Forum Index > Photography Talk > What to do with old lenses
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostWed Jan 11, 2017 9:07 am 
I have a bunch of pre-digital camera lenses that I somehow acquired from my dad. Tamron, Sigma, and other brands. We've sold what we could to Kenmore Camera. They do technically work with digital cameras, with the proper adapters, but you can only shoot on manual of course. Does anyone want to look at them? Is there any place I can donate them? Or are they just to go to a thrift store where they'll languish? Some of them are really nice telephotos, I think there is even a wide-angle lens. Any ideas on what to do with these?

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostWed Jan 11, 2017 10:59 am 
What kind of mount do they have? I love old lenses, and actually prefer shooting manual.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
mike

mike
PostWed Jan 11, 2017 11:28 am 
contact KEH and see what they'll give you. Maybe Kenmore took everything worthwhile or maybe not.

Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostFri Jan 13, 2017 6:15 pm 
NacMacFeegle, I'm kind of embarrassed, but I'm not sure what you mean? They are all different brands that fit on older 35mm film cameras. I remember that some of them never fit the Minolta camera I had, and for others we had to get an adapter to get them to fit. I'm not sure how in the world we got so many! I've been holding onto them for years because my husband liked looking at them, but we haven't even used most of them ever. One or two of them fit our Sony DSLR, not sure about our Nikons. I do know when we switched to digital, we looked into what it would take to get adapter rings for them, and it seems it was possible at that time to buy rings for them. Does this help? If you're anywhere near the Seattle area, I'd be happy to meet you somewhere so you can see them. Mike, thank you, I will check that site out. Looks cool! Have you used them before?

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostFri Jan 13, 2017 6:42 pm 
If you wanted to post pictures of them, I bet there are enough here that could identify them for you (plus it might spur interest from possible buyers too). Just be sure as many markings and brandings are visible as possible (the lens mount itself is helpful too in many cases).

NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostFri Jan 13, 2017 10:56 pm 
Hiker Mama wrote:
NacMacFeegle, I'm kind of embarrassed, but I'm not sure what you mean?
Nothing to be embarrassed about! Every camera maker has its own system with which lenses are attached to the camera body, and to complicate things further they periodically change that mount. For example, in the days of film Canon had their FD and FL lenses, but later switched to the EF mount seen today.
Hiker Mama wrote:
One or two of them fit our Sony DSLR
That makes sense seeing as you had a Minolta camera. Minolta sold off its DSLR business to Sony in 2006, and I think Sony may have adopted their lens mount for their DSLR's.
Hiker Mama wrote:
we looked into what it would take to get adapter rings for them, and it seems it was possible at that time to buy rings for them.
Yeah, most old lenses are fairly easy and cheap to adapt to modern cameras - except for those lenses with bayonet mounts (such as Canon FD).
Hiker Mama wrote:
If you're anywhere near the Seattle area, I'd be happy to meet you somewhere so you can see them.
Unfortunately Seattle is several hours drive away, otherwise I'd love to take a look!
Sore Feet wrote:
If you wanted to post pictures of them, I bet there are enough here that could identify them for you (plus it might spur interest from possible buyers too). Just be sure as many markings and brandings are visible as possible (the lens mount itself is helpful too in many cases).
up.gif Sounds like fun!

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostTue Jan 24, 2017 11:23 pm 
NacMacFeegle wrote:
Hiker Mama wrote:
NacMacFeegle, I'm kind of embarrassed, but I'm not sure what you mean?
Nothing to be embarrassed about! Every camera maker has its own system with which lenses are attached to the camera body, and to complicate things further they periodically change that mount. For example, in the days of film Canon had their FD and FL lenses, but later switched to the EF mount seen today.
Just to pick a nit, Nikon has not changed it's lens mount since 1959, so really any Nikon lens you stumble across will in all likelihood mount right up to any modern Nikon body. The issues will be autofocus and metering won't work on the older lenses but they can be mounted and used manually.

gb

gb
PostWed Jan 25, 2017 8:06 am 
In general old lenses hold their value better than old cameras. So, there may be some worthwhile lenses. I wasn't following this that closely, but depending on whether you have an interchangeable lens system, some might work for you with or without adaptors. The fellow at The Camera Clinic on 5th and 160th NE (I think) - near the Crest Theatre - would be able to help you and may buy some of them - although at a deep discount. I sold a number of very good old Nikon lenses to him a couple of years ago. What you get in selling to a dealer - any dealer would be less than what you might be able to sell them for to an interested photographer. But it is less hassle to just sell them. Once you know what they are - you would have a better feel. I recall that when I sold my Nikons the Camera Clinic fellow used the KEH website for valuation in making an offer for my lenses.

Gil

Gil
PostThu Jan 26, 2017 8:40 am 
Hi there: Older Nikon F mount lenses have generally held some value because they can be mounted on digital bodies. But their worth on the market varies wildly. Some lenses that I think are a waste go for more than $100 while others can be got for a song and are immense bargains. I know that some autofocus Minolta lenses have a following because they mount on some Sony digital bodies. If you want to send me images, I might be able to help sort some out. If you sell Nikon mount lenses, I would advise starting with craigslist because of the cost of selling on ebay. For Minolta lenses, which have a much smaller market, I would advise ebay for broader reach.

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini
Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostSat Mar 04, 2017 12:21 am 
Thanks everyone, maybe I will look through them this weekend and post a few up here to see if you think it's worth the hassle of selling them.

Waterman

Waterman
PostSat Mar 04, 2017 12:50 pm 
I took my old equipment to Ballard. Unable to remember the name. Their location is on market street mid block, north side of street. Received more than I expected.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
Ringangleclaw

Ringangleclaw
PostSat Mar 04, 2017 1:42 pm 
gb wrote:
The fellow at The Camera Clinic on 5th and 160th NE (I think) - near the Crest Theatre - would be able to help you and may buy some of them - although at a deep discount. I sold a number of very good old Nikon lenses to him a couple of years ago. What you get in selling to a dealer - any dealer would be less than what you might be able to sell them for to an interested photographer. But it is less hassle to just sell them.
Yup, I was getting ready to recommend Camera Clinic. He will also tell you if they are scrap iron. A honest old school guy

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostMon Mar 06, 2017 11:07 am 
Waterman wrote:
I took my old equipment to Ballard. Unable to remember the name. Their location is on market street mid block, north side of street. Received more than I expected.
Are you referring to Camera Techs? 2034 NW Market St, Seattle, WA 98107