Forum Index > Trip Reports > Sulphur Mountain - (7-15-17)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
JimK

JimK
PostTue Jul 18, 2017 9:51 pm 
I had not hiked up Sulphur Mountain before the Suiattle River Road washed out. Now I have done it 4 times. This time we had the clearest views. Great views of Glacier Peak, Dome Peak, Spire Point, Green Mountain, Lime Ridge, and more. It s a stiff hike at 10 miles RT with 4700' of elevation gain. The trail has not been logged since the road reopened. All logs can be stepped over except one that requires going up the slope to get around. Lot of saprophytes are up. Candystick, coralroot, and yellow birdsnest were seen in many places. Lots of pink and red heather, lupine, western anemone, and some glacier lilies in bloom. A little snow on top could be melted for water. The trail is now snow free. My full report with 49 photos is at: Sulphur Mountain Report & Photos Here are a few of my photos:
Upside Down Tree
Upside Down Tree
Pinedrops
Pinedrops
Candystick
Candystick
First Glacier Peak View
First Glacier Peak View
Western Anemone
Western Anemone
Heather & Glacier Peak
Heather & Glacier Peak
Dome Peak
Dome Peak
John, Gary, & Spire Pt.
John, Gary, & Spire Pt.
Western Anemones
Western Anemones
Panorama
Panorama

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Jul 18, 2017 11:11 pm 
I haven't done this hike, but your photos make it look very tempting. Add it to the list!

kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostTue Jul 18, 2017 11:16 pm 
This is a great mountain, plus there is an amazing hot spring nearby.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Jul 19, 2017 1:21 pm 
Jim you lucky SOB; what a beautiful trip. A bit wussy, though, since you actually drove to the trail head this time wink.gif ; but still a fairly burley day.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
slood
Daffy Hiker

slood
Daffy Hiker
PostWed Jul 19, 2017 6:40 pm 
It was indeed a beautiful trip, well worth the effort. Here are a few of my photos. (I posted an album with 60 photos on my Flickr page at https://flic.kr/s/aHskZN84p6.)
Jim At Work
Jim At Work
Coralroot
Coralroot
Fallen Candystick
Fallen Candystick
Sunlit Web
Sunlit Web
Tiger Lily
Tiger Lily
Gary & Jim Are Ahead
Gary & Jim Are Ahead
Towhead Baby & Glacier Peak
Towhead Baby & Glacier Peak
Gary & Jim on Sulphur Mtn
Gary & Jim on Sulphur Mtn
Partridgefoot
Partridgefoot
Painted Lady Butterfly
Painted Lady Butterfly
Towhead Baby Trio
Towhead Baby Trio
Gary in a Field of Dreams
Gary in a Field of Dreams
Coiled-beak Lousewort
Coiled-beak Lousewort
Daisy, Daisy
Daisy, Daisy
Actual Summit of Sulphur Mtn
Actual Summit of Sulphur Mtn
Garden of Delight
Garden of Delight
Towhead Baby Too
Towhead Baby Too
Western Anemone
Western Anemone
Glacier Lily
Glacier Lily
Spreading Phlox
Spreading Phlox
Western Springbeauty
Western Springbeauty
Gary Gets His Glacier Lily Photo
Gary Gets His Glacier Lily Photo
Pinedrop
Pinedrop
Roots
Roots

PaleoCook

PaleoCook
PostThu Jul 20, 2017 5:57 pm 
Great photos! Looks like a fun hike as well...I haven't been on here in too long!

SnailsandTrails
RidgeRoute

SnailsandTrails
RidgeRoute
PostSat Feb 18, 2023 5:11 pm 
I've heard there are many hot springs near Glacier Peak, is there a good reference to help locate them? Thanks!

I should be doing homework
kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostSat Feb 18, 2023 5:57 pm 
SnailsandTrails wrote:
I've heard there are many hot springs near Glacier Peak, is there a good reference to help locate them? Thanks!
Not really. While Dakobed is an active volcano, the activity is not close to the surface, so there is not much heat coming out. There are/were 3 known hot springs: 1. Sulfur warm spring, near to the campground near the end of the Suiatattle river road. The road is still closed due to the previous fire. This is the only hot spring I have personally found, it was very muddy and definitely warm, but not at all hot and not really suitable for soaking. N48.25464 W121.18154 2. Kennedy warm spring used to exist at N48.11816 W121.19458 along the popular route to Glacier peak and used to be a popular soaking spot. That route was washed out in 2003, you can still visit the area, but the hot springs are now buried under many-many feet of rocks and mud and no longer come to the surface. 3. Gamma hot springs are legendary and supposed to exist somewhere under the Gamma peak. Gamma peak is a long day hike from the end of the Suiattle River road (when it is open). it is a super long day hike to get to the Gamma Peak and trying additionally to find the hot spring was too tiring for me and Cookie. We have not seen any obvious trail to it, but it is supposed to be somewhere on the slope of the gamma peak on the tributary of the gamma creek and be very hot and have a pool. This might be a legend though cause information is very limited and looks like most web sites just copy the info over and over and not many people have been there. Even if it used to exist it is not a fact that it still exists.

Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostSat Feb 18, 2023 6:28 pm 
I've tried to find Sulphur. I could smell it, but never found it. We went by Kennedy about 8 years ago, and one of our party found some evidence of it coming out. But not much. I've also been to Gamma and never saw any trail near it. It's a long trip from any trailhead. At that time, it wasn't really much of a pool and I'm sure any pool made would get wiped out each season.

kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostSat Feb 18, 2023 6:43 pm 
Riverside Laker wrote:
I've tried to find Sulphur. I could smell it, but never found it.
I went to Sulphur warm spring (and mountain) back in 2010, before the road was repaired and it was almost 44 miles round trip day. Things might have changed since then, but I found the Sulphur warm spring by crossing to the other side of the creek. It was not on the side of the creek the trail is on and required wading through the creek, but other than that, the warm spring was exactly where the google thinks it is, you can see it on my gps track: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/46679170 this is how the pool looked like -
it was definitely quite warm and i even soaked in it, but it is only one person pool. I'm sure it might change places a little bit or maybe there is a better pool that I have not found. It smels nice!

SnailsandTrails
RidgeRoute

SnailsandTrails
RidgeRoute
PostMon Feb 20, 2023 6:28 pm 
Thanks for your responses and especially for coordinates. Finding a good pool would be a wonderful way to relax after a long hike!

I should be doing homework