Forum Index > Trail Talk > Talking to hikers....
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostFri Sep 06, 2002 2:46 pm 
Depends entirely on the context. Erik, Bushwhacker, and I met some great kids last weekend on the trail who did the AT last summer. We hiked all the way out with them, jabbering along! biggrin.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostFri Sep 06, 2002 3:14 pm 
As he passes by a group (usually guys in there 20's) an older fella here at work will often say to the last one in line: "Hey, those other guys up there said you are really slow and holding them up!" From what I understand, this leads to some impressive arguments and holds quite a bit of wilderness entertainment value!

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostFri Sep 06, 2002 3:19 pm 
But when I see RanDoggy, I always say wazzup.gif as he whizzes by me! Hey Randy, wazzup.gif, we've got Lake C, and Lake S yet to do this year!!

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Sep 06, 2002 3:22 pm 
why does raindoggy whiz by you? Isn't it more polite to wander off to a discrete distance?

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers

PostFri Sep 06, 2002 3:24 pm 
Quote:
an older fella here at work will often say to the last one in line: "Hey, those other guys up there said you are really slow and holding them up!"
In the immortal words of Newman, "Excellent"!

Alan Bauer

Alan Bauer
PostFri Sep 06, 2002 3:26 pm 
I'm a lot like Tom on this. I'm not much of a people person in general, and certainly do not go out of my way to talk to folks. That said, the further in I am on a hike, or especially the far reduced numbers of hikers I see on my general weekDAY hiking, and I typically will at least say hello to them. However, there are a lot of these people who if I even encounter them are equally as surprised as I am that they saw someone, and if they are moving on by w/o anything to say, I don't start talking either and am perfectly fine. I have no questions to ask them, so it isn't important. Most of my finest conversations are with these people, however, and I take the time to chat with them as they will have great stories to share and insight to an area that I won't even be aware of. Especially the weekday older hikers who really can share historical information at times! Snow Lake type of crowds...I give a quick glance and if they say hello will nod and keep moving before they have a chance to ask me where the drinking fountains are and stop me for the 455th time (don't laugh....that exact question was presented to me by a gal 8 years ago on that trail as I came out from a long lonely hike further in early in the morning....).

Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostFri Sep 06, 2002 3:31 pm 
MtnGoat, you high lake swimmin' dog you, where's that CD?

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostFri Sep 06, 2002 3:33 pm 
Chit Chat
It relates to the venue. If I am at or on the way to the summit I like to talk about nearby peaks and routes. If I am near a lake I usually say: "Hi. My name is Stefan. Would you like to skinny-dip with me."

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostFri Sep 06, 2002 3:40 pm 
I think Dave's got CDs and I think YOU have CDs from the Enchantments....we need to GTG and swap 'em all up! He is a high lake swimmin' doggie! ArooooWOOF! And what about PADDY? He's the greatest! I believe the RanDoggy has not been, er 'indoctrinated' (said mit ein German accent) into the 'permission to pee' set yet......

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Sep 06, 2002 3:45 pm 
Pappy wrote:
In the immortal words of Newman, "Excellent"!
Stolen from the immortal Mr. Burns huh.gif

Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostFri Sep 06, 2002 3:46 pm 
That's one fine memory ya got there Allison. Er, smellin' more and more like car campin' season! Besides, Oktoberfest is fast approaching. Chris *still* has my Enchantments CD! biggrin.gif

Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostFri Sep 06, 2002 4:03 pm 
Can it be done in a day? The girlfriend is about ready to kill me after a summer of mad man outings! Another overnighter may do me in for good. Let me know though, I may be able to score some domestic time off, if the timing is right. I can't believe someone has been there; if Tom hasn't been there no one has!! eek.gif

Ice Girl

Ice Girl
PostFri Sep 06, 2002 5:38 pm 
i have to disagree with you again, i always like to ask how much further it is. Most of the time on new hikes one just doesn't know how much further it really is. Even if you ask, that doesn't mean that you don't have any business there. Some people talk to you or strike up a conversation about what's ahead. Then when you hike along you know what to expect. i think you are just a poop, Pappy. Ice Girl

IBEX

IBEX
PostFri Sep 06, 2002 6:12 pm 
Going for a smile.
When I hear a talkative group approaching, I like to listen for the topic of conversation and then as they pass; I like to insert a witty pun-ish one-liner. I’m just going for a smile… or boo… or a hiss. biggrin.gif If they are quiet; I comment on how loud and talkative they are. clown.gif

"....what is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen...." -Rene Daumel
catwoman

catwoman
PostFri Sep 06, 2002 8:32 pm 
poopy pappy?