Forum Index > Gear Talk > Do you hike with trekking poles in summer?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Jan 01, 2002 4:04 pm 
In general, I've only used trekking poles in the winter. I always figured they just added weight in the summer and didn't think they were really necessary. However, I'm seeing more and more folks use them in all seasons. Just wondering why? To those who use them, is it primarily for balance, or something else? Is the added weight a consideration for you? To those who don't, is it because of weight or do you figure you just don't need them?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostTue Jan 01, 2002 4:20 pm 
I don't use them because they get in the way when going cross country through brush or cliffs.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostTue Jan 01, 2002 4:29 pm 
Never use them in summer. And even in winter they often stay in the pack. In addition to the weight and the snagging on vegetation I just like my hands to be free. My walking stance is to lean forward so the poles encumber more than facilitate.

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostTue Jan 01, 2002 5:01 pm 
I've never used them myself but have been told by those that do that if used properly they will help relieve some of the weight from your legs/feet during the hike as in snow shoeing. Balance, yes, and also can be used to move brush aside to save legs/pants/gaitors. For you bushwackers they would just get in the way and be extra weight. I think they would be used much the same in summer as in winter. NN smile.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
salish

salish
PostTue Jan 01, 2002 5:38 pm 
I've been using trekking poles for two seasons and they have been very helpful for me. I have a bad knee that sometimes gets freaky on me on descents (almost making walking impossible) and the poles have saved my butt a few times. This past Saturday I was chukar hunting a couple of miles up in the hills east of Milepost 10 in the Yakima Canyon on some incredibly steep BLM land, and my knee started going BS on me. I wish I had brought my poles! Poles also make shallow log/water crossings a breeze. The poles may see less use in the coming hiking season because of a little Cho-Pat knee strap that the Doc at UW Sports Med gave me. The strap imparts an even tension on the patella tendon and seems to help quite a bit. I'd like to get rid of the extra weight of the poles.

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
catwoman

catwoman
PostTue Jan 01, 2002 5:42 pm 
Most definitely use them in all seasons. I love them. Help with less impact on your knees..... give you leverage on big steps up..... use to help propel you forward..... gives you something to use to poke at specimens you may not want to touch with your hands smile.gif..... I didn't use them forever until about 1 1/2 years ago and I fell in love with them after the first time I did. At first I thought they'd just be in the way, but I find they are not, and I actually feel more comfortable walking with them. Getting caught in vegetation hasn't really been an issue, so that argument kind of baffles me. One commented that they prefer to not use them and bend forward... hmmm that's not good for your bone structure/posture. So, I guess that's another pro for the poles. cool.gif

catwoman

catwoman
PostTue Jan 01, 2002 5:47 pm 
Oh yeah.... and the balance thing! Very helpful when needing more stability crossing on log bridges or anything else you may need balance for. And I've found that if I trip and start to fall on the trail, that I can usually catch myself with the poles.

PostTue Jan 01, 2002 5:58 pm 
Been using them most of the time in every season for 5 -6 yrs depending on the trip. I guess if you're nothing but a jungle rat, there is no need for them. But often the trips I take start on trails and end up off trail. I think they are the way. They collapse, and stow on or in your pack, so I don't see how they'd hang up on brush anymore than and ice axe. Mine fit well on the side of my pack and don't attract brush anymore than ample nose. But if you're in the brush all day - poles are worthless. Last fall returning from Tomhoi, I ran into an old man walking with two mop handles. As I paid over $100 for my poles, my buddies have never let me live down " the legend of mop handle man".

PostTue Jan 01, 2002 6:06 pm 
Sorry Tom, but to answer your question, I use them for balance and I think they help pull up up the hill if you get a good cadence going. Stability and shock absorbtion going down.

polarbear

polarbear
PostTue Jan 01, 2002 6:38 pm 
I don't own a pair, but have used them and like them.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Jan 01, 2002 7:12 pm 
I use a single *cane* style. It works great to have one hand free and yet still have the carbide tipped cane to lean against. It worked fantastic going up and down Aasgard pass.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Beave

Beave
PostTue Jan 01, 2002 9:36 pm 
tongue.gif I always bring my trekking poles for various reasons: -Eases the strain on leg muscles and knees for both uphill and downhill -Increases stability on unstable surfaces (snow, slimy river rocks, steep talus etc.) -Four points of contact are almost always better than two for both balance and use of power (fording rivers, climbing steep terrain, descending steep terrain) When things get brushy or exposed, it's no big deal to collapse the poles and continue on. When ascending or descending the steep stuff off-trail, I usually jettison my poles up or over the edge and catch up to 'em later. lol.gif Another good way to think about it is this: Imagine you are in the gym benchpressing a large amount of weight.... On the last rep, you can't get it back up, so your spotter gives you a little help and that little bit of help seems like alot and you are able to push it back up and onto the bar.... This is how I think of trekking poles.... Although not in a sheer power kind of way, but more of a "in the long run" or endurance perspective.... Getting your upper body involved in controlling your balance and shifting weight takes alot of strain off your legs, and in the long run will greatly benefit you and distribute the rigors of hiking all over your body, instead of all over your legs.... In my opinion, trekking poles are worth the weight, because they help you carry your weight in a more effecient manner. wink.gif Craig

Dante

Dante
PostTue Jan 01, 2002 10:37 pm 
I got one and tried it for teh first time last fall. I bought it primarily as a pole for my Integral SilShelter or as a pole for my poncho/tarp. I like it. I'll try using it again next summer. It stows out of the way in the back mesh pocket of my pack for brush busting.

scot'teryx
Armchair Alpinist

scot'teryx
Armchair Alpinist
PostWed Jan 02, 2002 12:50 am 
They are a major essential for any mountaineer. I agree with all the pros that others have mentioned on this subject and echo the same response. Have you ever tried to do Mailbox Peak in the winter without them for the descent? Virtually impossible. One would not have made it down the trail on Si today w/o them as well unless you had crampons (I had both and smiled ear to ear) I also need them for the long approaches on Cascade Volcanoes when carrying a 50+ lb pack, the stability of 4 points is so much better for you and your body. I also use the technique that many are using which is the one pole and one axe technique. When it comes to traversing ice and snow, the stability of an axe for the uphill and the pole for the lower - provides such an increased stability to a person's climbing that it must be tried to really enjoy. I really thought poles were stupid when I saw others using them, and then I tried them and trained with them this past year on over 350,000 vertical feet (3 pairs later) and go nowhere w/o them. They are an essential, yet grossly overpriced. Still worth the weight in gold IMO. KCM&DS!

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Jan 02, 2002 1:55 am 
I started using them last summer, after hearing favorable feedback about them. Seemed pretty wimpy ass to me initially, but after trying it out I'm hooked. I find they're either great or useless at about a 50% ratio for what I do. Drawbacks are generally in brush, or snow where you may need an axe anyway. When I'm going to use an axe, that's all I bring. On the flat, I don't use them either. Benefits are greatly reduced knee impact and descent control on all kinds of terrain, especially trail. If you're creeped by descending steep slopes, this will help with confidence, if you're fine on steep already, it adds to speed bigtime. They're great on the talus where it's all shifting, adds two points of contact. Descending a trail with them, you can get into a rythym and really cook, plant them in the middle of every step over creek and fly right across while skipping the middle step, with no impact on landing! Also on open steep ascents, I like the easy, brainless timing of planting poles along with a rest step, it helps me hit the zone.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers