Forum Index > Trip Reports > Oly NP coast trip, Sept holiday weekend
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
strider

strider
PostWed Sep 04, 2002 9:59 pm 
Geez, talk about pressure! Introduce yourself on this board and you immediately owe a trip report. OK, lessee.... Took a planned-at-the-last-minute walk last weekend, spent a couple of days on the beach North of LaPush in the Oly N.P. Family weekend plans fell thru and my friend Merlyn was already headed out there to do some beach time, so I quick-packed and sprinted for trailhead Satourday morning. Sunshine until I reached the coast, then foggy, drizzly, and foggy. Cool and gray for a couple of days, easy walking due to very small high tides, didn’t need to worry much about having headlands blocked by high tides. Could pretty much walk whenever I wanted or needed to. Headlands, rocks, and tide pools were cranked up with summertime life. Made for some slick walking, but lots of interesting intertidal stuff to see. Beach was typical summer beach. Shortage of high tides and storms left beaches covered with seaweed that was decaying where it sat. That brews up some interesting aromas. Saw some carcasses as well - a seal, a couple of rays, and quite a few dead birds, seagulls mostly but one dead eagle. Every now and then the world offered up some rank smell to walk thru, what fun..... Caught up with Merlyn, flew my tarp (didn‘t take a tent, no need for one in the summer), and settled in. Ocean was in a somber mood. Not much wind, little surf, and the world was all shades of gray. Visibility ranged from 50 feet to maybe ¼ mile for the first day. No sunset, no stars. Dayhiked the second day. Discovered that a Boy Scout from Mercer Island made some repairs and maintenace to the lookout shack South of Cedar Creek as an Eagle project. The shack was originally built in 1942 as part of the coast watch system instituted during WWII. It had been in quite sorry shape for some years now. In addition to repairs, there was a book (laminated, 9 pages or so) of information the scout had assembled as part of his research into the shack. Great read, photos included as well as a pretty comprehensive historical review of the coast watch program and the individual watch station. The kid did a real nice job. If you’re ever on that stretch of the coast, you have to find the shack and read the story. Bided time in the fog, hoping for that magic moment when the ocean might change her somber mood. It happened Sunday afternoon around 2. The sun burned the fog away, it was instantly blusky and warm. That evolved into splashing in the ocean, beach fire, celebratory beer, sunset, and finally a glorious starry night. Fine rewards for being patient. To round out the fun, the hiking gods tossed in seemingly endless clouds of birds, lots of seals, four or five sets of fawns, raccoons, otters, and various chipmunks and squirrels, it added up to lots of critters. Woke up Monday morning, opened my eyes, and a weasel was giving me the evil eye. We were nose to nose, about ten inches apart. I said “Boo!” and poof he was gone. Nice wake up, even though we awoke to a penalty. The penalty for Sundays' sunset and stars was Monday morning rain. Walked out in drizzle separated by bouts of rain. Oh well, at least it wasn’t too cold, didn't even need the raingear. Pretty refreshing walk, in fact. Quite a few people out there, but not as crowded as I expected for the last holiday weekend of summer. What neighbors were about were all pretty cool. On the way home, I came upon a nasty accident on 101 in the twisty bits along Lake Crescent. A head-on that looked like it collected a couple more cars in the bargain. Donno how serious the injuries were, but fortunately the cops were already there so I didn’t have to stop. Not a fun day for someone. My first summertime beach trip in years. It was OK, but winter is where it’s at! Going back in November, and December, and January, and February.... and I won't get lost when I do!"

strider I've never been lost, but I'm frequently uncertain where my destination might be in relation to where I am at the moment....
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool
PostThu Sep 05, 2002 9:01 am 
Lost never! --- very funny! We were just testing you're rescue technique last winter! this year we'll not make the same mistakes we did that trip lol...and we're bringing hens this next trip too!

Honey Badger Don't Care!
Otter

Otter
PostThu Sep 05, 2002 11:07 am 
Sounds Wonderful Strider!!! Tehe.. I love these jabs at H.B... I mean Marmot and I went in in the dark and WE found our way! Tehe! Before you start planning some revenge H.B. i promise to passify you with good beer...hey..what are friends for! biggrin.gif MAn..Strider..are we looking forward to those beach trips!