Forum Index > Gear Talk > Sewing Specialties for great gear repairs
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
cartman

cartman
PostMon Nov 24, 2014 10:57 am 
Thought I'd post this for anyone looking for a great local gear and clothing repair shop. Carol Douglas at Sewing Specialties: sewingspecialties@yahoo.com 2O6 818-0870 Carol does fantastic work for 1/3 of the price of Rainy Pass, usually with a 1-2 week turnaround. I've been taking gear to her for a decade and have always been impressed with the quality of her work. She repairs backpacks, tents, sleeping bags etc as well as all types of clothing, including zipper replacement. Carol is so good Patagonia sends all their local repairs to her to fulfill their customer warranties and guarantees. She used to run Northwest Garment & Gear in Fremont. Now she does repairs in her shop in Auburn; she also has a cubby studio on Leary Way in Fremont where you can drop off/pick up gear from her on Tuesdays and Saturdays.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
cartman

cartman
PostSat Mar 18, 2017 8:26 am 
Thought I'd update this post, since I'm still taking gear to Carol for great repairs. Carol no longer has her loft in Fremont, but still comes to Patagonia in downtown Seattle every week on Tuesdays and Saturdays to drop off and pick up clothing and gear for repairs, and she is still Patagonia's local repair person for all their clothing repairs. Her phone number has not changed, and her rates are still the best I've found in the area. In 15 years of taking items to her for repair, she has fixed a tent, sleeping bag, backpacks, gaiters, raingear, and every type of clothing from coats and gloves to shirts and pants. She can even replace a zipper on anything I've needed, and has access to all sorts of zipper types. Always at a great price and with superb workmanship.

KevinDo

KevinDo
PostFri Mar 31, 2017 12:34 am 
Does she also wash sleeping bags ?? smile.gif

cartman

cartman
PostSat Apr 01, 2017 8:12 am 
No, you can easily do that yourself in a front-loading washer and dryer with the right down wash.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostSat Apr 01, 2017 9:31 am 
cartman wrote:
No, you can easily do that yourself. . . .
and I can easily repair my own gear with my sewing machines and related skill set

KevinDo

KevinDo
PostSat Apr 01, 2017 1:18 pm 
No time frown.gif Finishing up a phd program and would rather use my free time to go outdoors instead of spending a day at the laundry mat biggrin.gif

schifferj

schifferj
PostWed Apr 19, 2017 10:30 am 
I have nothing but good to say about Rainy Pass Repairs (http://rainypass.com/). I don't live in Seattle so dropping off and picking up is not a good option. I've had tents repaired and modified by Rainy Pass. I've had a sleeping bag repaired and a Gortex garmet. All repairs were done quickly and workmanship is superb.

cartman

cartman
PostThu Apr 20, 2017 6:59 am 
schifferj wrote:
Rainy Pass Repairs
And cost is 3x what Sewing Specialties charges.

schifferj

schifferj
PostSun Apr 23, 2017 1:09 pm 
Not all of us on this site live in/arround the great city of Seattle (thankfully) and thus dropping off and picking up is NOT an option. Rainy Pass provides a viable option.

Kascadia

Kascadia
PostThu Apr 21, 2022 1:38 pm 
Not sure if Carol Douglas (Sewing Specialties) is having "personal problems", etc. but I've had something in her shop for 4 months and have not been able to pick it up. She doesn't return calls, is not in her shop (I've made one "surprise visit" as Auburn is not a trivial commute, and yeah, I know she goes to Seattle on TH afternoon), etc. Regardless, it's totally unacceptable as a professional. Be aware. shakehead.gif

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler
domaz

domaz
PostThu Apr 21, 2022 1:42 pm 
cartman wrote:
schifferj wrote:
Rainy Pass Repairs
And cost is 3x what Sewing Specialties charges.
Labor is expensive, it's an unfortunate fact that most garments (outdoor or otherwise) aren't really worth repairing at US Labor prices. Maybe you can find someone cheaper for a while, but it won't last forever.