Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Gonzaga Basketball
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostWed Jan 25, 2017 7:33 pm 
A quality product YEAR, after YEAR, after YEAR!... I have a (not) guilty pleasure of watching all their games on the Spokane channel carried on cable here. tongue.gif Simply a fun team to watch. Hopefully, they can make that next step and break through to a Final Four. cool.gif

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Jan 25, 2017 8:41 pm 
I'm a big Gonzaga fan too. Watch almost all their games on TV. Was able to attend 1st and 2nd round games of the NCAA Tourney at Key Arena and see them live in '99, '04 and '15. Also have gone to about half of the Battle in Seattle games at the Key and saw them play UW at Hec Ed several times before that series was discontinued. Go Zags. up.gif

Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostTue Mar 07, 2017 9:51 pm 
Finished season/conference championship with a record of 32-1! up.gif Anything can happen starting next week, but the big test will probably be in the Elite 8, when they might match up with Oregon or UCLA, or....? It's been fun, so far. cool.gif

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Mar 08, 2017 10:59 am 
Yeah it's been quite a ride this year. Selection Sunday coming up in a handful of days.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Mar 08, 2017 11:42 am 
They are looking pretty good the last couple of games, although I still feel that their competition has been a bit sub par... for the entire season actually. They just don't really play anyone that good and I think that hurts them once March Madness begins. I just hope they at least make the sweet 16...anything else will be a bonus.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Mar 08, 2017 11:59 am 
Uh oh, you pushed a button. Didn't play anybody all year? Arizona (tied for first in the Pac 12) , Florida (second place in the SEC) and Iowa St. (tied for second in the Big 12) don't count? St. Mary's only lost 4 games all season, and 3 of those losses were to Gonzaga, all 3 by double digits. I know the WCC is fairly weak overall, but to say Gonzaga didn't play anybody is inaccurate.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Mar 08, 2017 1:42 pm 
I only saw the end of the BYU game. Can't say I was impressed with how they might handle a close game in the tourney.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Mar 08, 2017 1:53 pm 
Tom wrote:
I only saw the end of the BYU game. Can't say I was impressed with how they might handle a close game in the tourney.
Uh...small sample size? You watched the 1 game out of 33 all season they lost and formed an opinion based on that? North Carolina, Duke, Kansas, Villanova, UCLA and everybody else looked like crap at times this year if you take a tiny snapshot and judge a team by that.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Mar 08, 2017 2:26 pm 
Right, like I said, I only watched the end of that game, and only the last 2 minutes of the game, so an even smaller sample size. Zags were at home. Tie game, with the ball. Fans were going bananas. I was even sending good vibes thru the feed. They wilted under the pressure. They haven't been in those kind of situations much this year due to strength of schedule, unlike those other teams. I think it may well hurt them in the tourney. We will see.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Mar 08, 2017 2:43 pm 
I hear ya. They've had some big leads dwindle in a handful of games this year, held on in all but one of them. Won close games against Arizona, Florida and Iowa St., all MUCH better teams than BYU. For some strange reason BYU has beaten them in Spokane 3 straight times now. I don't know what it is, weird dynamic/match up. Last night against St. Mary's they were up 21 at halftime, lead got all the way down to 5, then they rebuilt the lead and won comfortably by 18. I'm not too worried.

Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostWed Mar 08, 2017 6:21 pm 
"One and Done" freshmen who jump to the NBA from the traditional big schools hasn't hurt Gonzaga. The Zags tend to get players who stay in school more years and develop, which is not a bad thing. (Thank you, Mark Few.)

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Mar 08, 2017 7:53 pm 
Point taken, forgot about the those 3 games... wink.gif ... I wasn't all that impressed with St Mary's, they are a good team and very fundamentally sound, I just don't think they match up athletically with the upper echelon teams, and yes, I include the Zags in the upper echelon. I think they are a top 10 team and if Goss and Karnowski play well, they will be tough to beat. I still say that having a weak schedule overall could hurt their chances going forward. We shall see, as I said, an elite 8 appearance at the least would be awesome.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Mar 09, 2017 6:10 pm 
PNW has 2 in the top 5

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Mar 09, 2017 11:55 pm 
Have a hard time rooting for the Quacks, but it's definitely good seeing some quality teams from the Northwest. Anywhere out West for that matter.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostFri Mar 10, 2017 9:34 am 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
Have a hard time rooting for the Quacks
Why? HuskyFan Duck hate (envy)? This year's Duck BB team is fun to watch.