Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Windows 10 version 1903 update
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Jul 30, 2019 12:21 pm 
Last night I had this "update" pushed to my laptop. It seems MS decided we needed a new "light" theme. I'm all for options, but I find it the new light blue background washes out my desktop icons and text. It's not an ideal choice for a desktop background. The older muted darker blue background was infinitely more usable as a desktop background. I tried to revert back to the old background to no avail - they removed it. You can choose the "non-light" theme but you're still stuck with the light background. After sending my feedback vent.gif I found the old background online, download it and changed the desktop background back to the old image. Ahh, much better. https://www.howtogeek.com/418719/how-to-get-windows-10s-old-default-desktop-background-back/ It also seems they decided to blur the windows spotlight image when logging in. Not sure why anyone would want that, the whole point of the spotlight image is to see a new image each day on the login screen. Can't wait to find the next "enhancement" to disable... https://winaero.com/blog/disable-blur-sign-in-screen-windows-10/

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostTue Jul 30, 2019 11:08 pm 
Tom, you need Linux in your life. smile.gif

Flickr | Strava

Josh Journey
JimK

JimK
PostWed Jul 31, 2019 6:55 am 
Thanks Tom. I preferred the old background.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Jul 31, 2019 11:41 am 
A while back I encountered some compatibility issues with the Intel video driver for my Dell XPS laptop and after each update would need to revert to an older video driver to get colors to look normal. Initially I thought the video driver was FUBAR again due to the oversaturated / lighter background washing everything out. How this got past usability testing is beyond me and I'm surprised there aren't more complaints about it online but most people probably have a custom desktop background so won't really notice it.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Jul 31, 2019 11:44 am 
Since this happened to me my computer has given me the blue screen of DEATH a hundred times! Damn auto updates! I got into my updates and removed them. All that I can, it wont let me remove a certain single element of the update. That one seems to need to stay. Ive since turned off auto updates. SIGH!

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Jul 31, 2019 12:03 pm 
No blue screen issues here after the update. I've never had any issues with Win 10 or updates other than the video driver which was more of a Dell / Intel issue. A couple months ago I did start getting consistent blue screens after running a program that dumped a lot of temporary files to a folder but fixed it by running the Check Disk repair tool. Might want to look up the specific error you are getting.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Jul 31, 2019 2:39 pm 
Tom wrote:
No blue screen issues here after the update. I've never had any issues with Win 10 or updates other than the video driver which was more of a Dell / Intel issue. A couple months ago I did start getting consistent blue screens after running a program that dumped a lot of temporary files to a folder but fixed it by running the Check Disk repair tool. Might want to look up the specific error you are getting.
I dont know how Tom. It just goes blue and tells me windows has to shut down. It takes 5 minutes and it builds a report to send back to MS. I keep constant update of all of my drivers all the time. This update has caused me a lot of trouble. It happened on a gaming desk top I have. I shut down auto updates on that machine and my gaming laptop. For some reason I cant quite figure out my desktop was ready (so says MS) for the latest update but my laptop wasnt/isnt. Some thing about my laptop isnt ready for this -1903 update. That's fine with me after all the problems my other machine has had.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Jul 31, 2019 6:45 pm 
We just released 1906. How is the Windows team still on the March build?

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Jul 31, 2019 7:29 pm 
You would know better than I. I assume they stage updates rather than force it on everyone at once. According to this link usage share for version 1903 is only 11%. https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/211199/windows-10-version-1903-hits-double-digit-usage-share

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Jul 31, 2019 8:50 pm 
IME: Updates are released on Tuesdays. The BSOD appears due to device driver issues or hardware issues. Testing? The internal test labs in Redmond have thousands of machines, but remember there are 100 of millions of PCs with 100,000s of unique hardware configurations, so YMMV. Every time a PC crashes it creates a crash dump file that will be uploaded to Redmond unless you have changed your privacy settings to not do that. They are collected and cataloged and when enough of the same crash are collected a "bug" is automatically created and investigated. However fixing such issues is challenging as it is often impossible to get such crashes to occur in the lab , so it is difficult to evaluate whether any proposed fix will actually address the issue or whether it will introduce new issues that are worse. It's scary to release such fixes, but it is satisfying to review crash statistics two months after deployment and observe a big drop.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Aug 03, 2019 9:33 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
IME: Updates are released on Tuesdays. The BSOD appears due to device driver issues or hardware issues. Testing? The internal test labs in Redmond have thousands of machines, but remember there are 100 of millions of PCs with 100,000s of unique hardware configurations, so YMMV. Every time a PC crashes it creates a crash dump file that will be uploaded to Redmond unless you have changed your privacy settings to not do that. They are collected and cataloged and when enough of the same crash are collected a "bug" is automatically created and investigated. However fixing such issues is challenging as it is often impossible to get such crashes to occur in the lab , so it is difficult to evaluate whether any proposed fix will actually address the issue or whether it will introduce new issues that are worse. It's scary to release such fixes, but it is satisfying to review crash statistics two months after deployment and observe a big drop.
I appreciate the information, but I had to uninstall that update. My machine was crashing so often it was unusable.

cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostSun Aug 04, 2019 6:46 am 
updates updates bah humbug.. I never update and have had very little problems. yall going to the wrong sites maybe?? I never installed antimalware or antivirus either... the only virus I ever got came with a game I bought, it was cmos b and I took it back to the store who promply removed it and gave me the software to remove it from my computer. it was on a floppy disc. yalls got to many bells and whistles ya dont need!

neek

neek
PostSun Aug 04, 2019 8:21 am 
zimmertr wrote:
Tom, you need Linux in your life. smile.gif
I haven't looked back since Slackware 2.0 or thereabouts biggrin.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Aug 04, 2019 11:07 am 
Never used Linux and not sure what the draw would be. Overall I have very few complaints with Win 10. It's been pretty stable for me for the last 3 years, loads fast, and is compatible with all of my software. Just scratching my head why they would remove options in an update to fix things that are not broken.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Sep 13, 2022 5:19 pm 
Old thread I know but I am thinking of buying a laptop, am not tech savvy and not sure what my best options are. I have been using a Samsung Chromebook tablet that is about 8 years old and starting to act up. I have really liked the Chromebook, the only thing I would like to be able to do that it can't do is to upload music CD's to load onto a micro SD. With just a quick search HP seems to make a reasonably priced unit that is hopefully good quality. So I will just use it for social media, youtube videos, browsing, uploading CDs, etc...hope to find something light and say between 175-250 price range. Help?

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.