. Would make sense if they added their own name to a little lake for notariety.
Northern Pacific did start a ski area, in 1939 it was opened on the east portal of the Stampede Pass Tunnel and was called the Snow Dome. It only lasted 3-4 years when it was shut down due to WWII. In 1946 they sold it to the UW and they ran it for around 10 years as the Husky Chalet, still only accessed by train from the NP. They had a couple of rope tows, but after the lodge collapsed in the mid 50's due to extreme heavy snowfalls it was never rebuilt. NP had no interest in ski areas after WWII and the NP ski area was not related to in any way to the Mountaineers Meany Hut ski area which was located about 1/2 mile away. FWIW http://hyak.net/lost

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostMon Aug 29, 2005 6:38 pm 
I found this piece. http://www.historylink.org/essays/output.cfm?file_id=1685 I'm seriously confused now. uhh.gif Northern Pacific may have shared the line with Milwaukee Road and both railroad companies could have operated small ski resorts at the area during that period.

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostTue Aug 30, 2005 12:53 am 
Northern Pacific ran through Stampede Pass, CM&St.P ran through Snoqualmie. They never shared a route over the cascades.

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostTue Aug 30, 2005 6:29 pm 
Hmmmm ?
Maybe Hyak.net can clear this up. If Northern Pacific RR ran a ski area called Snow Dome at Snoqualmie then how did they own/lease the property if Milwaukee Road probably owned most of the land there? And how did skier's get to Snow Dome, on the Milwaukee's train? Hey Hyak, You there?