Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > New direction and agenda for roadless areas
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostThu May 05, 2005 5:34 pm 
Once again Bushweiser has used misdirection to further the profit margins of campaign contributors. Payback is a bitch for the average American Citizen,look there goes a terrorist, cut a social program, look there goes a terrorist, gut education and infrastructure, look there goes a terrorist, pave it. My God, the latest change which opens 50 million acres of formerly preserved roadless area for humanization is obscene. http://www.wilderness.org/NewsRoom/Release/20050505.cfm wildernessed shakehead.gif

Living in the Anthropocene
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostThu May 05, 2005 5:51 pm 
I can't find anything on the White House's website about this. Anyone know where the "official" statement is? You'd think they's make a big splash about the woods being open for raping again. huh.gif Absolutely an AFFRONT IMO. down.gif You folks who oppose it still oppose Wild Sky? Consider it logged if it's not designated Wilderness in time.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostThu May 05, 2005 6:33 pm 
I don't think it will be front and center ML, the majority of Americans were and are against this proposal and if you look at some of the links it tells which areas in which states will be affected, one is The Alpine Lakes Wilderness and Icicle Valley, helping pave the way for DUSEL. I heard of the reversal on several cable news channels and I am a member of The Wilderness Society so I chose there site. wildernessed dizzy.gif

touron

touron
PostThu May 05, 2005 6:55 pm 
Here is the Seattle Times article

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostThu May 05, 2005 7:11 pm 
Agriculture Undersecretary Mark Rey, who oversees forest policy, said the new rule would cut away the legal uncertainty by getting states on the side of the federal government. The word play is so calculated to leave open whatever lobbyist can write up as recommendations or there own verbatim bills. The states do not need to be in alignment with the federal government (code for Bush's agenda) and once again what could not be done at the state level is being superseded by President Bush who throws around his focus group key words and catch phrases and who talks about states rights, except when they differ with his own policy, then we head right to the federalization of any given issue. The guy is a freaking mutant republican, an aberration, I guess we can have all this reversed when a environmental - conservation friendly administration takes office. It mainly affects the West because the East has been clearcut more than a couple times and it's time to move West for the good stuff. Under the framework States can voice opinions but nothing is binding, the talk now is whether the Federal Govt. will allow the oppositions voices to be heard before any new deforestation begins. wildernessed rolleyes.gif

Chief Paulina

Chief Paulina
PostThu May 05, 2005 7:11 pm 
To the victor go the spoils. frown.gif

"Life's been good to me so far" - Joe Walsh
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostThu May 05, 2005 7:49 pm 
Quote:
I don't think it will be front and center ML, the majority of Americans were and are against this proposal and if you look at some of the links it tells which areas in which states will be affected, one is The Alpine Lakes Wilderness and Icicle Valley, helping pave the way for DUSEL.
I'm not finding much info at all on this yet. Can you tell me how this will affect Wilderness? Seems like it wouldn't at all, unless this overturns the Wilderness Act, which I don't think has happened yet.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu May 05, 2005 7:55 pm 
marylou wrote:
I can't find anything on the White House's website about this. Anyone know where the "official" statement is? You'd think they's make a big splash about the woods being open for raping again. huh.gif Absolutely an AFFRONT IMO. down.gif You folks who oppose it still oppose Wild Sky? Consider it logged if it's not designated Wilderness in time.
This is so ridiculous. Do you like to wipe your butt with toilet paper or what? SOME LOGGING IS NECESSARY! If not, STOP USING PAPER PRODUCTS ya hypocrites. *(Hypocrites edited to correct spelling ahla Polecatjose)* Would you relax already. As far as I know YOUR world has not come to an end YET under the Bush administration. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostThu May 05, 2005 8:48 pm 
I was supported by timber money when I was a kid. I'm okay with it, but that does not mean I'm in support of expanding logging into roadless areas, and I've seen no compelling reason for doing so. shakehead.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu May 05, 2005 8:48 pm 
For the last time folks. Check the political bullsh## at the door when you enter nwhikers.net. If you want to talk about roadless areas fine, but this is NOT the place to backside your opinions about campaign reform, social programs, terrorism, education, etc. down.gif mad.gif down.gif

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostThu May 05, 2005 9:06 pm 
Did I just get spanked. smackbum.gif , sorry not trying to turn this into a backpacker.com setting. Regarding the other post, I would say this, look at the trends with deforestation and what follows roads and access historically in forest, just look at facts, and it's not all about humans, it's about the preservation of existing habitats and species which will fall. wildernessed hockeygrin.gif

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostThu May 05, 2005 9:11 pm 
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu May 05, 2005 9:22 pm 
I'm much more worried about the recent trend of converting "roaded areas" to "roadless areas", in effect creating defacto wildernesses and extending wilderness boundaries. I assume these "roadless areas" are not yet wilderness? If so, the real solution is to make them wilderness, not come up with fancy names like "roadless area", or am I missing something?

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostThu May 05, 2005 9:39 pm 
I would say your right Tom, the link below gives some background on the issue from differing perspectives. http://www.waterconserve.info/articles/reader.asp?linkid=33875 wildernessed winksmile.gif

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostThu May 05, 2005 10:48 pm 
Conveying wilderness status takes a little doing. The roadless thing happened overnight by executive order. And can be undone about as easily.

"Profound serenity is the product of unfaltering Trust and heightened vulnerability."