Forum Index > Support & Feedback > Posting terms
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wiki summary

wiki summary
PostThu Sep 03, 2020 2:43 pm 
UPDATED TERMS (9/3/2020) It is disheartening to see this site transform from what was once a positive, fun, spirit filled community to one more often than not dominated by contentious discussion and negativity. In light of this we are going to implement a stricter posting standard. Call it the family rule. Treat this community as you would your family. Give others the benefit of the doubt. Be constructive if raising a valid criticism. Check your negativity at the door. If you have an issue with something in a trip report send a private message intead of calling someone out publicly. Treat others as you would like to be treated. If you just come here to argue, please don't. The bar on the internet may be low, but it really isn't hard to be nice. If you bring negativity to the forum you will be asked to leave. This site won't be going away any time soon, but we can do better. Thanks to the all who have stuck around through the thick and thin and made this site the valued resource it is today, and for many years to come. I will be adding a pop up prompt such that posting will be restricted until these updated terms are read and agreed to.

Wiki summmary last edited by Tom on Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:36 pm (this post can be edited by any member)
Back to top Reply to topic
Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostWed Sep 16, 2015 11:30 am 
up.gif up.gif up.gif Thank you for a good reminder, Tom. The light moderation of this site has allowed for a very beneficial variety of views and experiences. Let's all keep our contributions positive and helpful, like Tom said, so it can be a welcoming place for everyone.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Sep 16, 2015 12:04 pm 
I'm in, will require a bit o' behavior modifcation

Voxxjin
made of hamburger

Voxxjin
made of hamburger
PostWed Sep 16, 2015 12:22 pm 
ok

Cry 'Havoc!' and let slip the dogs of war
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Sep 16, 2015 1:47 pm 
Ok I will try to,not rise to the bait hockeygrin.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostWed Sep 16, 2015 2:46 pm 
Bedivere wrote:
CJ and Bernardo - you guys are very much in the right. The best way to handle things is to not respond but like you, CJ, my first reaction is to always respond. I've always been the kind of person to stand up for myself. the problem as I see it is that, in the past, there have been people who go around making veiled insults and taking things I've written totally out of context or deliberately misinterpreting them then turning them around and using them as a pretext to insult me and no mods did anything about it. I was brought up to handle my own problems and not be the crybaby tattletale unless the problem was just totally out of my hands. If I'm expected to ignore people slandering or insulting me then I'd hope the mods would be a little more on the ball. someone personally attacking other members shouldn't be allowed to just waltz around the site spewing their garbage under the cover of "if you don't like it, put me on ignore."
ditto.gif That pretty much sums up my thoughts.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostWed Sep 16, 2015 5:38 pm 
Just got a dialog box asking that I consider the value-add of posts before submitting. Is this a new feature of NWHikers? Something just for offenders? Is the text of the pledge anywhere for review?

Bernardo

Bernardo
PostWed Sep 16, 2015 5:40 pm 
Tom wrote:
Edit: It seems a few here have not read this post (or taken it to heart) so everyone is being asked to pledge to abide by this request (you will be prompted before posting). Also, to clarify, this is not simply a request for civility. Please consider whether your contribution adds value to this site before posting. If you can't think of anything value added to post I would suggest browsing the trip report forum and thanking someone for their contribution. A little goes a long way. Thanks again and I can't emphasize enough this place is what you choose to make it!
OK, I see this from the first post of this thread answers my question. Nice idea. Many of us probably won't notice this at the beginning of the thread so I am quoting here.

seattlehikertoo

seattlehikertoo
PostMon Nov 30, 2015 10:07 am 
ok

johnmarken

johnmarken
PostThu Dec 24, 2015 1:59 pm 
I appreciate the reminder and emphasis. I stopped posting for a while due to the tone of some discussions. I don't mind being disagreed with at all but adding a personal attack or rudeness wasn't something I cared to deal with. As noted above, some participate in forums to do battle and do like to rise to the occasion so I am happy to see the subject raised.

Bob2005

Bob2005
PostFri Aug 11, 2017 8:51 pm 
I don't know if it is related to the new terms, but I logged in to reply to a TR, entered my reply, and got: "General Error Could not set forums read DEBUG MODE SQL Error : 1064 You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '' at line 1 UPDATE phpbb_users SET user_forums_read = 1066943 WHERE user_id = Line : 656 File : /usr/www/users/caver/www.nwhikers.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php"

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Aug 11, 2017 9:09 pm 
Thanks. No, not related. Should be fixed now. It was a bug with the new post tracking (bookmarking) feature that only manifested one time under rare conditions such as the one you described.

Bernardo

Bernardo
PostSat Oct 06, 2018 1:00 pm 
Things have quieted down here the last fews days, after some fairly acrimonious discussion. Without getting into the issues, we can say there are always going to be differences of opinion. Not just little differences of opinion, but big "you are immoral if you hold that view" differences of opinion. I would suggest we not expect to resolve these issues here. Not because they aren't important, but because this place isn't conducive to debating effectively major moral issues. The strict no politics rule was the best idea ever for this forum. Not expecting to resolve moral issues, doesn't mean not pointing out areas of disagreement. I believe it means not being angry when your view isn't shared, not attacking the dignity of the other person, and not expecting anyone to change even if you make a logical and moral argument. This is a forum about hiking and it turns out hikers have all the views found in our society. We shouldn't expect to all think alike and we should accept that so that we can enjoy talking about hiking. There are other places to hash out differences, the voting booth for one. Instead, maybe we should see NWHikers as a chance to interact safely with people who like hiking but don't necessarily share our views and where, over time, they and we can gain new perspectives by not hating on the people we know are wrong. At the same time bullying should not be tolerated. I think many of us can slip up and type up zinger now and then, but I think we can agree on what bullying is and police it when we see it. It's a tough balance, but NWHikers does a pretty good job being lightly moderated IMV. When the moderators step in, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt based on the work they've done over the years and because invariably they steer the conversation back toward hiking. I should add, I am open to hearing other views on this matter.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSat Oct 06, 2018 3:28 pm 
Good post, Bernardo. up.gif up.gif I wanted to say something about the recently closed thread that was devolving into awfulness, but feared it had gotten too hot to address. There are extremists on both sides. I'd hoped cooler heads would prevail and that we could really advance the discussion and gain some understanding. I'd wanted Tom/Damian to open that thread again, but have since changed my mind, for all the reasons you mentioned. I agree - for whatever a new member's POV is worth - that the moderation I've observed so far is pretty good. A tough job. Going out on a limb here, I think most reasonable people would agree: "Testosterone has a lot to answer for." (I think that's a Lily Tomlinism). On the other hand, it doesn't further the cause of gender relations for women to see/hear "micro-aggressions" everywhere and constantly react at one volume (loud), especially when someone might be unconsciously 'ignorant', but not intentionally mean. See confirmation bias. I've observed this in contemporary race relations, too. As one male member of this forum wrote to me in a PM:
Quote:
Civil discourse was the primary key to Rev Martin Luther King's success. His peaceful non-violent approach contrasted and exposed the bigotry and racism of his enemies.
I'll just leave it at that.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostMon Dec 17, 2018 2:22 pm 
Moderators - you already locked the thread on the Mt Dickerman break-in - really?? It didn't strike me that posters had gotten out of hand - but I suppose someone decided that it was a discussion that "might" get political, or at least not evolve into anything but spinning our wheels. To BK who started the thread - thanks for putting up the post. We really need to know about these incidents, and their frequency. FWIW, the last time I was up on Dickerman (overnight), it was before the parking area was constructed. I stopped at the Verlot station (I forget why) and happened to mention where I'd been. The ranger expressed surprise that my truck hadn't been broken into. Apparently there'd been a rash of break-ins, especially at Barlow Pass; the rangers somehow had a bead on who was doing it (a crew out of Darrington); they'd staked the place out a few times but couldn't catch these guys in the act. The ranger then proceeded to tell me a few horror stories. Break ins are one thing, it's the malicious additional destruction that's rough. One particularly awful story the ranger related was of one guy who had his truck broken into. Finding nothing to steal except a few quarts of motor oil, they proceeded to pour at least one quart all around the inside of the cab. Don't know what the solution to this is; the rangers obviously can't be everywhere. But it would be good to have access to stats re break-ins. I do think the Mt Loop, from Darrington to at least Dickerman & Big 4, are particularly susceptible.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Dec 17, 2018 4:41 pm 
The thread drift debating the societal cause/effect was pseudo political and not hiking related and thus off limits in trail talk regardless of how civil. The thread served its purpose to alert users to theft/vandalism at the Dickerman trailhead.