Forum Index > Trail Talk > Help! I Need Your Perfect Trip Suggestions!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Dante

Dante
PostWed Sep 11, 2002 4:10 pm 
Here's a map: http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=10&n=5267793&e=638317&s=25&size=l From the saddle North of Peggy's Pond, we hiked up the shoulder of point 7020 to about 6200' and then traversed accross the relatively gentle contour lines between 6200' and 6400'. From the outlet of Circle, we climbed and traversed almost due West over the ridge. Then we dropped down to the outlet of Venus. The last bit was a little trickier than it looks. You can walk down Venus's outlet to Spade on exposed bedrock. Once you find the trail(s) on the south side of Spade you can follow it down to Waptus. Note: The Trail Creek trail fords the Waptus River, so be prepared to wade. Another alternative: Beach hike--Bring the baby and hike the Ozette Loop or go north from Ozette and cross the Ozette river to lose the crowds. You could also take a baby to Shi Shi from the north. We did it when our kids were just a little older. One parent carries the kid and a few odds and ends and the other carries everything else.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Alan Bauer

Alan Bauer
PostWed Sep 11, 2002 4:22 pm 
Thinking about what time of year it is now, I can't think of a place I'd rather hike if I had the freedom for a 2-3 day outting than to start high, stay high, and hike the crest amongst the larches out of Harts Pass. The drive there is about the most exciting in the state to start off with. Then you can hike a list of possible destinations, all offering great views, great fall colors, great camping, and little elevation gains which is great for lazy non-used legs which may not be up to "September Leg" standards. smile.gif I was up there October 1st last year and it was the funnest weekend of 2001 for me, and the larches were at their prime at that time.

Curt

Curt
PostWed Sep 11, 2002 4:39 pm 
>>Another alternative: Beach hike--Bring the baby<< We absolutely love the Olympic Coast. I've done the entire stretch well over a dozen times by now - it was the most popular trip we guided in ONP. I still go back at least once a year or so, but now usually in winter or early, early spring. Lots of mud, insane weather, much adventure. The high country is open so briefly, however, that I really got to get up there. -Curt

Curt

Curt
PostWed Sep 11, 2002 4:46 pm 
>>Thinking about what time of year it is now, I can't think of a place I'd rather hike if I had the freedom for a 2-3 day outting than to start high, stay high, and hike the crest amongst the larches out of Harts Pass. << Any specific trips you'd recommend? The drive's damn long, but possible. A Friday night takeoff is looking more likely all of the time. By the way, Alan, I'd like to thank you for your trip reports, review, photos, and general passion for Central Washington. I "discovered" Central Washington backpacking about 5 years ago - in large part due to you - and have had some of my best trips out there. My regular backpacking buddy and I go out at least twice a winter/spring. We love the openness, warm sun - even on cold days - and coyote song nights. After completing a few of the "trails", we've taken to creating our own trips the last couple of seasons. Pull out a map, find a few lakes, streams, ridges, coulees and connect the dots. We did a trip last winter that had a bunch of bright red lakes - any idea what that was? Some kind of algae? Thanks again, -Curt

ajgoodkids

ajgoodkids
PostWed Sep 11, 2002 4:46 pm 
Curt, Here's your ticket to hiking with a bottle baby, age 6 months to one year: If you feed your child with a bottle out of your hand, you'll have to stop twenty to thirty minutes each hour. Sew a hinge clip to the side of your child carrier, right below the child opening. Attached a Playtex bottle to the hinge clip and rig light-duty shock cord from the bottom of the bottle to lower on the pack to hold the bottle normally upright so it wouldn't drip on the kid. String cord from the bottom of the bottle up through the toy loop at the top of the carrier and down to a carabiner on the front of the pack. When your child is hungry, which is about half the time, clip the carabiner lower on the front of the pack to tip the bottle up. You can feed your child as you hike! We did eight hour dayhikes with happy, well-fed, well-hydrated children enjoying the scenery and occasionally napping. We would only take the packs off once or twice all day to change diapers. We had powdered formula and my wife and I would refill each other's bottles on the fly. The baby-body-bags that look like little sleeping bags with legs work great in a child carrier. They're nice and warm and they fit right into the carrier.
rachel lake
rachel lake