Forum Index > Food & Grub > A no-cook meal of 1000 calories under 5 oz.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostSun Sep 09, 2018 12:10 pm 
Macadamia nuts and olive oil are some of the most calorie dense foods per weight you can carry. They are also both very healthy. Just throw a handful of macadamia nuts in a sandwich baggie, pour it full of olive oil and add some spices like garlic powder and rosemary. Then place it in the freezer the night before your trip. By the end of your first day of hiking it will be thawed and ready eat it with a spoon. It tastes good and will give you a half days’ worth of calories. This may sound gross but In my opinion is a viable backcountry option. I have tried it as dinner and didn't wake up hungry the next day.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostSun Sep 09, 2018 8:18 pm 
That actually sounds pretty good. It seems any favorite nut would also work well. I could imagine trying almonds and cashews. Various spices. Fresh rosemary. Far more healthy than the Oreos dipped in coconut oil that I think I remember Anish writing about. Or maybe I heard it at one of her talks. But I'm curious why put the concoction in a freezer?

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostMon Sep 10, 2018 6:17 am 
AlpineRose wrote:
But I'm curious why put the concoction in a freezer?
This step is totally unnecessary. I just did it because it was forecast to be a hot day and I thought it might help keep the oil from going rancid. But folks in the middle east have been using unrefrigerated olive oil in hot climates for thousands of years. Funny that you mentioned almonds, that's where I got the whole idea. Blue Diamond is now selling designer snacks and one of them is garlic, herb and olive oil almonds. Since they only lightly coat them with olive oil but come in a zip-loc type resealable bag you could just pour more oil in the bag and zip it shut. Good idea.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostMon Sep 10, 2018 7:00 am 
My daughter Hannah aka spatula has her food analyzed for maximum nutrition and calories she dehydrates her carefully constructed meals which she used on the PCT in 2017 and spent many days averaging over 30 miles a day she actually gained weight doing the PCT while her partners lost 20 - 30 lb. during the endeavor. Better living through chemistry.👣👣

Living in the Anthropocene