Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Jun 10, 2015 12:04 pm 
up.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostWed Jun 10, 2015 1:56 pm 
Honestly, it is OK with ground meat for it to not be ultra lean - just cook it, drain it and pat it first. smile.gif

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Frosty

Frosty
PostThu Jun 11, 2015 2:45 pm 
If chicken is best after pressure cooking...anybody try ground beef or ground turkey pressure cooked prior to dehdration?

Frosty, Lucky enough to live where it snows in the winter! smile.gif
mbtigger
Sherpa Da

mbtigger
Sherpa Da
PostSun Jun 21, 2015 2:52 pm 
As everyone has stated getting out the fat is key. I season mine while cooking. I also try to make sure it is broken up as finely as possible so it wil rehydrate better. I find it excellent on the trail.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostTue Jul 21, 2015 1:48 am 
Doesn't the cooking process dehydrate it? Even if the hamburger is fatty, cooking the crap out of it renders out the fat. Rinse it in hot water as soon as it's done, pat it dry with paper towels and it will easily last a week or more un-refrigerated. If it's really well-cooked you aren't going to remove much more moisture by dehydrating. If you want to extend the shelf-life, add salt when cooking. I carry cooked hamburger on many hikes. Nothing like a scrambled egg & hamburger tortilla wrap with Tapatio for breakfast in the mountains. I also carry cooked bacon which will last 'til, well, a really long time un-refrigerated as it's so salty. Or, are you asking about dehydrating raw hamburger then reconstituting it in the field...?

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostTue Jul 21, 2015 8:59 pm 
It doesn't render out fat - you do that if you drain the meat. Fat doesn't disappear - and with time and heat it goes rancid. Bacon is highly preserved which is why something so fatty can last - but it can also go rancid as well.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostTue Jul 21, 2015 9:00 pm 
And as well, you do remove a LOT of moisture drying cooked hamburger. A pound raw cooked and dried should be around 3 to 4 ounces.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostWed Jul 22, 2015 1:00 am 
sarbar wrote:
It doesn't render out fat - you do that if you drain the meat.
Umm, well, picking nits here now but cooking the meat separates the fat from the meat which is the definition of "render" in this case (to extract by melting) and of course it's still there in the pan. Drain, pat with a towel or do as I mentioned above - rinse it. I put it in a sieve and run hot water through it as soon as it's done cooking then pat dry. That gets rid of almost all fat. I salt it well before cooking too so it's still a little salty when done which helps preserve it.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostWed Jul 22, 2015 8:09 am 
If lean and dried properly, it is fine for 3 months. It doesn't need salt - although, if one wants to preserve longer, go for it. But fat doesn't magically disappear.

Spotly

Spotly
PostSun Aug 02, 2015 1:09 pm 
When we dehydrate for chicken dishes (pastas, soups...), we add Thrive freeze dried meats to the meals. The Thrive meats (chicken, beef,...) reconstitute fast and taste pretty good compared to what we can do. Our own dehydrated burger meals are still my preference though. We normally use lean burger but have used less than lean a few times too. We just keep it in the freezer until hike time. The burger takes a bit to rehydrate and is slightly chewy but I like it that way smile.gif

Treehugger5

Treehugger5
PostMon Aug 03, 2015 6:08 am 
I read a tip somewhere to add 1/2 cup fine bread crumbs to each lb of hamburger, worked in prior to cooking with fingers. (Supposedly the bread crumbs help the beef absorb more water to reconstitute better) I did this last night to organic grass fed beef. It is currently in my freezer, waiting to be made into Sabar's Herb Beef w/Mushroom Gravy FBC recipe. I'll report back on how this works when I return at the end of August!

Elrond's Rocket of Rivendell~ hiker and runner extraordinaire
Forest_Bather
HikingMama

Forest_Bather
HikingMama
PostTue Mar 21, 2017 9:12 pm 
I know this is an old post, but I thought I would chime in, since I'm a foodie/gourmand backpacking type, so this is definitely my cup o' tea. I dehydrated lean ground beef last summer for a trip with my family of 6, plus and additional 3 boys. I used it to make shepherds pie with dehydrated potato flakes, among other things. Best darned backcountry meal I've ever had and it passed muster with the other 8 people on the trip, including kids from 5-17 yrs.

Amy
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Mar 22, 2017 4:08 am 
Bedivere wrote:
Doesn't the cooking process dehydrate it?
Dehydration is done at much lower temps and reduces the amount of moisture far far more. Cooking until the same moisture level would alter the meat in other ways.