Forum Index > Trail Talk > Outdoor related personal safety / guns / hunting
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Aug 30, 2019 7:51 pm 
interesting how different some states are. When I used to go down to Phoenix to work at the Palo Verde Nuclear plant I would always stay with my mom in Apache Junction for three or four weeks after the job was done. During that time I would hike in the Superstition Mountains four five days a week. In well over 80 hiking trips in the Arizona desert, only once did I come across another hiker who WASNT armed! In all my years here in Washington. In thousands of hiking trips Ive only once seen another hiker armed. LOL. I carry concealed at all times, mountains included. In the past I carried open in the out of doors but too many times I scared people, and that's not what I want to do.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostFri Aug 30, 2019 9:55 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
interesting how different some states are. When I used to go down to Phoenix to work at the Palo Verde Nuclear plant I would always stay with my mom in Apache Junction for three or four weeks after the job was done. During that time I would hike in the Superstition Mountains four five days a week. In well over 80 hiking trips in the Arizona desert, only once did I come across another hiker who WASNT armed! In all my years here in Washington. In thousands of hiking trips Ive only once seen another hiker armed. LOL. I carry concealed at all times, mountains included. In the past I carried open in the out of doors but too many times I scared people, and that's not what I want to do.
Well, Tom, some people are easily scared, for no rational reason. Just sayin'. winksmile.gif

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Aug 31, 2019 8:21 pm 
Dave Workman wrote:
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Well, Tom, some people are easily scared, for no rational reason. Just sayin'. winksmile.gif
Thanks Dave and I don't disagree, but I really don't want to ruin anyones outdoor experience if I don't have to.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Oct 17, 2019 10:35 pm 
Thursday October 17, 2019 14:49 PDT WDFW NEWS RELEASE WDFW announces pink is legal OLYMPIA – The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) has established rules for fluorescent hunter pink. During the 2019 legislative session, the state legislature passed Senate Bill 5148 that allows hunters to wear fluorescent hunter pink. The Fish and Wildlife Commission recently adopted rules to implement the legislation, which allows hunters to wear fluorescent hunter pink, fluorescent hunter orange, or both. Several other states have passed laws allowing hunters to wear pink clothing for safety. "Hunters must follow the same requirements as hunter orange if they wear hunter pink," said David Whipple, WDFW hunter education division manager. "If you hunt during a season that requires visible clothing, you're required to wear a minimum of 400 square inches above the waist that is visible from all sides." A hat, by itself, does not meet the requirement. Hunters may wear fluorescent hunter orange and fluorescent hunter pink on different garments or the same garment. As with hunter orange, a camouflage hunter pink pattern is legal as long as it is fluorescent. Hunters can find more information on hunter pink at wdfw.wa.gov/hunting/requirements/ethics-safety/hunter-orange. "This legislation follows that of numerous other states across the country and simply gives Washington hunters an additional color option to be seen while out in the field," said Jen Syrowitz, Washington Outdoor Women Director. "And, if one grandfather in pink inspires his granddaughter to explore the outdoors, that is a great supplementary outcome!" Since WDFW began requiring hunters to wear hunter orange, as well as pass a hunter education class, hunting incidents have declined significantly in Washington. "We're excited to add this new option for our hunters," added Whipple. "Many hunters, regardless of gender or age, are looking forward to wearing fluorescent hunter pink." Those who wish to learn more about hunter safety can visit our hunting education and requirements page at wdfw.wa.gov/hunting/requirements. -WDFW-

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Oct 19, 2019 3:17 pm 
Pink huh? Hell, I don't even wear orange. I hunt from my deck, on my property. Other than that, orange works for me.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Oct 19, 2019 8:24 pm 
real men wear pink
real men wear pink

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Oct 23, 2019 2:41 pm 
Wednesday October 23, 2019 13:53 PDT WDFW NEWS RELEASE WDFW partners with Weyerhaeuser Company to open 6,638 acres of forest for hunters OLYMPIA – This summer, Weyerhaeuser Company enrolled 6,638 acres in the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife's (WDFW) Private Lands Access program. WDFW opened this section of forest as Feel Free to Hunt access this year. "We are excited that Weyerhaeuser Company has chosen to provide free public hunting access on these parcels," said Kessina Lee, WDFW Region 5 Director. "This greatly expands portions of their property for hunting opportunities for our southwest Washington hunters and those who visit from around the state." The land, referred to as the Cathlamet block, spans Cowlitz, Pacific, and Wahkiakum counties, and all the parcels are adjacent to Department of Natural Resources lands. "Weyerhaeuser is pleased to offer the opportunity for hunters to recreate on our tree farms," said Jammer Free, Weyerhaeuser Area Manager. "While our recreation program already offers a diversity of permitted, leased, and open access options for getting outdoors, this new partnership with WDFW will expand recreationists' opportunity to safely experience our timberlands and its wildlife inhabitants on 6,000 acres of scenic Weyerhaeuser working forest." The access site is now open for all hunting seasons. Hunters are not required to have a Weyerhaeuser Company Access Permit to hunt on this property. Some areas of the land are not accessible by road, and there are some areas marked non-motorized access. "We've seen deer, elk, and black bear on this property," Lee added. "We're hoping our hunters and recreationists enjoy quality outdoor time in this forest." Anyone using the site must follow Weyerhaeuser Company's access rules posted at weyerhaeuser.com/recreational-access/northwest-region/faqs/. WDFW's Private Lands Access program allows the department to secure public hunter access on private lands. In 2018, WDFW had 1.3 million acres of private lands available for hunters to use. Through agreements with private landowners, the department has secured thousands of acres of private land for Feel Free to Hunt, Register to Hunt, Hunt By Written Permission, or Hunt By Reservation access. Follow the link for more information about WDFW's Private Lands Access program at wdfw.wa.gov/hunting/locations/private-lands#. The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife is the state agency tasked with preserving, protecting and perpetuating fish, wildlife, and ecosystems, while providing sustainable fishing and hunting opportunities. -WDFW-

Vertec

Vertec
PostSun Nov 17, 2019 7:29 pm 
Vertec wrote:
Elsewhere on this forum are recent threads discussing Lions, Trailhead robbers, Machete Murders, and Bears (oh My). Last year four people were attacked by cougars in three separate incidents leaving two dead in the Cascades. One of these attacks received no media coverage, but was reported in NWHikers.net (Kudos to NWHikers.net). Decisions about how to protect yourself (or not) are your decisions. No one can make them for you - including the person behind the counter at a gun shop. Betting on luck can be the decision a lot of people will make and end up just fine. Some of us including myself, have encountered situations where our luck ran out. Don't underestimate the impact it will have on you if your luck runs out someday. Do your own research to make informed decisions for what is best for you.
In addition to the person behind the counter at a gun shop, I must also add NRA Pistol Instructors, and RSOs to the list of people to avoid when making decisions about use of firearms for personal safety. Although they can certainly be helpful when getting started in firearms. People who hike in jeans and cowboy leather are just plain doing it wrong moon.gif There is a vast difference between learning to shoot a firearm, and acquiring defensive gunfighting skills.

Out There, carrying the self-evident truth I am endowed by my Creator with unalienable rights of self-defended Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness.
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Nov 19, 2019 9:02 am 
Vertec wrote:
There is a vast difference between learning to shoot a firearm, and acquiring defensive gun fighting skills.
Valid point certainly. There are a few local gun skills schools people can look for. Defensive handgun. Defensive rifle. Defensive shotgun. Etc etc etc. There are also many very good books available from very credible authors on the use of handguns for defensive purposes. The use of a defensive gun, be it handgun or rifle should NOT be taken lightly. With respect to the law, there are some very clear times when when a gun should be used and when a gun should not he used. Knowing these laws (especially Washington State where we live) IS NECESSARY if you are going to carry a gun for defensive purposes. A very good place to start is :Washington State gun rights and responsibilities by our very own Dave Workman. This small book will give you a very good head start on understanding when where how and why to use or not use a gun to defend yourself. Washington State Gun Rights and Responsibilities-Amazon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostTue Nov 19, 2019 9:20 am 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
A very good place to start is :Washington State gun rights and responsibilities by our very own Dave Workman. This small book will give you a very good head start on understanding when where how and why to use or not use a gun to defend yourself.
Rats, out of print currently. More coming soon? As much as I like handguns, if I ever think I need to carry for protection (from people), I'll go elsewhere. Lots of places for me to go explore.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostWed May 20, 2020 11:05 am 
Vertec wrote:
In addition to the person behind the counter at a gun shop, I must also add NRA Pistol Instructors, and RSOs to the list of people to avoid when making decisions about use of firearms for personal safety. Although they can certainly be helpful when getting started in firearms. People who hike in jeans and cowboy leather are just plain doing it wrong moon.gif
Uh, that guy Workman mentioned by BPJ is an NRA pistol instructor. The book went out of print a few years ago. Sorry about that.
Sept. 11A
Sept. 11A

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence
Brucester

Brucester
PostTue Jul 07, 2020 9:58 am 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Mountain biking in Arizona I never did see a rider armed but I did see open carry in Goodwill yesterday... It was quite shocking to be honest.

pcg

pcg
PostTue Jul 07, 2020 10:28 am 
I'm curious. With all the talk about the need to carry a firearm for protection... has anyone here ever actually needed it to protect themselves from another human, or does anyone here even know someone who used a firearm to protect themselves from another human. I'm not talking about what you imagine, I'm talking about the real world. Do you really need to carry a gun while hiking? I'm specifying human because, from everything I've read and from experts I've talked to, guns aren't necessary to protect folks from animals in the PNW. Bear spray is more effective and also avoids injuring the animal. So... convince me.

xrp
Tactical Backpacker

xrp
Tactical Backpacker
PostWed Jul 08, 2020 6:53 am 
pcg wrote:
I'm curious. With all the talk about the need to carry a firearm for protection... has anyone here ever actually needed it to protect themselves from another human, or does anyone here even know someone who used a firearm to protect themselves from another human. I'm not talking about what you imagine, I'm talking about the real world. Do you really need to carry a gun while hiking? I'm specifying human because, from everything I've read and from experts I've talked to, guns aren't necessary to protect folks from animals in the PNW. Bear spray is more effective and also avoids injuring the animal. So... convince me.

LookForFood, moonspots
Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostMon Oct 05, 2020 9:50 am 
Just a reminder: All of those people you see with guns in the forests actually belong there at this time of year especially. Muzzleloader seasons are now open in several spots, and the big game modern firearms season for deer opens Oct. 17. Be careful out there. Remember to wear orange (or pink if you prefer rolleyes.gif ) and have a good time. And SHHHHHHH!!! mum.gif wink.gif wink.gif