Forum Index > Food & Grub > Hood River Eats
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostMon Aug 03, 2015 6:12 pm 
Got a Mt. Adams trip planned via I-84 or a trip to Bend? With frequent visits to Portland/Salem, we sometimes make a stop in Hood River. Having enjoyed Ixtapa in Monroe and The Dalles, we found another rendition owned by a cousin or brother of the family restaurants. The Hood River Ixtapa sits in a strip mall next to Wal-Mart a half-mile off the west end freeway exit. Don't be dismayed huh.gif if you miss out on the vibe of the downtown section of Hood River. Quality Mexican food (Chile Relleno..Umm tongue.gif ) and an outdoor patio where you can supervise a good dog at a table next to the sidewalk. up.gif There is also a busy BBQ joint and a pizza by slice restaurant in the strip mall. I still need to try China Gorge and Double Mountain Brewery . (I think a NWHiker mentioned this place in an earlier report this year.)

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Aug 04, 2015 2:17 am 
Get Out and Go wrote:
and a pizza by slice restaurant in the strip mall.
That place has damn fine sammiches/grinders. For more upscale Three Rivers Grill is really good. Hood River has lots of good eats for a smaller town. The Thai place up by The Heights isn't very good unfortunately.

kansashane

kansashane
PostMon Aug 10, 2015 9:47 pm 
I'm a little confused by this post. I didn't know there were places to eat in Hood River other than Double Mountain? Some of the best beer and pizza in the state, under one roof? Yes please!

Geography Nerd
Beer Tester

Geography Nerd
Beer Tester
PostTue Aug 11, 2015 8:42 am 
Spent two separate weekends in HR in the last two months. Kin - more "upscale" for lunch and dinner but no one would look at you sideways if you had shorts and flip-flops (It's Hoord River). Amazing food, we at mostly small plates. Full Sail had decent food and a deck but as others have mentioned Double Mountain is better. Had an amazing heirloom tomato pizza with white sauce. pFriem brewery was a really great surprise. Best beer we had in town and really great food. If you're looking for wineries head across the river and up the hill to Aniche, hands down one of the better wineries I've visited for both wine and atmosphere.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Aug 11, 2015 2:28 pm 
Geography Nerd wrote:
pFriem brewery was a really great surprise. Best beer we had in town and really great food.
I haven't met the guy (Pfriem) that does the brewing, but I met his wife briefly. They are friends of friends of mine that live in Hood River.

Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostWed Nov 14, 2018 9:55 pm 
Since the original post 3 years ago, I've been to Double Mountain Brewery about 5 times, now tops on my list. agree.gif I love the pizza, the beer, the music and the vibe. cool.gif On my return from Portland last weekend I tried a couple of their fresh hop varieties, Killer Green and Killer Lion. up.gif stun.gif On the trip down I had stopped in at the newest Hood River brewery, Ferment. Beautiful, spacious modern wood construction, just down the block from Pfriem. They will need to sell a lot of beer to pay that building off. The falafel pita was delicious. (Be sure to ask for the house green chile sauce.) I had a flight of five sample beers, all quite interesting and tasty. Here is a review from oregonlive: Ferment I still need to try out Everybody's Brewing in White Salmon on a future trip. suuure.gif

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
hbb

hbb
PostWed Nov 21, 2018 2:47 pm 
Get Out and Go wrote:
I still need to try out Everybody's Brewing in White Salmon on a future trip.
Everybody's is definitely worth a visit, I'd almost prefer that brewery to any of the ones on the other side of the river. Nice sleepy quiet vibe on their patio, with a more extensive menu than you might expect. It's a bit out of the way from Hood River, but if you are in the area or are headed toward I-5 anyway, Walking Man in Stevenson is also one to check out.

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostFri Nov 23, 2018 10:51 am 
hbb wrote:
Get Out and Go wrote:
I still need to try out Everybody's Brewing in White Salmon on a future trip.
Everybody's is definitely worth a visit, I'd almost prefer that brewery to any of the ones on the other side of the river. Nice sleepy quiet vibe on their patio, with a more extensive menu than you might expect.
One of my favorites, that's certain. up.gif

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology