Forum Index > Trip Reports > Monte Cristo/ Glacier basin/5.7.5
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Jeff R
Closet hiker.

Jeff R
Closet hiker.
PostSun May 08, 2005 12:52 pm 
John, and myself arrived at the barlow pass parking lot at 2:30, we gathered up the gear, and rode our bikes to the Monte Cristo townsite by 3:00. We enjoyed a snack, and the old relics that were scattered around for awhile, we were still able to push the " railcar turntable" a complete rotation! At about 4:00 we decided to meander up the Glacier basin trail( I was wearing bike shoes). The water falls were nice, and the sun was out. Shortly above the falls, the snow patchs started and we found a nice spot at the lower part of the basin, to have dinner. After the meal and soaking in the sights, we decided to head back to the town and our bikes ( they were still there!). On the way down, we frolicked around the falls and enjoyed the last bit of sunshine! Riding down the road in the dusk was fun although we were both fairly tired at that point. We arrived back at the S-10( it was still there!) by 8:30 and drove home feeling beat up, yet fulfilled by another great time in the hills! smile.gif
Glacier basin
Glacier basin
glacier water fall
glacier water fall

Ebrace life!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
-lol-

-lol-
PostSun May 08, 2005 1:03 pm 

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSun May 08, 2005 1:13 pm 
Nice, very nice. I like waterfalls, looks like a good place to stop for a dip. wildernessed hockeygrin.gif

Living in the Anthropocene
Jeff R
Closet hiker.

Jeff R
Closet hiker.
PostSun May 08, 2005 1:23 pm 
Thanks guys! The road is in good shape and smooth,with a couple sloppy sections, still driveable if you have the gate key from the commitee. Is the twin bridges part, where the road was washed out, right after the gothic basin trail head? if so there is about 8/12 inchs of water there. There is two(2) blue I beams across the crick, aswell as a wood plank brige by the car ford.

Ebrace life!
Snowshoe Hare
Defunct lagomorph

Snowshoe Hare
Defunct lagomorph
PostSun May 08, 2005 1:38 pm 
Hichen wrote:
Thanks guys! The road is in good shape and smooth,with a couple sloppy sections, still driveable if you have the gate key from the commitee. Is the twin bridges part, where the road was washed out, right after the gothic basin trail head? if so there is about 8/12 inchs of water there. There is two(2) blue I beams across the crick, aswell as a wood plank brige by the car ford.
The "twin bridges" are at the Sauk River, just after the Gothic Basin trailhead. I haven't been up there in a couple years but the last I heard those two blue beams (I think from the old low West Seattle Bridge) were to be part of a replacement bridge(s) over the Sauk, which has a history of eating up and spitting out bridges there. I bet work on it was delayed yet again by recent year's flooding. I'm not sure if it's being done just by volunteers with the Monte Cristo Preservation Association or with help from Snohomish County. http://www.whidbey.com/mcpa/events.html

Plinko

Plinko
PostMon May 09, 2005 1:26 am 
a few more...
Here's a few more photos...I hiked in late Saturday night (07 MAY 2005) and came out Sunday afternoon. The threat of rain kept me off Del Campo, so I made my way Monte Cristo, then up Poodle Dog Pass and Silver Lake, back down to Monte Cristo and up to Glacier Basin, then back out to the car. Weather was generally overcast with a few light sprinkle. Poodle Dog Pass still has a while before it melts out, despite being 300 vert ft lower than Glacier Basin. Snow at Glacier Basin was pretty thin to nonexistant, and you could make it almost the whole way without having to walk on snow (if you're creative in spots). While there at Glacier Basin I ran into a gentleman who was filling a 7-gallon jerry can with "glacier water" beacuse he didn't trust the stuff in his tap. He had no map, no knowlegde of the area, and somehow made it up to Glacier Basin. For those too lazy to do the math, 7 gallons of water is 58.31 pounds (plus additional pack contents, the pack itself and the big jug). That's about 70 pounds! eek.gif and the trail to Glacier Basin is not paticularly tame dizzy.gif
Arsenic Creek
Arsenic Creek
Silver Lake / Silver Pk
Silver Lake / Silver Pk
Glacier Basin
Glacier Basin