Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Oct 05, 2017 10:01 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
"Seems rural residents have the perception that their tax dollars are going to fund projects within Seattle..."
^ Widely-held misconception by "east siders". There are bike lanes all over Tacoma too. And The City of University Place, The Town of Fircrest, and The City of Lakewood. And don't think for a minute your property taxes anywhere in King County are any less than they are down here. rant.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Oct 05, 2017 10:33 am 
Ski wrote:
^ Widely-held misconception by "east siders". There are bike lanes all over Tacoma too. And The City of University Place, The Town of Fircrest, and The City of Lakewood. And don't think for a minute your property taxes anywhere in King County are any less than they are down here. rant.gif
Read the link I posted...those are State funds listed. How is a fact, a misconception?

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Oct 05, 2017 10:37 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
This is a rant thread... Your rant was about fuel taxes. Not general fund expenditures. King county and other urban counties in the state are net exporters of general fund tax revenues to rural counties like Klickitat. Your roads would be in worse shape without all the money your county gets from Latte sipping, bike riding Seattle dwellers. Klickatat county's property tax rate is 0.781% vs King county's rate of 1.025% and King county's median house value is double that of Klickitat, whom is subsidizing whom?
OK, good point about the rant thread. Klickitat county roads would be in fine shape...we take in Seattle's garbage and the landfill generates plenty of $$$ for county roads, which are well maintained to the point of even having gravel roads plowed by county funds in the winter. As for 14 and 97, 97 is OK but 14 is nothing to write home about...so we could use some bridge and bike money to keep it in better shape. As for *county* property taxes and their use as an example of subsidy....WTF?

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Oct 05, 2017 10:50 am 
MtnGoat wrote:
As for *county* property taxes and their use as an example of subsidy....WTF?
http://www.seattlepi.com/local/article/King-Co-pays-for-the-rest-of-the-state-is-that-969099.php

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Oct 05, 2017 10:58 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
http://www.seattlepi.com/local/article/King-Co-pays-for-the-rest-of-the-state-is-that-969099.php
That doesn't address the argument I just made with respect to property taxes. They do not subsidize other counties. I'd never argue King Co doesn't subsidize other places in other ways, but I'm not the fellow that used property taxes and subsidy in the same sentence referring to each other.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Oct 05, 2017 11:04 am 
Rant - Those newish Ford SUVs that look like cop cars since the cops bought a bunch too. Annoying!

Chico

Chico
PostThu Oct 05, 2017 1:21 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
Rant - Those newish Ford SUVs that look like cop cars since the cops bought a bunch too. Annoying!
Slow down then!

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Oct 05, 2017 1:36 pm 
Who said I was speeding ?

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Oct 05, 2017 1:55 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
Klickitat county roads would be in fine shape...we take in Seattle's garbage and the landfill generates plenty of $$$ for county roads, which are well maintained to the point of even having gravel roads plowed by county funds in the winter. As for 14 and 97, 97 is OK but 14 is nothing to write home about...so we could use some bridge and bike money to keep it in be
That's what I thought. I keep reading about how the garbage makes money there, and also methane is made? But there are no bike trails near me. No Tesla charging stations either. Lots of things are not here. My rant would be about those snooty Pungent Sounders. If they did spread out to here, we'd probably have to keep our dogs fenced in, quit sighting in rifles this time of year, park our toys inside, get permission after paying a fee to cut down trees on OUR property, etc. etc. Naw, this thread isn't bad. If you really want to see Seattle abuse, read the Okanogan Chronicle. doh.gif

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Oct 05, 2017 2:25 pm 
I get enough urban attitude overflow living in the Gorge, particularly hoity toity Hood River, base camp for Trustifarians in the summer and filled with PDX wannabes to a disturbing degree. You'd think the incredible, heartfelt commitment to 'diversity' and 'tolerance' would manifest itself as *actual* tolerance to people not choosing the 'woke' values, but it doesn't work that way. The tolerance of diversity in HR doesn't even extend to plastic bags at the grocery store, or expanding Walmart to include groceries (the 'mom n pop' myth at work). There, that was a fun rant. (Yes Randy) lol

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostThu Oct 05, 2017 3:23 pm 
Old rant anew.....goddam traffic rant.gif rant.gif rant.gif rant.gif rant.gif rant.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Oct 05, 2017 3:40 pm 
time honored! I used to think the bridges were bad, until I got a few tastes of 205 in PDX...pretty terrible too

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Oct 05, 2017 3:46 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
Naw, this thread isn't bad. If you really want to see Seattle abuse, read the Okanogan Chronicle. doh.gif
Which is ironically hilarious given that much employment in Okanogan county is based on M$FT dollars used to build and maintain ridiculously sized houses that are occupied only occasionally.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Oct 06, 2017 8:06 am 
MtnGoat wrote:
time honored! I used to think the bridges were bad, until I got a few tastes of 205 in PDX...pretty terrible too
After crossing the George Washington Bridge from Fort Lee to Manhattan many times and paying the $15 (each way) toll, I find complaints about Seattle and Portland "traffic" quaint and provincial. I now better appreciate how wonderful and easy life is in the beautiful PNW!

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostFri Oct 06, 2017 9:28 am 
People who have time to bitch about roundabouts because they helped them get home faster than the old traffic light ever would have... People who are upset about the bike rider whose existence caused them to slow down for a second even though the rider would have slowed them down at least that much if they were instead in a car back in the traffic jam the driver just got through....