Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > campfires??
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Jamin Smitchger

Jamin Smitchger
PostSun Feb 06, 2005 7:10 pm 
Yes, i eat cold, I do not rely on campfires except to cook my trout. If I am going hiking for a couple days, I generally bring sandwiches for the first day and then have granola, candy bars, apples, or trail mix for the second day. I did use a sterno once when I tried to climb glacier peak last year. I do not generally have time to fire up the stove because my brother generally wants to get going early in the morning. smile.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
polecatjoe
Silent but deadly

polecatjoe
Silent but deadly
PostMon Feb 07, 2005 10:24 am 
Which brings us back to: coffee.gif

"If we didn't live venturously, plucking the wild goat by the beard, and trembling over precipices, we should never be depressed, I've no doubt; but already should be faded, fatalistic and aged." - Virginia Woolf
GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostSun Feb 27, 2005 1:49 am 
This is an interesting topic that I've been trying to read through. I see no problem having fires allowed in trail accessable areas. I see many mention of the Foss Lakes area. I'm newly back into backpacking after about a 15-20 year hiatus, so I'm working on getting back up to speed with my old stomping grounds. Several weeks ago I hiked into Trout Lake the first in the Foss Lakes chain. I was shocked by the dismal appearance of the area from what I remember. This lake used to be a Boy Scout magnet and a place that many of you might have camped. I saw the No Campfire signs and it was like huh? There are blowdowns and debris everywhere! Not all from the lake being flooded. I saw another sign saying to camp in only the 5 designated campsites. HUH? Granted this area saw 100 people on a weekend camping out and it was stripped clean of easy wood, but there was never a problem finding campfire wood if you wanted to expend a little effort. This applies to any hike in area I've been to in our mountains. Vast amounts of trees and wood debris fall through out the year in a low level lake forrest like around Trout Lake and most of the hike in areas below 5,000 ft. I see no reason not to have small fires in a responsible manner. It's a means of cleaning up an area and getting rid of blowdown and debris. Many areas that I've hiked in to this year I've been very surprised at how they've reverted back to head high brush and debrisf from lack of use. Maybe this is good. Only the people that don't mind wading through head high wet brush will hike there. From someone that's been there and down that years ago, it's been a big eye opener for sure with what's going on out there. It's not all doom and gloom, so don't get me wrong. I'm excited with the new lightweight gear. This winters weather has me chomping at the bit and thinking about July hikes for March. Now don't get me started on the NW Forrest Pass!......smile.gif

You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye......Eagles