Forum Index > Trip Reports > Lake Laura, Gold Lake, Lake Lillian (9/8/02)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Sep 10, 2002 12:29 am 
The weather forecast for Sunday wasn't looking great so I figured it would be a good day for a short hike and a little exploration. Gold Lake northwest of Lake Lillian seemed to fit the bill. I'd been up to Lake Lillian enough times that I decided to try a different route up for variety. The topo map indicated a steep but feasible route to the northwest of Lake Laura. I had second thoughts about this route upon reaching Lake Laura but it turned out to be a relatively easy scramble to the ridge line above Lake Lillian. From here I traversed northwest toward some small ponds at 5020' where a steep boot path led westerly to the saddle at 5220' and then down a dry creek bed to Gold Lake. The water level of Gold Lake appears to fluctate significantly during the year as a definite ring could be seen on the slabs protruding from the southeast shoreline. Upon reaching the outlet at other end of the lake I began to notice raindrops and decided it was time to start heading back. After snapping a few more pictures I quickly made it to the top of the ridge and then back down to the ponds. The rain had made things a little slicker than when I had come up so I decided to continue down to Lake Lillian and take the "standard" route back to Lake Laura. As I approached the car my pace slowed to a crawl as I feasted on ripe berries - the fresh rain only seemed to make them taste that much better up.gif. All in all a great way to spend a rainy Sunday afternoon. Hope you enjoy the pictures.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dante

Dante
PostTue Sep 10, 2002 11:48 am 
Thanks for the report. I made a few trips in that area a couple years ago but never dropped into Gold. The best was to Rampart Lakes via Laura and Lillian. I always wanted to continue northeast via some of the routes in the Cascade Alpine Guide. Kendall Peak Lakes are nice, too.

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostFri Sep 13, 2002 2:45 pm 
There used to be a "made trail" from Lillian to Gold. - I think we talked about it the day we met up on the Ramparts. - Any sign of it? confused.gif

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Sep 13, 2002 3:38 pm 
From Lake Lillian to the small ponds there appeared to be a variety of paths. Upon reaching the small ponds they condense into one obvious "boot path" which is probably the "trail" you refer to. Upon reaching the saddle it fades away, presumably because the route down is to follow the dry creekbed.