Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > East Lake Sammamish trail is a go!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed May 11, 2005 8:59 am 
Finally biggrin.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostWed May 11, 2005 9:14 am 
Yeah, I saw that too. The fight against it was very selfish - many of those houses were built after 1971 when the concept was born and the Rails to Trails act (or whatever it is) was passed - what did they think was going to happen? It's like moving to Lake City, and then complaining about Rick's neon pink legs signage.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Eric
Peak Geek

Eric
Peak Geek
PostWed May 11, 2005 9:23 am 
Typical NIMBY stuff. Even if people lived there before rails to trails, they still moved in knowing that that right of way belonged to the railroad beforehand and could have been activated. I probably wouldn't be thrilled about a trail so close to my house either out of self-interest, but a trail certainly beats having trains passing in the middle of the night.

-lol-

-lol-
PostWed May 11, 2005 11:09 am 

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed May 11, 2005 11:22 am 
The article tells most of this but to clarify the facts. The trail was used as a railroad up to about 1985 we used to live next to it as then there were a lot of old funky cabins near the lake. There was maybe one train a week we called the "butter train" as it just went to Darigold. Discussion of putting a trail there was current even then. It never was these people property as the railroad dates back to the 1890's in fact there was a huge sawmill at Monohan which burned down in the 1920's. My opinion is that most of these people thought the land would be a nice addition to their property rather than hated the concept of a trail that much. Since lakeside property is probably over a million for a lot now I assume almost all of the original owners have probably sold out to new money. If you have ever rode your bike from Issaquah to Redmond on East Lake Samm Way you would appreciate how nice the trail would be for families and for conditioning. I agree it would not be a major hinking destination any more than the Burke Gilman Trail (which is the remainder of the railroad). Gilman is the old name for Issaquah.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed May 11, 2005 1:11 pm 
The property should default to the people who live there! None of YOU would want strangers walking/running/biking in that close to your homes. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
peppersteak'n'ale

peppersteak'n'ale
PostWed May 11, 2005 1:41 pm 
I just drove the length of this trail and noticed some people have already "incorporated" it into their properties using it for parking, gardens and a soccer field. In some places the railroad grade seems to disappear with it going right up against the backs of houses and through the middle of neighborhoods. I'm not sure how they're going to route a walking trail through some of these areas confused.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed May 11, 2005 2:34 pm 
Train tracks that are or arent being used is one thing. F-ing strangers screwing around right there in your yard is quite another. I say again, NONE of you would want such a thing. But you're all fired up to make OTHERS have to deal with it. This is B/S! TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed May 11, 2005 2:53 pm 
We all have strangers walking, riding and jogging right past our property it's called roads sidewalks and bikepaths some of them even ride cars and motorcycles. This is not really any different. Everyone used to walk down the tracks when the trains were there too. The county plan even puts fences on either side.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed May 11, 2005 2:57 pm 
Its NOT the same. What roads, sidewalks or anthing else SPLITS your property? I grew up here. I have friends who live on those tracks. There werent enough people walking down them to make this happen. This is more PC BS. More degridation of property rights. That land should have defaulted to the owners whose land borders BOTH SIDES OF IT!

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed May 11, 2005 2:59 pm 
I have a road that splits my property it is an easement to give the neighbors access lots of people do.

Snowshoe Hare
Defunct lagomorph

Snowshoe Hare
Defunct lagomorph
PostWed May 11, 2005 3:03 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
Finally biggrin.gif
Great news! There was much the same grumbling about the Burke Gilman and yet most people (even those next to it now I bet) would agree it's a positive addition to the communities it passes through. The same with this new trail. I'd be more concerned if a new middle or high school was being built next to me, with all the attendant litter, graffiti and other nonsense, than a multi-use trail. I ride the Burke and Sammamish Valley trails frequently and they seem much cleaner than nearby streets and parks. up.gif up.gif up.gif

Grinch
Local Burger Tester

Grinch
Local Burger Tester
PostWed May 11, 2005 3:13 pm 
The easment across all these properties was for the railroad. I am not an real estate attorney, but usually when an easment is no longer needed the property goes back to the people who own it. The county stepped in and said "we want that land" which they had no right to. The main problem with this section of trail is going to be all the driveways crossing it. People will be cruising on their bikes and cars will be trying to get out of their driveways, I see many collisions happening. I only live 1/2 mile from the trail, ride my bike to Redmond on many occasions, and I think I will still use Eastlake. I don't want to have to slow down for all the driveway crossings. I have used Eastlake for 12 years and been fine.

Damian

Damian
PostWed May 11, 2005 3:17 pm 
Excellent news. I didn't think this would ever end, let alone turn out this way. Can't wait to ride it! Damian

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed May 11, 2005 3:42 pm 
Grinch wrote:
The easment across all these properties was for the railroad. I am not an real estate attorney, but usually when an easment is no longer needed the property goes back to the people who own it. The county stepped in and said "we want that land" which they had no right to.
This is simply not true. The easement was acquired under statute and conveyed to the County. The law and the transfer have been litigated ad naseum and all cases eventually come to an end. The adjacent owners had good attorneys and they certainly would not have missed this if it were the case.