verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostTue Sep 17, 2019 6:38 am 
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
neek

neek
PostTue Sep 17, 2019 7:57 am 
Reminds me a little of that weird camera awilson was carrying around last year. Definitely makes my little hand-held Canon pointless. Curious to see how the Pixel 4 (Oct 15) will compare. Get ready to start seeing lots of horribly composed wide angle shots.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Sep 17, 2019 12:33 pm 
Looks pretty good. I know most are iphone users (last time I was in the AT&T store they said they don't sell many android devices at all) and it's good to see Apple catching up and then some. I'm a little surprised there isn't more computational photography focus to generate wide angle. The technology is there to perfectly align lots of photos and do a superior job than traditional stitching. I think I'd prefer that over a super wide lens. One thing I really hate about my Pixel 3 is how bad the panorama option is in camera. You can stitch a maximum of 2 photos and the result is low resolution. Pretty much worthless, you have to stitch everything later.

Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostTue Sep 17, 2019 5:03 pm 
The embargo on publishing reviews of the iPhone 11 has ended so there are a number of reviews online now. This one has photos with a slider making it easy to compare the iPhone 11 Pro to a Google Pixel 3 and a Samsung Galaxy Note 10 Plus. https://www.tomsguide.com/reviews/iphone-11-pro

neek

neek
PostTue Sep 17, 2019 6:54 pm 
Tom wrote:
I'm a little surprised there isn't more computational photography focus to generate wide angle. The technology is there to perfectly align lots of photos and do a superior job than traditional stitching. I think I'd prefer that over a super wide lens. One thing I really hate about my Pixel 3 is how bad the panorama option is in camera. You can stitch a maximum of 2 photos and the result is low resolution. Pretty much worthless, you have to stitch everything later.
Agreed; I take photospheres with mine all the time (figure they might be useful some day) and it seems like they could be rendered in various interesting ways. Yet I haven't found any editing software for them. But my Pixel 2 has a pano mode that works much like Apple's (you take a panning video and it gets stitched together) so I'm not sure what you mean with the 2 photo thing.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Sep 17, 2019 7:36 pm 
Every time I have tried a panorama it only lets me take two shots. Maybe I'm doing it wrong but regardless the folks on reddit say it's better to just take photos and stitch them yourself. I haven't tried the photosphere option but I'm thinking that's for 360 spheres and apparently you give up HDR. I'm just looking for high quality extra wide angle. https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/9oodix/pixel_3_awful_panorama_quality/ Perhaps these processors are pushing their limits in which case a super wide lens is a better solution (for now) than than asking the camera to both stitch and perform HDR.

neek

neek
PostTue Sep 17, 2019 8:40 pm 
Photospheres are fun. Can't figure out how to embed but here's one where HDR is clearly happening, although there are some obvious stitching issues https://photos.app.goo.gl/Wcm2Ut76fs3YUiJD6 (have to click on the little icon to activate interactive viewer) Here's a pano done on the Pixel 2 (just noticed all the vertical streaks in the sky)
And a flat-rendered photosphere which of course is bizarre
Didn't know Google Photos could stitch together panos. Just poked around in it and noticed it automatically stitched together some really old photos. Kind of creepy if you think about it. But for real creepiness try searching for someone's name in google photos. Often it will find pictures of that person, even if you've never told it who they are. Oh yeah, this is the iPhone thread. Apple is trying to be the less creepy option.

Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostWed Sep 18, 2019 6:42 am 
https://www.theverge.com/2019/9/17/20868727/apple-iphone-11-pro-max-review-camera-battery-life-screen-midnight-green-price Quoting: Apple told me that the real improvements are due to a bump from an 8-bit rendering pipeline to 10 bits, and something it calls “semantic rendering,” which is basically an update to Smart HDR that recognizes individual elements of an image and adjusts them appropriately. From my conversations with Apple, semantic rendering basically goes like this: 1. The iPhone starts taking photos to a buffer the instant you open the camera app. So by the time you actually press the shutter button, it’s captured four underexposed frames and the photo you want. Then it grabs one overexposed frame. (This is all basically the same as the iPhone XS and the Pixel 3, except the Pixel doesn’t grab that overexposed frame.) 2. Smart HDR looks for things in the photos it understands: the sky, faces, hair, facial hair, things like that. 3. Then it uses the additional detail from the underexposed and overexposed frames to selectively process those areas of the image: hair gets sharpened, the sky gets de-noised but not sharpened, faces get relighted to make them look more even, and facial hair gets sharpened up. 4. Smart HDR is also now less aggressive with highlights and shadows. Highlights on faces aren’t corrected as aggressively as before because those highlights make photos look more natural, but other highlights and shadows are corrected to regain detail. 5. The whole image gets saved and shows up in your camera roll. 6. This all happens instantly every time you take a photo.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Sep 28, 2019 2:14 pm 
Im getting pretty tired of Apple. When Jobs was alive they came out with "NEW" products every year it seemed like. I cant remember a new product from Apple in years. I remember the rumor that Apple had a couple dozen top secret products in R&D.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Sep 28, 2019 2:21 pm 
The iPhone 11 is pretty impressive though, at least from a cell phone camera perspective.

seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostSat Sep 28, 2019 7:53 pm 
> I cant remember a new product from Apple in years. I remember the rumor that Apple had a couple dozen top secret products in R&D. The Apple watch. But otherwise, yeah, more of the same with small incremental changes.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostMon Sep 30, 2019 12:26 pm 
seawallrunner wrote:
The Apple watch.
Introduced in 2014. Yeah, they've done some significant updates; particularly adding LTE connectivity in '17 and the biosensors (allowing for features like the "fall detection" i.e. "I've fallen and I can't get up!" and ECG readouts). I have to agree though wit BPJ that the level of innovation seems much lower now. They strike me as much more of a marketing machine now than a wildly innovative hardware pathfinder...

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSun Oct 06, 2019 8:53 pm 
I got an 11 last week. My first smart phone. Here are the first pics I took, from a canoe on Union Bay and in Ravenna Creek near the Husky soccer fields.

williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostWed Oct 09, 2019 1:42 pm 
These photos were taken with the iPhone 11 Pro.... https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8030643

I desire medium danger williswall.com
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Oct 09, 2019 1:55 pm 
Curious how you got the sunbursts, did you add a filter?