Forum Index > Trail Talk > Bushwhacker Map&Compass workshop
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
dkemp
DoxManDude

dkemp
DoxManDude
PostWed May 04, 2005 11:38 am 
The Bushwhacker Climbing Club presents a Map & Compass workshop, Tuesday evening May 17 and Saturday May 21. The classroom session on May 17 is free and open to the public. I'll introduce the basics of reading topographic maps, discuss compasses and how they are used, and we'll create a travel agenda for an outing. Sorry - there is no GPS component to this workshop. If you are new to navigating by map and compass, you'll learn a bunch. The classroom session will be held at Ballard High School - Room S108. Thats my wife Cynthia's classroom - Go Beavers! Park in the big lot on the north side of the building, come inside, down the stairs, and find S108. Please let me know if you plan to attend so I we'll have the right amount of cookies wink.gif You must be a member of the club to participate in the field outing, and you are welcome to join. On Saturday the 21st we'll spend a day in the mountains practicing map & compass skills and following the travel agendas that we created. The field session will be held in the Cascades, up in the North Fork Skykomish area. This won't be technical terrain, but it will be a strenuous and fun cross-country hike, hopefully with snow. And yes, we might get lost! Er, hmm.... paranoid.gif Please let me know if you plan to attend. Doxey Kemp

Get up early, go all day, come home tired.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
dkemp
DoxManDude

dkemp
DoxManDude
PostMon May 16, 2005 11:06 am 
Here's a reminder about the Map & Compass workshop - Tuesday night May 17 at BHS Room S108. Door opens at 7:00, the "show" starts at 7:30. The classroom session is free and open to the public. The outing is free, but you gotta be a member of the club. You can join the club if you want. If you plan to come, please let me know - email or PM would be appreciated. This is a great opportunity to learn the basics of this crucial backcountry skill. There is a lot of material to cover, so be on-time and expect a fast-paced presentation. Bring your thinking-cap - and bring a compass if you have one. Hoo-wee, hang on, here we go! This will be a lot of fun - hope to see you there! smile.gif

Get up early, go all day, come home tired.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message