Forum Index > Gear Talk > Schoeller Dryskin - Who owns some?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool
PostWed Sep 25, 2002 7:50 pm 
Once again, I must ask our troll, no one is encumbering you with any new gear so I cease to understand your problem? Physical capabilities have little to do with equipment so you're bragging is pointless. Hike your own hike.

Honey Badger Don't Care!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
sofia lowrent

sofia lowrent
PostWed Sep 25, 2002 8:08 pm 
As usual, an argument can be made either way. Most people carry a flashlight. Few people hike carrying a lit candle. If you carry a flashlight, why not use the latest and greatest LED with batteries that last forever. If you are battling the Moors in Spain do you want to have heavy clunker swords or the stuff made out of the finest steel from Toledo? Holy cow, gear does matter afterall! Should Alfonso XI use the same gear that Alfonso II used nine generations ago? Is seeing Cinerama better than shoeboxing it? huh.gif On the othert side of the coin, gear isn't everything and certainly doesn't make the hike. If that were the case, why not backpack around the neighborhood? -Sofia L.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Alfonso VI

Alfonso VI
PostWed Sep 25, 2002 8:10 pm 
I agree that compromising is the way to go. Not too heavy, not too light makes for a hike that's oh so right.

Dante

Dante
PostThu Sep 26, 2002 8:02 am 
I'm actually with El Cid on the topic at hand. I use a Nylon shell for wind protection (It was the lightest one I could find when my old one died. I won't mention the name of the manufacturer. Wouldn't want to offend anyone rolleyes.gif ). Depending on conditions I wear my favorite lightweight wicking polyester or Merino Wool (Merino is a kind of sheep not a brand wink.gif ). Isn't that fancy "yuppy" fabric faced in Merino? Anyway, I like the flexibility of this old fashioned system because I can wear either garment alone. For example, sometimes I wear just the nylon shell for sun and bug protection. I wouldn't go as far as hobnailed boots and goldline, but have you ever noticed how close a new ultralight outfit is (except for the materials) to the stuff people carried before WWII? In Hemmingway's "Big Two Hearted River" Nick Adams is carrying a tarp with bug netting, a rucksack, a pot and a blanket or two. Today, the tarp would be Nylon, the blanket would be a sleeping bag and the pot would be Al or Ti (and Nick would have to carry a stove wink.gif ). Another example is the following "100 Year Old LW Gear List posted over at the Lightweight Forums at http://www.backpacking.net/bbs.html. Just go throught the list and substitute similar items made of modern materials. WEAR Woolen gauze undershirt. Woolen gauze (or balbriggan) drawers. Woolen socks, winter weighr, natural color. Army overshirt, olive drab chambray (or flannel). Silk Nechercheif, 27x27 in. Khaki Trousers, extra suspender buttons. Invisible suspenders. Leather belt, narrow. Army shoes, cone-headed Hungarian nails. Army leggings, canvas. Felt hat, medium brim, ventilated, felt sweat-band. IN POCKETS Left shirt-- Map sections, in cover. Leaf of Almanac. Notebook and pencil. Right shirt--Compass. Left trousers--Purse. Waterproof match box, flat pattern. (as reserve) Right trousers--Pocket knife. Fob--Watch. Left hip--Pipe. Tobacco. Right Hip--Bandanna handkerchief. ON BELT Right side front--Waterproofed matches (50) in leather belt-pocket. Right side rear--Sheath knife. ON BACK Duluth Pack Sack, 24x26 in..........................2lbs. 4oz. Shelter cloth, 7x9 ft., waterproof.................2lbs. 4oz. Mosquito net, 68x72 in.................................. 4oz. U.S.A. blanket, summer weight, 66x84 in.....3lbs. Browse bag, 32x78 in...................................1lb. Pillow bag, 20x 30 in..................................... 3oz. Rubber cape, 34in.........................................1lb 5oz. Stag shirt........................................................1lb. 8oz. Spare suit underwear and socks, as above..1lb. 2oz. Tomahawk, muzzled....................................... 12oz. Side cutting pliers, 5 in..................................... 4oz. Carborundum whetstone, 4x1x1/2 in............... 2oz. Wallet fitted with small scissors, needles, sail card, sail twine, buttons, safety-pins, horse-blanket pins, 2 short rigged fish lines, spare hooks, minnow hooks with half barb filed off, sinkers, snare wire, rubber bands, shoe laces. 6oz. Strong twine in bag........................................... 1oz. Aluminum frying pan (8 5/8 in.), plate, fork, white-metal dessert spoon, dish towel, in bag......................1lb. 1oz. 2 Aluminum buckets (1 qt.) in bag...................... 14oz. Tin cup, seamless 1pt.)........................................ 3oz. Nails and Tacks.................................................... 3oz. Cheesecloth, 1 yard............................................. 1 oz. Fly dope in pocket oiler........................................ 2oz. Talcum powder in wpf bag................................. 1oz. Comb, toothbrush, tiny mirror, bit of soap in wpf bag, rolled in small towel secured by rubber bands................. 6oz. Toilet paper.......................................................... 1oz. First Aid kit............................................................ 5oz. Spare matches in tin box secured by adhesive plaster...2oz. Electric flasher, flat, round corners..................... 5oz. Total Pack without provisions...........................18lbs. 3oz.

El Cid

El Cid
PostThu Sep 26, 2002 11:10 am 
Dante, interesting addition to the conversation. Allison, shut up yourself.

Dante

Dante
PostThu Sep 26, 2002 11:37 am 
Hey, the guy was probably a gear freak. Aluminum was a relatively exotic metal 100 years ago--sort of like Titanium is today wink.gif Anyone here carry a tomohawk? eek.gif P.S. El Cid, if you are passing me on the trail it is probably because you are in better shape and not because your pack is lighter--I only carry 10 to 15 pounds of overpriced yuppy gear plus food, fuel and water tongue.gif