Forum Index > Trip Reports > I Told My Wife
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
contour5

contour5
PostFri Mar 15, 2019 4:56 pm 
Great post! Looking forward to seeing the wolverine...

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RichP

RichP
PostFri Mar 15, 2019 5:18 pm 
Thanks for putting face on all those tracks we see in the mountains. cool.gif

pcg

pcg
PostFri Mar 15, 2019 5:46 pm 
Bootpathguy wrote:
I chose this one because in camera mode ( vs video mode ) it's claimed it can last 11 months with a good set of batteries. I want to place it even deeper into the wilderness and don't know when I'll get a opportunity to retrieve it. Holy Grail for me would be a wolverine!
I think you'd be surprised how long the batteries last using video. I've had a Moultrie M-40 for about 18 months and use it to capture video. I keep it ten minutes from my house and check it every Friday. Just checked it an hour ago and had video of mule deer, coyotes, beaver, and bobcat. Those are the usual suspects, along with raccoons, birds, squirrels. I switched it over to video a month after I got it and enjoy that much more! I change the batteries (8 AAs) every four months and have anywhere from 10 to maybe 70 videos a week, and have never run the batteries down. When it snows I get lots of false triggers, as well as when it's windy. I have it set on highest sensitivity. Awesome shot of the golden eagle! And I agree, the holy grail would be gulo gulo, but there's no chance of that where I am in the Willamette Valley. Still hoping for black bear and cougar though. A disadvantage to video is that it takes much longer to view everything. If you're leaving your camera out for months at a time it will take you hours to go through all that video!

Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostFri Mar 15, 2019 8:34 pm 
pcg wrote:
Bootpathguy wrote:
I chose this one because in camera mode ( vs video mode ) it's claimed it can last 11 months with a good set of batteries. I want to place it even deeper into the wilderness and don't know when I'll get a opportunity to retrieve it. Holy Grail for me would be a wolverine!
I think you'd be surprised how long the batteries last using video. I've had a Moultrie M-40 for about 18 months and use it to capture video. I keep it ten minutes from my house and check it every Friday. Just checked it an hour ago and had video of mule deer, coyotes, beaver, and bobcat. Those are the usual suspects, along with raccoons, birds, squirrels. I switched it over to video a month after I got it and enjoy that much more! I change the batteries (8 AAs) every four months and have anywhere from 10 to maybe 70 videos a week, and have never run the batteries down. When it snows I get lots of false triggers, as well as when it's windy. I have it set on highest sensitivity. Awesome shot of the golden eagle! And I agree, the holy grail would be gulo gulo, but there's no chance of that where I am in the Willamette Valley. Still hoping for black bear and cougar though. A disadvantage to video is that it takes much longer to view everything. If you're leaving your camera out for months at a time it will take you hours to go through all that video!
PCG, thanks for the feedback on your personal experiences. Great info! I appreciate it

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostFri Mar 15, 2019 8:47 pm 
Some night images. Different location
bobcat
bobcat
coyote & I think bobcat in the background
coyote & I think bobcat in the background
pair of coyotes
pair of coyotes
bobcat approaching carcass
bobcat approaching carcass

runup

runup
PostFri Mar 15, 2019 10:34 pm 
Excellent, BPG! Thank you for the report. up.gif

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostFri Mar 15, 2019 11:35 pm 
Thanks for the additional info on your cam & scouting tips, BPG. I've never been to the Teanaway area; from a thread late last year I got the impression the area got a lot of ATV and snowmobile use, so, harder to see wildlife - you obviously know the area well. The turkey flock is just amazing - I counted at least 18 in that shot! Wouldn't be surprised if many were from the same clutch; as here, in my favorite critter doc - My Life as a Turkey . It was originally broadcast in the US as part of the PBS Nature series. Who knows, you may yet catch a wolverine on cam. They've been showing up in unexpected places as well as the North Cascades sightings we've heard about more recently.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostSat Mar 16, 2019 12:21 pm 
Most of the Teanaway drainage that is inaccessible by motor, and even of the parts that are, say, moto legal... They're considered difficult enough that I've seen moto guys on line warn off newbs. The amount of wildlife out there is pretty impressive. I have hardly ever done a decent turn with a mountain bike out there without seeing cat tracks along with just about anything else. There are quite a few bears packed in there so keep watching in the spring for all the logs and stumps torn up. smile.gif

~Mom jeans on wheels
jdk610

jdk610
PostSun Mar 17, 2019 3:34 pm 
Very cool! Thanks for sharing!

Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostMon Mar 18, 2019 9:54 pm 
Oh wow! That's so cool!

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
Sallie4jo

Sallie4jo
PostTue Mar 19, 2019 12:48 pm 
Beautiful...the tenaway is one of my favorites too...what a wonderful and exciting catch of those who live there. Ive never seen a wolf or golden out there..had lunch with a passing by bobcat awhile back and in the 80s there were pine martens yhat we got to see. I've seen bear prints but no bear..such an incredible place..thanks for sharing.

I choose to live in a landscape of hope. Terry Tempest Williams
wildcat

wildcat
PostTue Mar 19, 2019 2:30 pm 
Lucky sightings! Read there are three wolves in this pack? Had no idea there were wolves in the cascades (not many). https://wdfw.wa.gov/conservation/gray_wolf/packs/14/

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostTue Mar 19, 2019 3:00 pm 
I *might* have seen a wolf on a super early season MTB recon of the West Fork basin a year or two ago. It was so far away I couldn't judge size so it also could have been a coyote, but... it didn't move quite right for a 'yote. They remind me of tweekers, lol, always kind of twitching and nervous. This obviously wild dog-like critter had a much more 'oily' movement.

~Mom jeans on wheels
Downhill

Downhill
PostWed May 22, 2019 2:59 pm 
BPG Fantastic photos - holy cow, so many great shots!! Congrats on a successful "hunt" and thank you for sharing not only the great pics but also your experience and shooting details. Can't wait to see your wolverine pics!

Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostWed May 22, 2019 9:37 pm 
Thanks everyone. I'm excited to go pick it up again. I placed it off Hwy2 this time. It's been out for a couple months.