Forum Index > Trail Talk > Outdoor related personal safety / guns / hunting
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostThu Feb 05, 2009 8:12 am 
Discussion about guns and hunting is only getting more divisive on this site. The mods have all been discussing this, and we've come to a conclusion: This is a hiking site. This is not a hunting forum, nor is it a gun forum. As such, we are going to contain gun and hunting topics as follows: 1) The stewardship forum to discuss advocacy issues. If it's outdoor related* and advocacy related (legislation, poaching, etc.) it goes there. 2) This thread in Trail Talk to discuss personal safety, guns, hunting, gear, etc. If it's outdoor related* and not about advocacy, it goes here. This is place for those who wish to discuss these topics to do so, not a place to debate gun control, mass shootings, etc. *If it's about guns but it's not outdoor (backcountry) related please take it elsewhere. Moderator note: Discussion prior to 9/26/15 has been removed to start fresh with these revised guidelines.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic

MarkS
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostMon Oct 12, 2015 5:00 pm 
Just a reminder that this Saturday, Oct. 17, is the GENERAL BUCK hunting season opener. The hills will be alive with the sound of... and the visibility of fluorescent orange. I'll be in the woods, by the big tree. Fangs of the Tamarack are out in force, BTW.

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence
The Lead Dog

The Lead Dog
PostThu Dec 03, 2015 2:08 pm 
We filled 4 Deer tags this year!!! chickenleg.gif All Whitetail. 3 Bucks and a Doe!!!!

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostMon Dec 07, 2015 8:39 am 
The Swiss take their marksmanship as seriously as do the Americans with their hunting and self protection shooting. Marksmanship is it's own sport for it's own sake. Here is a video of an old Swiss trainer rifle, the K-31 on a casual target range. Sweet bolt action.
Swiss K-31 from the WWII romance-drama movie, Shining Through.

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.

Snow_Knot
Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostFri Dec 25, 2015 10:26 am 
Well then, chocolate isn't the only thing the Swiss do well! Merry Christmas. One and all. Safe travels out there. Remember, fluorescent orange isn't just for hunting safety. In the past few days there have been lost hiker reports. It's easier to spot that bright orange in the dreary winter forests! Take orange along even if it isn't stylish.

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostSat Jan 02, 2016 11:25 am 
I have an old BRNO rifle that had been made for the German infantry in WWII. Now the company is a part of CZ Firearms. I was curious to read this post/review from Pakistan of a BRNO .22 target rifle. http://www.pakguns.com/showthread.php?7154-Review-Brno-22-LR

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Feb 17, 2016 6:17 am 
ANYONE interested in buying an NFA item should do so before July. Everything changes on July 16th. What Im talking about is: suppressors, short barreled rifles and shot guns and automatic weapons. I know Im going to buy two more suppressors and two more SBR's before July to get under the rules change. Short barreled shot guns and automatic weapons aren't allowed in this state, but the other things are. https://silencerco.com/blog/2016/02/...about-atf-41f/

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostWed Mar 02, 2016 9:07 am 
This is an old picture of Joseph Meek who was the first marshal of Oregon Territory with his guns.

Bird in Hand

Bird in Hand
PostThu Mar 03, 2016 7:39 am 
This photo seems to show a man, with whom thou shalt not screw

kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostSun Mar 13, 2016 9:51 am 
I have a Swiss made bayonet for the old Mauser - it's a beautiful piece

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Mar 31, 2016 1:13 pm 
If you hadn't seen this already -- here is a comprehensive table of all the known fatalities in Mt Rainier National Park LINK The first fatality in the park (1897) is interesting: "GUN FELL FROM POCKET, STRUCK IN NECK"

trestle

trestle
PostThu Mar 31, 2016 2:19 pm 
Quite a few suicides on that list. frown.gif

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Mar 31, 2016 8:55 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
The first fatality in the park (1897) is interesting: "GUN FELL FROM POCKET, STRUCK IN NECK"
Those early revolvers didn't have a safety system. You were SUPPOSED to keep the chamber the hammer was on empty to prevent that from happening.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Apr 01, 2016 6:08 am 
Yeah, what I don't quite get is the "fell from pocket" thing. If you need a firearm, seems like a harness/holdster to properly carry it makes sense. I wouldn't want to be fumbling in my pocket in the event that I needed to protect myself. Reminds of an incident at Lowes recently, a guy was carrying a glock in the waistband of his sweatpants, it started to slip down his leg, he grabbed at it - and since the safety was off - it discharged and the bullet ripped up his thigh pretty good. Luckly it missed the femoral artery, so he survived. I don't get spending many hundreds on a firearm and then being too cheap to buy a holdster for carrying it safely and with ready access.

lee

lee
PostFri Apr 01, 2016 7:19 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
and since the safety was off - it discharged
BTW: Glock's do not have a safety that can be selected "on" or "off".
RandyHiker wrote:
I don't get spending many hundreds on a firearm and then being too cheap to buy a holdster for carrying it safely and with ready access.
Agree 100%....

Lee