Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Kelsey Plum--UW women's basketball
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Dec 11, 2016 6:14 pm 
I couldn't pass up the opportunity to go to the game today and see history being made. Plum broke the Pac 12 Conference career scoring record (men's and women's). With more than half the season left to play, she's gonna put that record well out of reach of anyone else for the foreseeable future. She finished with 44 points today and put on quite a show. Sue Bird was in attendance and walked right past me on her way out.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon Jan 09, 2017 2:50 pm 
Kelsey has been on fire all year. Averaging over 30 points per game, leading the nation in scoring. Went to the game yesterday (after the power was restored; game was delayed by about an hour) against UCLA. Dropped 39 on the hapless Bruins, they couldn't stop her. If she continues on her current pace and assuming they play several games in both their conference tournament and then the NCAA Tourney, she's going to become the all time leading scoring in Division 1 women's basketball. Many assumed Jackie Stiles' record was untouchable. But as they say, records are made to be broken.

gb

gb
PostMon Jan 09, 2017 8:27 pm 
Aware to a degree of Kelsey Plum's and the U of W women's basketball success, I looked her up on the UW women't website; going into this year: http://www.gohuskies.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=3554 The one thing I found a bit surprising that up until this year, Kelsey's FG percentage was lower than I would have expected. But then part of that is 3 pt. shooting and I also don't know that much about women's basketball statistics.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon Jan 09, 2017 9:27 pm 
Yeah she's always been a high volume shooter and sometimes not great percentages. What's helped her scoring throughout her career is getting lots of trips to the free throw line where she's almost automatic. But this year her shooting percentages and efficiency numbers are off the charts, truly elite. 50% overall on field goals, 40% on 3 point field goals and 90% on free throws is an absolute gold standard, and she's doing that this year. Her assist to turnover ratio is drastically improved as well. She's always been good but she's taken a quantum leap this year.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Jan 15, 2017 8:16 pm 
Today Kelsey shook off a tough first half to totally take over the 4th quarter and help lead the Huskies to a win on the road at Arizona St. UW is in first place in the conference at this point by a 1/2 game over Stanford and Oregon St. Kelsey finished w/ 34 points and today passed legendary players Cheryl Miller, Chamique Holdsclaw, Maya Moore and Elena Delle Donne on the career scoring list. Not a bad day.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Jan 29, 2017 9:55 pm 
Went to another game tonight, vs. Stanford. Pretty sure they announced over the PA it was the first sellout for a women's game ever at UW. I think it was 10,000 plus a few, there weren't enough seats for everybody at times during the game. Kelsey was phenomenal. 44 pts. 17-27 from the floor and 7-8 on 3 pointers. Unfortunately she got pretty much no help, the rest of the team stunk. Especially in the 2nd half. Everybody other than Kelsey only scored 5 points the last 20 minutes of the game. That doesn't cut it. Stanford slowly chipped away at a 12 point halftime deficit and ended up winning by 4. Kind of a bummer. I think she's now #3 all time on the scoring list behind only Britney Griner and Jackie Stiles. Her scoring hasn't dropped off at all, she's definitely on pace to break the record, assuming they play a few games in the conference tournament and the NCAA Tournament. Stanford and Oregon St. are tied for first in the conference, UW and UCLA are one game back, and pretty much everybody else is eliminated already at this point, around halfway thru. Pretty sure Russell Wilson and his wife were sitting right behind the Stanford bench tonight. His younger sister Anna plays for Stanford, but she never even entered the game. I was a long way away, but it looked like him from a distance and it makes sense he would be there (wasn't on the Pro Bowl roster, I checked).

trestle

trestle
PostMon Jan 30, 2017 1:22 pm 
Worst shooting night of the year for the team let down another superlative effort by Plum. Shots that have been falling all year simply didn't. However, amazing turn-out by the fans but perhaps it made the shooters a little tight. Kelsey Plum reminds me a little bit of Danielle Lawrie. In the sense of a dynamo carrying her team on her back, with fundamental contributions from her teammates. PAC-12 officiating is not consistent in any sport. It's a detriment to their players, fans, and coaches.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
gb

gb
PostMon Jan 30, 2017 5:16 pm 
I watched on TV and was impressed with Kelsey. But if that game displayed the athletic ability and effort of the rest of the team, the UW isn't going anywhere. Stanford had by far the better athletes and put out much more effort.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Jan 31, 2017 2:32 pm 
As trestle noted the rest of the Huskies just couldn't get a shot to go in. This game was an anomaly, not indicative of how the rest of the season has gone. Watched a replay on TV after I got home from the game and it was even worse the second time. Just inexplicably poor shooting, I can just about guarantee they won't play that badly again the rest of the year. Last year UW went to the Final 4 and this year's team has been SIGNIFICANTLY better during the regular season than last year's team was. Doesn't guarantee they'll get back to the Final 4 but as far as going nowhere, I'd hold off on that sentiment.

trestle

trestle
PostTue Jan 31, 2017 8:24 pm 
The rest of the team shot a historically low 16.1% from the field. While I don't dispute the Huskies lack of foot speed (other than Plum), they typically play with a high IQ and shoot very well to overcome any lack of athleticism. It's a formula that works from time to time particularly in college basketball, part of why it remains unique from the pro game.

trestle

trestle
PostThu Feb 23, 2017 10:38 pm 
A good article in the Times today: Kelsey Plum seeks 50-40-90. And another victory tonight against Colorado.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Feb 23, 2017 11:40 pm 
I forgot about this thread. Plum and the Huskies have kept rolling along. They are 1 game out of 1st place in the conference but co-leaders Stanford and Oregon St. play each other on Friday, so the Huskies will likely end the season tied for 2nd place. Plum is now 53 points away from tying the career scoring record, should do that in 2 more games. Senior Night is on Saturday against Utah, gonna go to that one.

trestle

trestle
PostSat Feb 25, 2017 11:20 am 
Enjoy the game!

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSat Feb 25, 2017 6:03 pm 
trestle wrote:
Enjoy the game!
Oh my goodness! Plum was phenomenal today. 57 points, now the all time career scoring leader in women's NCAA Division 1 history. It was just short of a sellout today and the crowd was rockin'! Utah was pesky, UW couldn't quite shake them but the Huskies won 84-77. They did the ceremony for the Senior players after the game, that was fairly emotional.

trestle

trestle
PostSun Feb 26, 2017 1:33 pm 
Missed it live but caught the replay late at night. A game for the ages by Plum and another win for UW. I hope they have a long run in both tournaments but I worry about their reliance on perimeter shooting. They are going to miss the athleticism of Talia Walton but perhaps their improved shooting depth can carry them through. And I have to say, yet again, it was another poorly officiated PAC12 athletic contest. Across the board, sport to sport, gender to gender, the officiating in the PAC12 is horrible and a detriment to the student-athletes.