Forum Index > Trip Reports > I Told My Wife
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostThu Mar 14, 2019 8:16 pm 
I was leaving to go see the other love of my life. Her name is... Teanaway! wub.gif ( such a sexy name ) What does Teanaway look like? From the neck up, kinda like this.
In a trip report from last year, I said... " I was just telling my wife a couple days ago that I'd like to start a winter activity and set up some game / trail cameras" With my hiking history, for me personally, the Teanaway Community Forest is where I have experienced the majority and largest diversity of wildlife. So, that's where I decided to snowshoe into a off the beaten path & away from snowshoers, cross country / backcountry skiers and snowmobiles. I went out several times before choosing a location and then I finally narrowed it down to a spot. Good location and some dumb luck, I think I was pretty successful
Golden eagle
Golden eagle
Golden eagle
Golden eagle
coyote
coyote
Ever see a coyote climb a tree?
Ever see a coyote climb a tree?
Turkeys
Turkeys
Something just outside of the field of view is frightening the cat. 8 minutes later the grey wolf arrives
Something just outside of the field of view is frightening the cat. 8 minutes later the grey wolf arrives
Grey Wolf
Grey Wolf
bobcat
bobcat
deer
deer
deer
deer
Fun winter activity I love you Teanaway wub.gif

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostThu Mar 14, 2019 8:41 pm 
stun.gif Friggin awesome! RAD! Is that some food in the wolf's mouth?! Good stuff... thanks for sharing! up.gif up.gif up.gif

Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostThu Mar 14, 2019 9:09 pm 
So....did you encounter any wildlife around there? eyes.gif Jackpot!!! tongue.gif

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostThu Mar 14, 2019 9:13 pm 
Very cool, Bootpathguy! I had no idea coyotes could climb trees, and I wonder what the wolf had in its mouth!

Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork
Food truck
PostThu Mar 14, 2019 9:41 pm 
Wow !!!!!

When I grow up I wanna play.
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostThu Mar 14, 2019 10:46 pm 
BIG TIME PREDATORS!!!

timberghost

timberghost
PostFri Mar 15, 2019 5:27 am 
Probably had some ones pet in its mouth

Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostFri Mar 15, 2019 6:10 am 
In my post I stated... "and some dumb luck" Nearby, I found the remains of a deer. I manipulated the carcass to benefit my trail camera set up. The wolf is walking away with what's remaining of the deers head.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostFri Mar 15, 2019 6:32 am 
Wow, BPG, amazing! Would you share your critter cam info? Type, how long you had it up, etc? I was investigating those a while back - there's quite a variety and price range out there.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostFri Mar 15, 2019 8:30 am 
Anne Elk wrote:
Wow, BPG, amazing! Would you share your critter cam info? Type, how long you had it up, etc? I was investigating those a while back - there's quite a variety and price range out there.
For sure ( this is coming from a rookie though ) Lots of things to consider if you're using it other than a backyard critter cam or security camera and not close by to monitor or change batteries & memory cards. But your yard is a good first trial run. That's what I did. Tested it on the dogs. Daytime & nighttime. I'm still learning & experimenting I chose this one because in camera mode ( vs video mode ) it's claimed it can last 11 months with a good set of batteries. I want to place it even deeper into the wilderness and don't know when I'll get a opportunity to retrieve it. Holy Grail for me would be a wolverine! I like the viewing screen. Can scroll through and look @ images without having to remove the memory card and putting it into a computer. Can delete images on site. Although screen is small and sometimes hard to determine what the camera has actually captured Learning curve is easy. I like the quality of the strap. ( Tree strap ) The camera is smaller than most It's has a optional quality accessory steel security case and cable lock As you can see, picture quality isn't great Motion sensor is sensitive and very fast. The motion range ( width & distance ) is really good. Appears to be as equally sensitive day vs night. I've captured a lot of night images. Underwhelming only because there is no color. But still very cool! I was happy to find out that large heavy snowflakes will not trigger the camera but strong winds that move branches will sometimes trigger the camera. Snow bombs from trees also trigger the camera. Birds flying through field of view will trigger the camera. I changed memory cards with my last visit to the camera. Also changed the settings from camera mode to video mode. This will be my first experience using video mode. I've changed locations 3 times now. I've had success capturing wildlife at all locations from CleElum / Roslyn / Teanaway areas. I've been leaving the camera out & undisturbed for about 4 to 6 weeks at a time So far, I'm very happy with the camera. I'm going to get another one Location. Pick a area you know holds wildlife. Wildlife prefer a, pass of least resistance. They like trails and FS roads just like we do. In my report I said I went out several times before deciding where to place my camera. I just read the snow and found lots if wildlife prints ( and then dumb luck with the carcass ) Camera placement is somewhat important. For instance. Height you place it on a tree. If you place the camera in the fall and plan on leaving it out for several months, be aware of the depth of the coming snow pack. Haven't had to worry about that yet. I've been placing mine, 3 to 5 feet off the ground and choosing a tree where it's limbs will not trigger the camera. Be aware of sun location throughout the day. Point the camera north. Don't want the sun shining right into the lens Again, from a novice Browning Strike Force HD https://www.trailcampro.com/ https://www.trailcampro.com/pages/battery-consumption-test-for-trail-cameras

OutOfOffice

OutOfOffice
PostFri Mar 15, 2019 10:51 am 
Awesome stuff. Unique post biggrin.gif

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Mar 15, 2019 11:55 am 
up.gif Great captures. I think the bobcat is my favorite.

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostFri Mar 15, 2019 2:06 pm 
WOW BPG that's awesome! We've been out in the Teanaway quite a bit this winter and keep seeing all kinds of tracks here and there, it's fun. The amount of critters wandering around in there is always an eye opener. Usually at least a few times a year I'm boondocking on the MTB with some other guys trying to dig out new-to-us routes, so if you want some intel feel free to PM me. I'll keep my eyes peeled for places where it seems like the party is going down and ping you if I find a 'hot spot' as well. Our daughter is getting straight As in school this year and I told her if she keeps this up, I might see my way clear to getting her the game cam she's wanted to set up on our property. I don't think we'd catch anything nearly as exciting as this but we're all a little curious to see what trolls through our place at night (besides what seems like 50,000 deer, lol). There's a fun Tim Harrell YouTube channel where he sets up game cameras in Florida. He's had some Browning trail cameras that have been completely submerged for a time and the units have still managed to keep working... It's an impressive advertisement.

~Mom jeans on wheels
kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostFri Mar 15, 2019 2:31 pm 
awesome! coyote climbing the tree is the cutest thing ever!

geyer

geyer
PostFri Mar 15, 2019 4:54 pm 
This is awesome! Can't believe you caught so many predators on cam