Forum Index > Trail Talk > Interview: Tom Davenport talks about the beginning of NWHikers
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cascade Hiker Podcast
Cascade Hiker Podcas

Cascade Hiker Podcast
Cascade Hiker Podcas
PostMon Feb 06, 2017 3:21 pm 
Listen HERE: http://northcascadehiker.com/cascade-hiker-podcast/044 Tom Davenport explains the history of nwhikers.net, a much needed website that gave hikers a forum to discuss hikes and destinations. He talks about some of the people that helped start the site and some of the early contributors. NWHikers gave hikers a place to talk to one another about hikes before social media opened the door. He speaks about the difference early on between his site and the WTA trip reports. NWHikers.net is still a very active forum with lots of fun discussions. The main page offers many distinct categories from Trail talk, trip reports and on trail stewardship to History and trip planning. http://northcascadehiker.com/cascade-hiker-podcast/044

Check out my hiking podcast at www.northcascadehiker.com

seawallrunner
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Damian

Damian
PostMon Feb 06, 2017 7:29 pm 
Good work Tom. Great memories.

RichP

RichP
PostMon Feb 06, 2017 8:04 pm 
Great to hear the background story of the forum. up.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Feb 06, 2017 8:11 pm 
Thanks I was just out running errands and listened to it in the car. How could I have forgotten to mention the angry hiker"s trip reports haha. I also wish I had mentioned some of IBEX's tales in the history forum. Thanks to Rudy for having me on the podcast. I'll have to listen to some other interviews when I'm out driving. Safer than texting or surfing NWH. clown.gif

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors
PostMon Feb 06, 2017 8:26 pm 
That's really cool!

The Pacific coast to the Great Plains = my playground!!! SummitPost Profile See my website at: http://www.lemkeclimbs.com
jstern

jstern
PostMon Feb 06, 2017 8:34 pm 
up.gif up.gif

"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
mbravenboer

mbravenboer
PostMon Feb 06, 2017 9:39 pm 
Nice interview!

Damian

Damian
PostMon Feb 06, 2017 9:42 pm 
How much did Kim Brown pay to have her name mentioned so many times? clown.gif

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon Feb 06, 2017 10:41 pm 
Well, poor Tom didn't remember either of the things I had mentioned to Rudy. The history one was a guy who posted a picture of his grandparents when they were quite young, on a mountain or ridge top. The guy was hoping someone could identify where his grandparents were. Based on the scenery in the background, several people id'd it (Monte Cristo area), and one person even posted a recent picture he took, of the exact scene taken from the same location. That post was quite a few years ago, but it was cool as hell. The other was just a couple of years ago; a woman posted a picture of her hike somewhere along I-90 on Facebook that afternoon, but never showed up back home. SAR was out looking for her, and a friend found this site and posted that Facebook post. I think puzzlr identified the trail and exact location she was standing when she took the photo. But at any rate, NWHikers id'd the trail. I should have mentioned the advice we give to out of state or out of country visitors, including Dan Masse from France, who, after his Glacier Peak climb, came to an emergency social we called, so we could meet him.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Feb 06, 2017 11:17 pm 
It does ring a bell now that you have eloquently summarized. I think Rudy might have relayed the version heard after $1 off your first pint at River Time Brewing in Darrington.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostMon Feb 06, 2017 11:38 pm 
Tom wrote:
How could I have forgotten to mention the angry hiker"s trip reports haha.
Exactly! I just finished listening to this and when he asked for stories or fabled story tellers I thought for sure A.H. would be mentioned. wink.gif 'Great to learn some of the history of the site and how it all fits together. ~z

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostTue Feb 07, 2017 12:16 pm 
I really enjoyed listening to the podcast and learning about the history of NWHikers, as I've only been a member since 2013. Thanks Tom for taking the time to do this, and thanks for highlighting the importance of our trip reports. The forum provides a unique opportunity for members to post their trip report whether it's a long dissertation with lots of "eye candy", or just a one sentence "lazy trip report" with no pictures. Thanks Rudy and keep those podcasts coming!

Cascade Hiker Podcast
Cascade Hiker Podcas

Cascade Hiker Podcast
Cascade Hiker Podcas
PostTue Feb 07, 2017 1:07 pm 
I appreciate all of the feedback. Tom really was a great person to interview! Some folks aren't as easy to get answers out of. Also, I have never met Kim, but I respect her position in the hiking community and we share quite a few hiking friends.... I don't believe she has had the dollar off the first pint! HAHA Maybe if I had a deal with Tony's Mountain Loop Books and Coffee right Kim! I should mention that Tom was my 44th podcast. I am sure there are others that you may enjoy. I will keep posting the new ones. Happy trails!!

Check out my hiking podcast at www.northcascadehiker.com
iron

iron
PostTue Feb 07, 2017 1:27 pm 
i thought it was really well done. the interviewer's mic needs to be turned up a bit to match his guest's voice. great to learn more of the history. would be cool if there was a sticky in the history forum with this podcast plus, perhaps, a written version by tom. tom: thanks for all the work you've put into the site. bar none, this is my #1 forum and has connected me with dozens, if not hundreds, of really awesome people. i'm sad that the glory days seem to be over, but that's okay too. as you noted in the podcast, FB will see less penetration than NWH. i think that's a good thing in terms of preventing the overcrowding of those really special, off the beaten path places. best to let those TRs simmer in solitude (just like TAY).

Mesahchie Mark
A Lerxst

Mesahchie Mark
A Lerxst
PostTue Feb 07, 2017 2:31 pm 
I, too, really enjoyed the podcast! up.gif It is fascinating how something can start from such humble beginnings and grow into something with a life of its own. My thanks to Tom, Michael and the moderators for keeping this site going. I must admit that I have taken NWHikers for granted in the past, but now, with the clarity of hindsight, I realize just how much I would miss it if it were gone. I cannot overstate the positive impact NWHikers has had on my life. And the trip reports - they are gold!!!! I often find myself revisiting my old TRs, especially when I'm stuck indoors (like now embarassedlaugh.gif). And when I'm planning something new, it is so easy to search for old TRs from which to get ideas and information. Keep on rocking, NWHikers! rockband.gif rocker.gif

Cheers, Mesahchie Mark