Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > My Rant
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Token Civilian

Token Civilian
PostFri Oct 06, 2017 11:40 am 
My rant: People seemingly mistaking my proposal specific to bike infrastructure taxes to apply to the general case. Oh - left lane campers....haven't ranted on that one recently. Where's the phaser I can install on my car? I'd like to scatter their atoms randomly. End of rant.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri Oct 06, 2017 12:46 pm 
Hear oh lord my rant: people who go to campgrounds with hookup sites at $28, non-hookup sites at $21, take the cheaper site, then run a generator. huh.gif vent.gif flammable.gif

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri Oct 06, 2017 12:54 pm 
PS: no fair using logic on someone's rant. If rants were logical this thread would be titled "My well thought out thesis" or something. A common adjective used in conjunction with rant is crazy. It is also often paired with raving. Thanks for reading my thesis.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Oct 06, 2017 7:12 pm 
MtnGoat, please elaborate on ranting about leggings. Why are they a problem? After my jaunt to Tacoma today, and then foolishly expecting to be able to do the speed limit on the way back, where I made the mistake of taking I-5, I realize why so many are cranky on here. If we got up to 30mph, that was good and that was from Tacoma to Olympia. (cue old timer voice) I was remembering about traveling on The Freeway in the 60s and disappointed that there was no traffic because I wanted mom or dad to change lanes so the car would go over the bumpy lane markers. We had no such things in Wenatchee! That was on the congested stretch I drove today. Oh well, I can stay away.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Alpendave

Alpendave
PostFri Oct 06, 2017 7:50 pm 
Slugman wrote:
Hear oh lord my rant: people who go to campgrounds with hookup sites at $28, non-hookup sites at $21, take the cheaper site, then run a generator. huh.gif vent.gif flammable.gif
Amen. Though the hook-up/rate thing wouldn't apply, I was pretty irritated with a guy at the Hoh Campground. Had to listen to his generator while he used it so he could watch a rather large big screen TV inside his travel trailer while he ate dinner. With that said, in principle, My rant would be people who exhibit total indifference to how their noise pollution (generators, stereos, and such) encroaches on the right of others to simply enjoy whatever sounds nature decides to produce.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Oct 06, 2017 10:29 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
"...I made the mistake of taking I-5..."
You picked the wrong day to be on I-5 between Tacoma and Olympia. Apparently some disgruntled truck drivers were staging some sort of "protest" and were driving 5 mph on the Interstate freeway between Tacoma and Olympia. I kept hearing it over and over on the radio traffic reports. Maybe if they get what they want they can go back to being gruntled. One of the many reasons I hate I-5. My rant today is people who abandon their clothing in public parks. Last week it was tank top and bandana. This week I find the same bandana again, in a different park. This afternoon I find a fleece jacket with all kinds of stuff in the pockets: toothbrush, toothpaste, earbuds, chapstick, flash drive.... on and on. I get "litter". I can understand why you'd want to toss that empty "Corona" bottle out the window in a state with an open container law. But your clothes? What's up with that? "Oh yeah... I'll just take my jacket off and toss it into the bushes here in the park." WTH? huh.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Oct 07, 2017 6:23 am 
Ski wrote:
You picked the wrong day to be on I-5 between Tacoma and Olympia. Apparently some disgruntled truck drivers were staging some sort of "protest" and were driving 5 mph on the Interstate freeway between Tacoma and Olympia. I kept hearing it over and over on the radio traffic reports. Maybe if they get what they want they can go back to being gruntled. One of the many reasons I hate I-5.
Then the State Patrollers shoulda been out giving those ungruntled truckers tickets. It was awful and I had a hard time keeping on alert so as not to rear end the car in front. The trucks alongside did not seem to be taking part in the protest. Wonder if that's why I saw a couple of pickups flying big flags on the interstate creeping the other way? Wonder what the "protest" was about?

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Oct 07, 2017 6:28 am 
OK, here is the WHY? http://komonews.com/news/local/so-why-were-all-those-truckers-lined-up-in-pierce-county

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostSun Oct 08, 2017 8:16 pm 
joker wrote:
People who have time to bitch about roundabouts because they helped them get home faster than the old traffic light ever would have... People who are upset about the bike rider whose existence caused them to slow down for a second even though the rider would have slowed them down at least that much if they were instead in a car back in the traffic jam the driver just got through....
yeah, the couple hundred bikes a day on nice days really takes a noticeable bite out of traffic during volumes of tens or hundreds of thosands per hour rolleyes.gif wobbly, unpredictable, lane swerving light running it's always the car's fault menaces. Should be on the sidewalks or something. biggrin.gif I love bikes

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Oct 08, 2017 10:24 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
yeah, the couple hundred bikes a day on nice days really takes a noticeable bite out of traffic during volumes of tens or hundreds of thosands per hour rolleyes.gif
There is no traffic in Lyle , bicycle or otherwise. The NYC subway system carries 5.7 million riders per day. About a half million vehicles enter/leave Manhattan on a daily basis. That's real traffic. Riding a bike in Manhattan is significantly faster than driving. Plus finding a place to chain up a bike is infinitely easier and cheaper than finding a parking spot.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Oct 10, 2017 9:57 am 
There is traffic in Seattle, which is no Manhattan and hopefully never will be, and there is traffic in PDX, where I spent yesterday and this morning. This morning, on the several miles of 205 bridge across the mighty Columbia, I was watching and counting riders in the separate bike channel between N and S bound lanes. The very vocal advocacy for this epic waste of money always has my interest, so I was very interested in the observing the actual impact of this reduction in traffic vs the cost of including that but not another lane for the cars paying the freight. Total head count of cyclists on a perfect morning for saving the planet and riding to work 2 I leave more space than that in front of me in my lane. Neither my home in Lyle, nor non sequiturs mentioning Lyle, changes this or the waste of money... outside of infestations like Manhattan

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Oct 10, 2017 10:11 am 
Read the article. the truckers have a legitimate gripe. rolling slowdown a lousy way to protest it though

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostTue Oct 10, 2017 10:25 am 
MtnGoat wrote:
Read the article. the truckers have a legitimate gripe.
Did, and not sure I agree with you. What is legitimate about protesting an effective means of enforcing rules that make sense and save lives? I would like to hear a coherent explanation of how and why being forced to follow the rules invades privacy and reduces independence. If the trucking companies can't get away with conning their drivers into breaking the rules maybe they'll have to hire a couple more drivers? At least 'til automation makes human direction of vehicles obsolete, then none of these guys will have anything to protest.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Oct 10, 2017 11:15 am 
What's illegitimate about protesting something you oppose? A *goal* of saving lives is not the same thing as saving them, for one thing. If goals were outcomes, the world would already be perfect. The rules make sense to some, not others.
Quote:
Because those choices were often not in favor of safety, regulations have crept in over the years to take autonomy away from companies and their drivers. The most notable example has been the Department of Transportation’s forced-rest mandate, which tries — and often fails — to automate human behavior. “The rule prevents drivers from moving their trucks 14 hours after they first start their day,” says Spencer, a dispatcher for a trucking company. “Once you start that clock, you can’t stop it without a 10-hour break.” The 14/10 rule is cyclical, not daily, with a 34-hour “reset” coming after a workweek intended to span two nights. If the driver just wants a one-hour nap and nine more hours of driving, he’s out of luck. If he spent most of his 14-hour shift loading or handling logistical issues, with only a few hours on the road, he still needs to break. If his 70-hour workweek expires before he can complete a delivery, he’ll be spending 34 hours stranded, unable to reverse course until he can make the delivery. If 14/10 begins to slowly slide out of rhythm a normal sleep/wake schedule, some drivers will eventually drive tired and sleep wired. Electronicloggingdevice_truckingfeatureinset Electronic logs, like this ISAAC model, will be mandatory in all commercial trucks by 2017; Wikipedia According to Department of Transportation spokesman Duane DeBruyne, “The federal hours-of-service regulations exist to prevent fatigued driving by long-haul commercial drivers…there are no minimums for on-duty hours or driving hours.” While a driver isn’t mandated to keep driving for any set time, there’s a limit to their break — and restless or delayed sleep still counts. “Once that 10-hour break is up,” Spencer says, “the drivers are expected to resume their trips no matter how much sleep they may or may not have gotten.” When James, a driver based in the mid-Atlantic states, gets tired in the middle of a shift, he doesn’t slug coffee. He tells his dispatcher he’s pulling over, even though he’s rejecting the expectation he’s had his chance to rest. “That's one way you can end up fatigued at the wheel even though you're legal to drive,” he says. “When I get into that situation, I explain to dispatch and inform them that I'll pick up the load but will park as soon as I feel sleepy and that delivery will not be on time.” Dispatch, however, doesn’t want to hear it. The 14/10 schedule was supposed to solve these problems and make James an alert and cooperative motorist. '“I've had dispatchers respond by saying, ‘Well, don't ever expect to receive a raise while working here because we run hard and I expect you to be a team player.’” (It should be pointed out that not all trucking companies are fueled by commerce over common sense; Spencer says his employer makes driver safety a priority.)
Desk drivers with zero accountability have no idea the problems 'safety' rules create in the real word. Safety is a concern, of course. But intentions are not outcomes.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Oct 10, 2017 12:09 pm 
Truck drivers loath the electronic / GPS tracking. Basically this is big brother riding along. "Company" truckers have had this sort of precision tracking of their driving for years. They get dinged for speeding, overreving and underreving the engine, etc, etc. Now these rules are being extended to independent truckers -- men and women that run their small business in large part because they want to be "their own boss".