Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Cabin @ Lyman Lake
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ale_capone

ale_capone
PostSun Sep 30, 2018 7:34 am 
Thanks for sharing your memories! That sounds like a great time. The old photos are great. Julia. Is that a mine in the right of your photo, or just a moraine that looks oddly like a road to a whole in the mountain? I spent 5 days near Lyman a few years ago. Not another soul, or sign of. It was the first week of April though. I did not see a cabin. Here is a modern look at recreating in holden.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
the1mitch

the1mitch
PostMon Oct 01, 2018 8:21 am 
I was in there a year ago and we did find the rectangle of decomposed logs. We saw some old metal like nails and debris also. If memory serves me it was located on a slight rise with a view toward the upper lake and glacier. As a reference, it had decayed to a degree much worse than the Bedal cabin at Goat Flats.

illegitimi non carborundum!
Dick B

Dick B
PostMon Oct 01, 2018 12:52 pm 
Thanks to all that have replied sharing your interest to this thread. I just received an email from a gentleman at Chelan PUD per my request for information. He managed the Lake Chelan snow survey from 2006 to 2016. He said the cabin was still there at that time. He gave me the name and email of another person that will have more current information. He also said they have the log books from the cabin which he said "are very interesting reading". I will continue to follow up & keep y'all posted as to what unfolds.

Dick B

Dick B
PostFri Oct 05, 2018 11:07 am 
I received an old Lyman cabin log book from the Chelan PUD that ran from 9/21/'66 to 8/31/'72. I have been going thru it and I thought I would pass on some hilites I have come up with such far. Most of the traffic came from Holden. The Holden mine closed down in '57 and is now a church retreat center. Large groups would come in and use the cabin as a stop over on their way to Image Lake. The cabin was locked in the fall by PUD. It stored snow survey equipment and apparently was used by crews to measure snow depth and water content. All the visitors found the cabin well maintained and comfortable especially during inclement weather. Mice were a problem. There was no indication of vandalism but several notations of a lot of trash. One indicated a pack string needed to pack out trash. Notice the picture of the close up of the cabin. The pole leaning against the cabin is called a shovel mast. The person locking up the cabin in the fall attached a shovel(s) to the pole so it was available to dig out the cabin in the spring. One notation said when they arrived the cabin in 3/69 only the shovel(s) were sticking out of the snow. The cabin was completely buried. I will continue to peruse the log. If any thing interesting comes up I will share.

Julia

Julia
PostFri Oct 05, 2018 10:07 pm 
Hoping this works! I haven't figured out how to share the whole log book, but took a few "snips" to share for now. If I figure out how to share the entire log, I'll add it. Is there an easy way to upload a pdf file? It's fascinating to read, and I'll bet many of us can find names of people we've known. Thanks so much Dick for working on this & getting the information & photos--so much history here! While snipping the pages to share, I actually even found an entry from 1972 from a doctor I've worked with. smile.gif

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. ~Groucho Marx
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Oct 05, 2018 11:13 pm 
Julia wrote:
Is there an easy way to upload a pdf file?
Simplest would be to upload the pdf to google drive and just create a shareable link. Other alternatives.

Julia

Julia
PostSat Oct 06, 2018 8:30 am 
Thanks Tom! First try--shareable link from Google Drive. If this doesn't work, I'll go to plan B. smile.gif Lyman Log

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. ~Groucho Marx
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Oct 06, 2018 10:11 am 
Google drive worked for download but was too large to view online so I put it up on Scribd. Lyman Lake Cabin Logbook on Scribd
Edit: I'm noticing some quality loss viewing the Scribd version online so would recommend downloading the original and viewing offline.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Oct 08, 2018 9:20 am 
Lyman glacier in 1980s The Mountaineers used to do ice practice on glacier in the 80’s when it went into upper Lyman lake it was heavily crevased and actually had a piedmont tongue. I remember doing the Trinity loop on July 4th and you had to avoid it.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Dick B

Dick B
PostMon Oct 08, 2018 9:37 am 
MC: Did your route over Lyman glacier take you down Phelps Creek to Trinity? I don't have a USFS map so I never had checked that route. My only trip out of Lyman was over Cloudy and Sueattle passes, down miners ridge, down and up over middle ridge, down and up over Buck Creek pass and then down to Trinity. Or I think that's what we did. After all it's been over 50 years. Fill me in on what is piedmont younger. Never was a climber so I'm not familiar with the terms.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Oct 08, 2018 10:33 am 
We did the standard route from Routes and Rocks up Phelps Creek to Spider meadows, cross country to spider glacier, up spider glacier to spider gap, down skiers right on edge of Lyman glacier with ivy on ridge, on to Lyman lake. We then went over Cloudy and Suiattle Passes to the old cabin on Miners Ridge where we spent night 2 then down a now abandoned trail to cross Miners Creek to cross Middle Ridge then up to Buck Creek Pass where we spent night 3. Finally we went out Buck Creek to Trinity. The entire route was over deep snow except for a brief section of the Miners Creek Trail between the south side of Middle Ridge below Buck Creek Pass. We could not see the trail except there and navigated with compass and altimeter. I meant (corrected post above) piedmont tongue which is where a glacier spreads out when it reaches a flat. They are common in Alaska.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
geyer

geyer
PostMon Oct 08, 2018 6:45 pm 
I was scrolling through the pages when I suddenly landed on a near-empty page 227...
Quote:
Trying to light this fire is like trying to f### a wild badger.
rotf.gif And just below that:
Quote:
Sept 1? Here's some peyote if you'd like to try ~ it made us sick. One person could get very stoned from this. God bless you.
embarassedlaugh.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Oct 25, 2018 6:24 pm 
UW Digital Collections has this image. Not sure if same cabin?
Cabin at upper Lyman Lake with Lyman Glacier in the background, August 1921 [[url=https://digitalcollections.lib.washington.edu/digital/collection/mtn/id/386]Link[/url]]
Cabin at upper Lyman Lake with Lyman Glacier in the background, August 1921 [Link]

Shred

Shred
PostThu Oct 25, 2018 8:38 pm 
upload_-1
upload_-1
I'm pretty sure that I came across the cabin in your photo, Tom👍 I could make out the header beam, door opening, and the general layout of the exterior walls. Notice the metal mining paraphernalia lower lefthand corner.

Dick B

Dick B
PostFri Oct 26, 2018 11:36 am 
Tom: I believe the 1921 photo may depict another cabin. Rich P on 9/22 shared an incident about a body being found in a cabin at the south end of the lake. On 10/1, The1mitch said he found the remains of a cabin on a rise that had a view of the Lyman glacier. This would also seem to be consistent that there was another cabin in another location. Shred: The cabin I visited was near the north end of the lake. It was a short distance down the trail to Holden and was located between the trail and RR Creek. One notation in the log said the cabin was about 150 feet from the creek. There should have been a trail leading to the site. I just received an email from the Chelan RD. He attached pictures of several slides that were taken of the cabin in the mid 70s. It was hard to see details from the slides but what I could tell the cabin was in advanced stages of decline. My contact said he would try to digitize the slides and send them to me. My feeling is that what Shred found was all that is left of the cabin. I will post any pictures I get from the FS if Julia will indulge me.