Forum Index > Trail Talk > Missing Hiker on Vesper Peak
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostTue Sep 18, 2018 7:19 pm 
It's incredible that Kevin Dares hired this guy. Decide for yourself after listening to him on the video. There's a good 5 minutes on why any pro search obviously has a basecamp at the point the person was last seen. And about 30 minutes in he suggests that when they find Sam it will be so much "shame on them" (the Forest Service apparently) that they should commit suicide. About 32 minutes in he says that if anybody goes up there to stop them the "laws of combat" will be in effect. An obvious threat. Scary guy. Love and light? Good lord.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
philfort

philfort
PostTue Sep 18, 2018 7:22 pm 
Smartnana wrote:
https://www.facebook.com/bud.carr.3/videos/2118208528212479/
Around 31:00 are the threats against any law enforcement (specifically Peter Forbes) coming up to kick them off. Just before that he talks about going "clandestine" to avoid having to deal with authorities.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
NativeWoman

NativeWoman
PostTue Sep 18, 2018 7:23 pm 
Thank you to others for posting the videos for me- the things I refer to in my post begin around 20 minutes or so in- and although not enough to constitute a criminal threat, it's concerning that the threat is spoken/implied/etc. Our local law enforcement, first responders, forestry services and SAR work many hours committed to finding Ms Sayers and to make threats or imply violent action against them because he didn't get his way fast enough (which is really what it was about- they weren't denied the ability to search, just told they couldn't just helicopter in without discussion) it's enough that reasonable people should take notice and be concerned

rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostTue Sep 18, 2018 7:26 pm 
Some people on the Find Sam Facebook pages are starting to ask questions about the multiple GoFundMes. Their posts are getting deleted. This whole farce is incredible.

iron

iron
PostTue Sep 18, 2018 7:36 pm 
so after the 'mission' is over (3 weeks from now) and there's a massive cleanup effort, can the FS or LEO fine these guys for the mess they've left and the damage they've done? freeze their gofundme assets and go after them? it's not like they're vandals in the night. all these guys are well-known by now.

partlycloudy
Person

partlycloudy
Person
PostTue Sep 18, 2018 7:37 pm 
I’ve lurked on NWHikers for years, and dangit if I’m not a little bit ashamed that this is what’s caused me to open an account and finally post something here. I’ll just go ahead and apologize about that now. I’ve been following the findsamsayers FB page alongside the NWHikers post since about the time she disappeared, and have watched the FB page spiral into bizarro-world. I’m grateful to this community for bringing sanity to this situation. A couple of days ago in the FB group, I suggested there may be a better way to actually search for her if that’s what their real intention is - as someone mentioned in this thread, going fast and light, covering as much ground as possible. Not posting up in a semi-permanent basecamp that is very near the trail that has already been searched extensively for 6 weeks. Anyway, I was immediately attacked and accused of not caring, they asked “why are you here anyway?” It is so far from the response I would expect from the local outdoors community that I know, I didn’t need to do any clicking to know that none of those people are from these parts. They clearly don’t understand the terrain and the unfortunate outcomes of many of these cases. And you know, I’m female, about Sam’s age (ok a decade older but whatever), and I hike… it could’ve been me that they’re trying to “pray home,” but instead since they don’t like what I said, they’re attacking me as if I’m not even a person. Where does their passion for this unknown person come from? They’re whipped up into an emotional frenzy that they don’t care to think their way out of. It’s bizarre. And I agree with the posters who said it before, it reminds me of the blind patriotism / Trumpism we’re seeing these days. I hoped for the best with this “command post” - hoping maybe there is a spot up there that I just haven’t seen, where they can pitch their tents and not create a disturbance to the sensitive vegetation. (Mayyyybe they’d prove me wrong) Welp, those hopes were instantaneously dashed when I saw the pics from Kevin’s page today. I mean for starters, did they not learn in scanning those drone videos, why people wear brightly colored clothing when venturing into the backcountry? It's not because it looks cool. And of course, if they are actually TRYING not to disturb the local vegetation, then they clearly have noooooo idea what they are doing. And if they’re that ignorant, then god knows what else they’re doing up there. And to what end? They don’t have the capabilities to search the areas that need to be searched. And judging from the feet sticking out of the bottom of that camo tent, I don't get the feeling there's a heavy search going on at the moment anyway. Well, I’ve written to the relevant authorities. I got an out-of-office for Peter Forbes, who won’t be back until Weds. The message says that Diane Holz dholz@fs.fed.us or Samantha Chang schang@fs.fed.us will be acting District Ranger in his absence, so I forwarded to them too. Thanks again, sensible local hiking community.

Doppelganger

Doppelganger
PostTue Sep 18, 2018 7:38 pm 

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
pula58

pula58
PostTue Sep 18, 2018 7:39 pm 
Watch this, then, fwd to forest service, this guy Carr is genuinely dangerous. WTF https://www.facebook.com/bud.carr.3/videos/2118208528212479/?t=1741

Smartnana
Observer

Smartnana
Observer
PostTue Sep 18, 2018 7:39 pm 
Quite a few donations have been made in the last 12 hours, over $1,000 ... unbelievable!

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostTue Sep 18, 2018 7:48 pm 
Carr is saying in that FB video post that the "SAR book should be re-written" and "the gov't shouldn't be involved in these things." And he proceeds after that with an anti-government rant. Totally mis-representing what the situation is, whipping people up because the gov't is allegedly stopping them from searching. He's beginning to sound like those anti-fed grazing scofflaws who took over the Malheur wildlife refuge.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostTue Sep 18, 2018 7:52 pm 
That would be dishonest. A recovery is different from a rescue.

Drinkupjimmy
Wanderer like you

Drinkupjimmy
Wanderer like you
PostTue Sep 18, 2018 8:01 pm 
In most of Bud’s videos it takes him about 20 minutes to actually start talking about a missing hiker or searching for one. It’s all, “Hey. Look at my company’s decals” and “We’re going to kill anyone who gets in our way” and “We need to harass and threaten people until we get what we want.” I would hate myself for allowing my loved one’s legacy to become that. They aren’t looking for Sam. They going into the woods and playing out some Vietnam-era military fantasies. And now our community has to deal with it. It’s so easy for some middle-aged housewife in Suburban Michigan to get behind something when she doesn’t have to deal with the consequences or repercussions. And they act like us locals have some nerve giving them the truth. Winter cannot come soon enough.

swimz
dudeyeah

swimz
dudeyeah
PostTue Sep 18, 2018 8:07 pm 
Special thanks to Doug and other Search and Rescue people. Thank you to you amazing hikers out there who are willing to help others to begin to get a glimpse/understanding of these more advanced hikes, what people are up against, and how our environment is delicate and needs to be cared for. Thank you for being honest about the reality of the situation, as to this whole thing being a recovery and no longer a rescue. Honesty is important here. And finally, to MistyMountainHop who wrote: On my hike of Vesper on the 6th of Sep, I definitely smelled the unmistakable smell of something dead/rotting. Do you mean that you think it could have been a person's body?, please notify authorities of that smell -- Sam may just be right there. May need some of those dogs to find her - but it may bring resolve to the family, and for you folks and the environment it could make all these tents go away, if that was her that you were smelling MistyMountainHop. Take care and thanks for being patient while this crazy tumult is going on - on your NWhikers.net forum. BTW -- You guys are REALLY needed right here on this forum to help bring understanding and balanced perspectives to this situation. Thank you.

XrayGal

XrayGal
PostTue Sep 18, 2018 8:14 pm 
A command center at 50+ days into this thing just makes me shake my head. I can understand and swallow it happening within the first few days, shoot even the first few weeks. But these guys sat around for a week and drew up a plan before even checking they needed permits? Ummm what? It reminds me of a couple of 10 year old boys playing army.

Grub hub
Grub hub

Grub hub
Grub hub
PostTue Sep 18, 2018 8:36 pm 
Swimz (swimmer by chance?) Thank you and you haven't said too much. Valuable input!

Keep it real...