Forum Index > Trail Talk > YOUR BEST ANIMAL ENCOUNTERS...hey I spelt that!!!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Jun 07, 2017 9:29 pm 
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostThu Jun 08, 2017 12:12 pm 
I am really bad at wildlife encounters. I have actually never seen a bear while hiking. But one time in New Hampshire I came across something really cool -- a snake in the process of trying to eat a frog. While we were watching this unfold, a dog came bounding by, which scared the snake. The snake dropped the frog and slithered away. The frog was wounded and bleeding from the snake's fangs, but still alive, and was able to hop away.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostThu Jun 08, 2017 4:46 pm 
seena few big bears up gut south one of them peaks up east side entiat way a few times

zimmertr
gb

gb
PostFri Jun 09, 2017 9:55 am 
Bootpathguy wrote:
Northern Flying Squirrel Yea, I know it's not that exciting but they are seldom seen. Out of the corner of my eye, and to my right, I saw something fly / glide through the air and hit the trees trunk. Thought it was odd as there were no branches that low and thought maybe a bird with very poor vision. I stood up and noticed something climbing up the tree. A squirrel!? It got towards the top of the maple tree and leapt from it gliding from my right to my left to another maple tree about 150' apart. Hit the tree low on the trunk. Just a couple / few feet from the ground. Scampered up and repeated the same process heading in the same direction. I was amazed it could judge the distance it could glide without hitting the ground. Especially that far. It new how much elevation it needed before leaving the launching pad to reach the other tree trunk. At the time, Sugar Gliders were the fad pet in all the pet stores. I'd assumed somebody's got away from them. I was intrigued and thought I'd search if Washington State had a species of flying squirrel. I was actually surprised to see we did. This is how I found out that a Northern Flying Squirrel even existed. I had no idea
I was skiing up through old growth near the Nisqually Glacier one January day perhaps around 1990 when three Northern Flying Squirrels glided past perhaps 30' from us. I've never seen another.

gb

gb
PostFri Jun 09, 2017 10:01 am 
One of the most beautiful scenes I ever witnessed took place in the North Cascades on a rocky ridge line in late afternoon light the end of September in the mid-90's. I had my camera in my pack on a peak when a Golden Eagle appeared perhaps a half mile away gliding on currents directly along the ridge line and towards me and my climbing partner. It proceeded towards us and then passed just twenty feet below set against a rich bright green valley in late afternoon light. It was so beautifully lit. Imagine the magnificence of looking down on the back of a Golden Eagle. No image except in my mind.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostFri Jun 09, 2017 10:15 am 
Golden Eagle sightings are always a treat. I see at least one each year. (I'm a long-time birder, always looking.) My closest encounter was in the 1990s while climbing the W ridge of Cutthroat, when a pair of Goldens were hunting (pikas?) the ridge all afternoon, swooping near us at times. My current favorite mountain raptor is the Northern Goshawk. I was fortunate to get 5 solid Goshawk IDs last year, all in the Central WA Cascades, at or E of the crest, all in subalpine. A few years ago we got a good look at one from above in montane forest big silver firs. Spectacular accipiter, much bigger than WA's other accipiters (Coops, Sharpies) with thicker wings and tail, so at first glance can look like a buteo, but note accipiter-like flight.

HermitThrush

HermitThrush
PostSat Jun 10, 2017 8:44 am 
Mine is pretty boring compared to all of yours but I saw a black bear on the North Fork Skokomish river trail, big healthy guy, he ran away in one direction and we walked back down the trail a few feet, waited about five minutes, heard brush crashing overhead, and continued on talking very loudly. After reading all of these encounter stories, I believe I will be buying myself a nice big can of bear spray.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat Jun 10, 2017 9:25 am 
I thought was going to be hunting stories.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
gb

gb
PostSat Jun 10, 2017 7:59 pm 
HermitThrush wrote:
After reading all of these encounter stories, I believe I will be buying myself a nice big can of bear spray.
You want to test it into the wind to see what is the worst case as far as range.....

jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostSat Jun 10, 2017 9:32 pm 
In 1975 I was working for the FS in the Gila Wilderness in SW New Mexico. Alone on a long, sort of boring, very hot horse ride through the timber. With several pack mules behind me I entered a large meadow - Lilley Park - and stopped to admire the view. I was finally out of the timber and into nicer views. There were a few deer grazing peacefully 50 yards away. Suddenly, I saw a tan blur come out of the woods near me, race across the meadow and hit one of the deer - by now in full flight through the 3' tall grass. In front of me I saw a large cougar leap onto the back of the closest deer, hunch down and set his/her claws into the back of the deer, and then reach around around pull the head of the deer down to the point where they hit the ground in a blur of dust. Broken neck? By now my livestock were going crazy from the smells and activity...so I headed out, quickly. It wasn't until later after I replayed the scene in my head that I realized how precious that moment was....

gb

gb
PostSun Jun 11, 2017 5:44 am 
DIYSteve wrote:
Wolverine sighting on a ski tour June 10, 2102, with my to-be wife and Randy
The best Nature video of all-time: PBS.org/Nature Wolverine: Chasing the Phantom http://www.pbs.org/video/1642358743/

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostSun Jun 11, 2017 9:03 am 
gb wrote:
DIYSteve wrote:
Wolverine sighting on a ski tour June 10, 2102, with my to-be wife and Randy
The best Nature video of all-time: PBS.org/Nature Wolverine: Chasing the Phantom http://www.pbs.org/video/1642358743/
We watched the first airing a few months after our encounter with the Wolverine below the E ridge of Fortune. So cool. A few days after our Wolverine sighting, we passed through Yellowstone en route to friends' wedding in CO. We attended a nature presentation at Madison CG. The subject was mammals of Yellowstone NP. The NP ranger ended the presentation with a discussion of the Wolverine, which hadn't been seen in the park for decades. During the question/comment session, I raised my hand and advised that we had seen a Wolverine on a ski tour a few days earlier. The ranger responded with a "sure you did" glare.

Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostFri Jun 16, 2017 7:24 pm 
All these stories, except last one, within Glacier NP (MT) Wolverine. Peering down the north wall of the Mt. Siyeh-Cataract Mt. saw a wolverine lumbering along, hundreds of feet below. Mountain Goat - Iceberg Wall. We had cramponed around from Swiftcurrent Pass to Ahern Peak, hoping to do the Ipasha Connection (alpine route) but stymied by early summer snow conditions we saw looking north from Ahern (on another trip we did it, fabulous route). Decided to bail out at Ahern Pass (a major goat trail intersection) through Iceberg Notch and down the Iceberg Wall. Not technical but there is one low class 4 move, maybe 20 vertical feet that is a crux. We were having a hard time seeing it from above. Finally, we noticed a mother goat and 2 kids ascending up towards us. We scooted sideways to give them plenty of elbow room - and they showed us the move. Couldn't help wondering how many generations of goats knew that move, that route. Grizzly Bear - We were coming down off Lone Walker Mt. and starting the sidehill route north to Dawson Pass. Nature called and I stopped, putting both bear spray and tp down on a rock ledge next to me. Crunch, crunch and bro bear is coming up the slope maybe 70 feet away. What to reach for first? Bear solved the question, just giving me a brief glance and just kept on up the slope. Black bear - Two women hikers I met on the train and I hiked into Harrison Lake (way back in the day, maybe 1980) and we hung our 3 frame packs on a horizontal bear pole. Young black bear, maybe 2 years old, comes ambling in and I couldn't back him off clanging pots. Bear climbs the tree by the bear pole and starts doing flying squirrel like leaps at the nearest pack. Third time he manages to snag the bottom cross tube - and starts swinging with the pack like a trapeze act in a circus. One or two swings and the rope saws through the top tube of the pack and it was down. Nearing dark so we went a half mile up the lake to a patrol cabin and I broke in using angle iron to chisel away the wood at the door latch. Cougar. Above Pinedale, WY, foothills of the Wind Rivers. I was driving up the hill in my truck at dusk, doing maybe 30mph. Cat rises out of the brush and ditch on the left side of the road maybe 20 feet out and crosses in front of the truck, quartering away. What I remember was big paws like a Disney cartoon and the cougar glancing back at me, unfazed, his capacity for speed leaving him totally unimpressed with the truck.

Off trail rambler
RichP

RichP
PostTue Feb 15, 2022 10:07 am 
After 100's of outings I've never seen more than paw prints. A couple of days ago I was hiking above the Clearwater Canyon in Idaho and spotted what I assumed to be a dog or a very large coyote sitting in the middle of a draw since I was pretty close to some houses. I stopped to watch it as it slowly moved away and I could see it had a flattish face and was quite large and muscular with a barrel chest. It glided in a cat-like manner stopping to look back at me numerous times before curling up atop a rocky area. After a while, I continued down the ridge and could see a lone deer grazing right below where the cougar had been. I considered at that moment that I had interrupted a hunt. Time and space stood still. I sat and watched the deer a while and could see the cougar still perched above. The deer was aware of my presence almost immediately but continued to walk upslope to where the cougar had been. As it was getting getting dark I decided not to be around in case I seemed easier prey than the deer. I couldn't get a real pic since I only had a cell phone which is no good on zoom or in low light. Besides, probably best not to reveal the exact location.

Sculpin

Sculpin
PostTue Feb 15, 2022 11:02 am 
I was on a drive though (not-so) Grand County, CO, on the way to hike in the Wasatch. I noticed a flock of about 30 sheep all jammed up against a fence gate, like they were waiting to be picked up by the rancher. A few seconds later my teenage nephew in the back seat yells "a bear!" We all look over into the sheep pasture, and the biggest bear I have ever seen was ambling towards the flock of sheep. We pulled over and got out to watch. The bear stopped short, maybe 200 feet from us, and stuck his head down behind a bush. Meanwhile, my other nephew had closed the gap a bit and was standing at the fence line, now maybe 150 feet from the bear. All of a sudden, the bear raises his head, covered ear-to-ear in blood, and stares right at my nephew. My blood ran cold. This bear was considering attacking us. paranoid.gif But then he put his head back down and we eventually drove away. This was a black bear in both shape and coloration, but with huge, fat hindquarters, like nothing I have ever seen in Washington in my 30 or so bear sightings in the PNW. In comparison, Olympic Mountain bears in particular are quite gracile. This encounter taught me that it is not the species that makes a wild bear dangerous, it is the method by which that bear typically gets its food.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir