Forum Index > Food & Grub > Food Report of My Oregon PCT Section Hike
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostTue Sep 10, 2019 10:02 pm 
On July 14 I started at Callahan's in, Mile 1717.7, and arrived in Cascade Locks on August 8, Mile 2147.3. This was a total of 429. 6 miles. I took four zeros, two of which were unplanned and due to my hiking partner's medical issue. He had to leave the trail at Fish Lake, Mile 1773.2. I hiked solo for the rest, 374.1 miles. I mailed all my food resupplies for this trip, so everything I ate on trail was planned out. Even on my zero days I mostly ate food from my resupply. I think I ate a total of three hamburgers, two slices of pizza, two wraps, and a salad which I purchased. Oh yea, I also ate the infamous breakfast buffet at Tmberline Lodge. Anyway, my food was protein and fat heavy, with as few carbs as I could get away with. Breakfast everyday was bacon jerky and a coffee/egg powder/protein powder/Nido shake. Lunch was cheese (either Whisps or FD cheddar) and two landjaegers. Dinner was another protein shake with peanut butter powder instead of egg powder and no coffee. I also had an entree like a potato soup with FD meat and FD cheese added, a beef stroganoff, naked burrito, cheddar broccoli soup, beef or chicken noodle dish. All of these I added good fats in the form of olive oil, mayo, or a blue cheese or ceasar dressing. I also added stuff like the Crispy Jalapenos or Crispy Onions to thicken things and crunch/flavor. All these entrees I assembled myself from FD products and spices and flavor mixes. I did use the Idahoan potato soup mix as well. I used rice noodles for my noodle dishes as well as the stroganoff. I also had chocolate pudding two or three times a week with Coconut Cookie Thins as a dessert. My snacks consisted of 3-4 ounces of nuts per day along with four bars. My bars were protein and nut bars I got from Costco. I did have one Payday candy bar each day as a treat. I also used one packet of Emergen-C each day, sometimes two packets. This added up to about 3500-4000 Calories per day of quality food and about 1.5 pound average in weigh per day. I did not break Calories down as to % of proteins, carbs, and fats; but I estimate it was pretty close to 40% - 60% fats, and the rest evenly divided between carbs and proteins. Some days I did not eat everything for that day but other days I would eat more. It varied according to how I felt. I never seemed to be famished. I only bonked once and I think that was more due to lack of sleep the night before than it was about not enough food. I was careful to eat something at least every two hours. I started hiking at about 6am each day and finished anywhere between 4pm and 7pm. Only twice did I hike until 8 pm. I would estimate 6pm as the average time I stopped and set up camp. Shortest all trail day was 13 miles and the longest was 28 miles. Having said that, I started the hike weighing 143 pounds. When I finished I weighed 143, not having lost any weight. This was a great accomplishment for me. I didn't have much spare fat to burn off and was a bit worried I would lose muscle mass. But I stayed the same. Excluding the zeros, I averaged about 21.5 miles per day. Including the zero days I averaged almost 18 miles per day. I feel like I have proven to myself I can eat tasty quality food, not over burden myself in food weight, and not lose body mass. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostWed Sep 11, 2019 1:25 pm 
These are the four bars I had during the day as snacks. Kirkland Signature Nut Bars I am pretty sure these are rebranded Kind Bars. Kirkland Signature Protein Bars These come in four different flavors but all have a similar nutritianal profile. Autumn's Gold Grain-Free Granola Bars These were surprisingly filling and packed a lot of good fat. Payday Candy Bar My daily treat. I love these things and used them for motivation. Yea, they have 21 grams of sugar but they are so tasty. YMMV For my nuts I made up my own mix of shelled pistachios, almonds, macadamia, cashews, and peanuts. The macadamia pack 230 Calories per ounce and the other nuts about 170-180 Calories per ounce. They all have a similar fat/carb/protein profile with the macadaia having the most fat. The mixed nuts ranged from 540 Calories to 720 Calories per day. My four bars equaled 850 Calories per day. That is 1390 to 1570 Calories per day in snacks. When hiker hunger kicked in, I needed all that. My practice was to eat breakfast and start hiking by 6am. At two hour intervals I would have a bar. So breakfast 6am, bar #1 at 8am, bar #2 at 10 am, lunch at noon, bar #3 at 2 pm, bar #4 at 4pm, and dinner after arriving at camp around 6pm. Interspersed between bars and meals were munching on nuts. For my dinners I used FD ingredients from Emergency Essentials. Similar FD foods can be had elsewhere, I am just accustomed to dealing with Emergency Essentials. I get all sorts of FD veggies, meats, and cheeses. I use these in conjunction with soup mixes like Idahoan Steakhouse Loaded Potato as a base. Idahoan also has other flavored soup mixes I used. I admit they are carb heavy so I just used them as a base and added the FD cheese, meat, and veggies. I used Lotus Foods Organic Millet & Brown Rice Ramen Noodles for base of all my noodle dishes. I added spice mixes and such depending on what I was making, along with FD meat, cheese, and veggies. I used dehydrated refried beans for the base of my SW styled dinners, again adding FD meats, veggies, and cheese along with my own spices. Here is one dish, Alfredo Chicken Pasta, I adapted to my own style, using the rice noodle ramen rather than macaroni. Another was this Chicken Shrimp Pad Thai I adapted and did not bother with the shrimp. Here's a Buffalo Pasta Salad I used, again substituting my rice ramen noodles instead of pasta and adding FD meat and veggies. My stroganoff I just experimented myself. I have lots of stuff like sour cream powder, and other stuff to help approximate the original dishes. I make "naked" burritos like Qudoba because I don't carry tortillas. They are just too heavy in my estimation. YMMV All my dinners I cooked freezer bag style. Anyway, if you have any question feel free to ask away. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostWed Sep 11, 2019 3:43 pm 
Just curious about why you were eating every 2 hours. I've found that when I'm exerting myself, I'm not at all hungry. For the # of miles/day you were doing, lunch stops make sense, but every 2 hrs seems like ... a lot. biggrin.gif

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostWed Sep 11, 2019 4:12 pm 
Mainly the idea was to spread out the food intake over the day. That was especially true once hiker hunger set in. I have read a lot of different strategies for eating and taking in food periodically made the most sense to me. I didn't stop to eat, just had the snacks easily available and ate them as I walked. I would stop for lunch though. It varied according to how I felt and what my goal was for the day which determined how long I stopped for lunch. I have a tendency to keep hiking and ignore eating and drinking while I am going well. That was why I decided to try and evenly space out my snacks and lunch to stay fueled hydrated. Rumi

Bernardo

Bernardo
PostWed Sep 11, 2019 5:08 pm 
Hi RumiDude, Nice hike! How would you adjust your diet if just going for 5 days or so? What was your most days between resupplies?

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostWed Sep 11, 2019 5:50 pm 
Bernardo wrote:
How would you adjust your diet if just going for 5 days or so?
I would not take as much food if just going for less than eight or nine days. Hiker hunger took a little over a week to hit. I did plan less food for the first week. Then I ramped it up.
Bernardo wrote:
What was your most days between resupplies?
There was 108 mile stretch as my longest between resupplys. By then I was moving pretty good so it actually took a day and some change less time than I planned. I planned averaging about 16-20 miles per day. At 16 miles per day, I would take six plus days to span that distance. I ended up doing it in five days. Rumi