Forum Index > Trip Reports > Two Days in OR, Smith Rock, Black Butte, Crater Lake, Yamsay
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostSun Oct 02, 2016 7:10 pm 
I found myself in Oregon with two free days. I decided to hike despite not having done any research. I looked at google maps on my phone and picked out some short easy hikes, since I didn't have all my gear. Thank goodness for smart phones with mapping technology and micro-cameras. September 29 The last time I was at Smith Rock was for climbing and my partner teased me that I couldn't handle not going to the summit of something. This time I returned specifically for Misery Ridge 3360' which we had been close to before while climbing on the Red Wall.
Black Butte 6436' stands out on google maps. It's got a good view of the other volcanoes. I was pleasantly surprised to find a lookout tower on the summit. It was currently occupied and a sign discouraged ascending the stairs.
Llao Rock 8049' is a short jaunt up from the rim road. According to Peakbagger, five of the Oregon Top 100 are are located on the rim of Crater Lake. I had no idea.
Mount Scott 8929' was my last hike of the day. It was windy and cold up there. It too had a lookout on top. I was tempted to cut directly down from the peak to the trail head, but didn't do it.
September 30 I picked up where I left off with Dutton Cliff 8147'. Just a short hike up the Dutton Ridge and from there a fine view down at Phantom Ship island which is right below. Around this time I started noticing something attractive to the southwest which I later learned is Union Peak. If I ever return, I'd like to hike up there.
Next up was Garfield Peak 8054' which has a trail to it. From there I continued off-trail eastward and scrambled up Dyar Rock 7840' and then continued east to Applegate Peak 8126'. The summit of Applegate has a nice bench-like rock and I sat there and ate an apple which seemed appropriate. The view of Phantom Ship from Applegate is really great.
Road work halted my clockwise progress, but eventually I drove to and parked at the saddle between Hillman Peak 8151' and The Watchman 8013'. I started with Hillman and was surprised by a bit of scrambling up top. I then returned to the saddle and hiked the trail up The Watchman which had a lot of people on it. On the summit I came to the third lookout of the trip.
There was time for one last hike so I picked out Yamsay Mountain 8196' to the east and drove over there. On the way a clump of trees fell into my lane. It must have been an omen. I didn't know what I was getting myself into, but Yamsay has more downed trees on it than I've ever seen anywhere on any mountain. It must have to do with sandy soil in combination with wind or something. I stepped over or walked around hundreds of downed trees while hiking the 6+ miles up and down the peak.
S**t just got real!
S**t just got real!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostMon Nov 28, 2016 6:43 pm 
Just noticed this TR. Thanks for the memories at Crater Lake. I went up there a few years ago and visited The Watchman. Great times despite being cold as hell biggrin.gif

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostThu Jun 07, 2018 1:29 pm 
Good stuff, Adam