Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > My Rant
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Oct 10, 2017 12:16 pm 
I think a better focus would be less on the micromanagement and interruption of the evolution of ways to drive more safely within more general rules. The article I posted is only the tip of the iceberg on how the rules actually remove the flexibility to be able to drive more safely.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Oct 10, 2017 1:59 pm 
So sorry for your loss.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostTue Oct 10, 2017 2:06 pm 
How on earth can driving the speed limit and policies preventing drivers from driving when overtired (which is as dangerous as drunk driving - for any driver) be considered micromanagement????!!!! Stop the silly rhetoric and write something coherent for once (you know who you are). Generally speaking, new rules and better ways of enforcing existing rules come about when too many think the rules don't apply to them and don't practice them. This includes rules for truck drivers. I don't want these independent truck drivers on the road if they don't want to drive safely.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Oct 10, 2017 2:19 pm 
Easy...when you're not the driver, and don't know what's specifics are going on, from storms to illness, from loading dock delays to anything else, and invent and impose arbitrary time constraints and measures and rules as detailed in that and other articles, that's micromanagement. Disagreement with your positions or arguments isn't incoherence, it's disagreement. And rules don't come about on their own from a vacuum, they come about because someone decides to impose them based upon their own value judgments. Yes, drivers are responsible for their actions and choices, sure...but the 'look what you made me do' evasion of responsibility for *choosing* to back rules doesn't mean those supporting them don't own responsibility for choosing to do so. You don't know they don't want to drive safely, unless you're a mind reader. You appear to think that disagreement with you must mean they don't want to.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostTue Oct 10, 2017 5:35 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
What's illegitimate about protesting something you oppose?
I should have worded that differently. I have no problem with protesting things you oppose. What I didn't understand was why they were protesting in the first place. Thanks for the explanation. Still not sure I disagree with this rule. No system of rules/regulations will ever be perfect. That doesn't mean you just give up on regulations altogether. Most of the critiques of the rules in the article you quoted could easily be addressed by prudent scheduling. It reads like industry propaganda to me. Just one example - why would you send a driver who's reaching the end of his work week out on a run that has a significant chance to take him over his limit? Sure, things happen, but these companies usually know how things go at the destinations they deliver to so if a delivery is critical send a driver who has plenty of time left in his schedule. And, a "one hour nap followed by nine more hours of driving" sounds like a recipe for falling asleep at the wheel to me. That said, it would be interesting to hear what the drivers protesting these rules would like to see instead.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Oct 10, 2017 5:38 pm 
Thanks for the cogent comments. I think the problem is that the real world can only be scheduled so much, and such arbitrary limits and conditions can cause the problems they are purported to solve!

Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostThu Oct 12, 2017 2:03 pm 
AlpineRose wrote:
How on earth can driving the speed limit and policies preventing drivers from driving when overtired (which is as dangerous as drunk driving - for any driver) be considered micromanagement????!!!! Stop the silly rhetoric and write something coherent for once (you know who you are). Generally speaking, new rules and better ways of enforcing existing rules come about when too many think the rules don't apply to them and don't practice them. This includes rules for truck drivers. I don't want these independent truck drivers on the road if they don't want to drive safely.
It doesn't work in the real world. The common scenario is that a driver pulls into a shipper late at night and goes to sleep. Say they open at 7 and he pulled in at midnight. He sets his alarm, goes in, after 7 hours to get in line. Technically, he just worked, so his ten hours should start over, although he could probably get away with not logging that, even with an electronic system. Then, he goes back to his truck and goes back to sleep. At 9, they knock on his truck, so he backs in, again, either restarting his 10, or not logging it. Then, he rests some more while they load him for a couple hours. He's ready to go, at 11, and has to pull his truck out of the dock. With paper logs, this wouldn't be a big deal. He was resting for 11 hours, minus a few minutes to go in and let them know he was there, and a few minutes to back in. With electronic logs, he can't back in or pull out without restarting his clock. Do you really think it would be safer for the driver to take 10 MORE hours off and then drive 11 hours? Do you think he's going to sleep much in that second 10 hour period? Seriously, that is what happens. All sorts of things can make trucks start and stop at weird times, and those times do not work with the human sleep cycles, but our society likes to blame the guy at the bottom, so the truck driver gets blamed. Still, you cannot regulate someone's sleep cycle. Everyone is different. Dispatch would tell that guy, hey you've been off for 20 hours, what to you mean you are tired? He might even lose his job if he did that often. IMO, drivers should be able to drive 11 hours in a rolling 24hour period with at least 10 hours off duty with stretch of at least 6 hours uninterrupted. Beyond that, I think the owners of the truck should face huge fines when their drivers violate rules. Companies do not get penalized much unless their is a huge disregard. It is worth it for the company to pressure a driver to figure out a way to get it done because if there is an issue, they can blame the driver. And the driver has a good reason to do what dispatch asks.. a favor for a favor. Team players and all.

Waterman

Waterman
PostThu Oct 12, 2017 2:30 pm 
The costco shuffle, bent over forearms resting on cart walking 2 or 3 abreast. Shuffling along. More than ready to abandon their cart in the middle of the aisle to graze at the many sample stations.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Oct 12, 2017 4:34 pm 
Pahoehoe wrote:
It doesn't work in the real world. The common scenario is that a driver pulls into a shipper late at night and goes to sleep. Say they open at 7 and he pulled in at midnight. He sets his alarm, goes in, after 7 hours to get in line. Technically, he just worked, so his ten hours should start over, although he could probably get away with not logging that, even with an electronic system. Then, he goes back to his truck and goes back to sleep. At 9, they knock on his truck, so he backs in, again, either restarting his 10, or not logging it. Then, he rests some more while they load him for a couple hours. He's ready to go, at 11, and has to pull his truck out of the dock. With paper logs, this wouldn't be a big deal. He was resting for 11 hours, minus a few minutes to go in and let them know he was there, and a few minutes to back in. With electronic logs, he can't back in or pull out without restarting his clock. Do you really think it would be safer for the driver to take 10 MORE hours off and then drive 11 hours? Do you think he's going to sleep much in that second 10 hour period? Seriously, that is what happens. All sorts of things can make trucks start and stop at weird times, and those times do not work with the human sleep cycles, but our society likes to blame the guy at the bottom, so the truck driver gets blamed. Still, you cannot regulate someone's sleep cycle. Everyone is different. Dispatch would tell that guy, hey you've been off for 20 hours, what to you mean you are tired? He might even lose his job if he did that often. IMO, drivers should be able to drive 11 hours in a rolling 24hour period with at least 10 hours off duty with stretch of at least 6 hours uninterrupted. Beyond that, I think the owners of the truck should face huge fines when their drivers violate rules. Companies do not get penalized much unless their is a huge disregard. It is worth it for the company to pressure a driver to figure out a way to get it done because if there is an issue, they can blame the driver. And the driver has a good reason to do what dispatch asks.. a favor for a favor. Team players and all.
Meanwhile, some seat moistener unable to account for the combination of the realities of the variables, drivers, schedules and all the combinations of the above provides a committee of the same kinds of people with a top down, One Best Federal Way with the *intention* of saving lives, so it must work. I understand some of the earlier legislation and requirements, sure. This level of micromanagement is ludicrous.

reststep

reststep
PostThu Oct 12, 2017 4:41 pm 
That is just part of the Costco experience. smile.gif

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostThu Oct 12, 2017 8:15 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
Meanwhile, some seat moistener unable to account for the combination of the realities of the variables, drivers, schedules and all the combinations of the above provides a committee of the same kinds of people with a top down, One Best Federal Way with the *intention* of saving lives, so it must work. I understand some of the earlier legislation and requirements, sure. This level of micromanagement is ludicrous.
Yeah, and there are too many people with too many different priorities and too many variables to solve the scheduling issue in any economically feasible way.

Alpendave

Alpendave
PostWed Aug 22, 2018 8:39 am 
Stopped by the Salmon Haven view area at the confluence of Chico Creek and Dickerson Creek in Bremerton. They’ve done a fantastic job of stream restoration and the picnic area is a very nice touch. However, when I got here, there was a full dog poop bag on the picnic table and some trash laying about. Whoever you are who did this, you act as worthless as the trash you’ve left behind. Parks are created to make life for everybody better and the world a better place. If you prefer squalor, then stay home and live in it there. There are some people who need these area to escape from that stuff from time to time and you are ruining it. If this (trash and dog poop laying around) is your contribution to the world, then the world doesn’t need you in it. Stay away.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Nov 19, 2022 11:42 am 
I want to know who started this crap of NOT putting addresses and city locations on websites owned by businesses and manufacturers. Why does finding the location of a business require 40 minutes and multiple Google searches? Who are these people hiding from? You're a business, goddamit, I want to know where the hell you are.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."