Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > 'Environmental Nightmare' After Thousands Of Atlantic Salmon Escape Fish Farm 08/24/17
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Oct 16, 2019 8:46 am 
The failure of the predicted apocalypse is nothing new, but the fears will spike once again with the next predicted apocalypse.... while the failure will be forgotten.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Brian R

Brian R
PostWed Oct 16, 2019 6:07 pm 
They THRIVE on it. (Allcaps for effect.)

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Oct 16, 2019 6:21 pm 
There won't be any apocalypse because the legislature in Olympia has effectively put the kibosh on Cooke and the aquaculture industry here. They're done here. There are good reasons why they're not allowed in California, Oregon, and Alaska.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
MyFootHurts
Huge Member

MyFootHurts
Huge Member
PostWed Oct 16, 2019 6:32 pm 
Ski wrote:
There won't be any apocalypse because the legislature in Olympia has effectively put the kibosh on Cooke and the aquaculture industry here. They're done here. There are good reasons why they're not allowed in California, Oregon, and Alaska.
The event in the first post of this thread was supposed to be an environmental apocalypse. Nice try moving the goal posts though.

Gregory

Gregory
PostThu Oct 17, 2019 10:55 am 
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Oct 17, 2019 11:42 am 
Ski wrote:
I question that those reasons are good, since many of them are predicated upon the same arguments that posited the apocalypse in the first place. Look at the release on the page top here. Given the 2017 escapes...which did not result in the predicted/posited outcomes. "we know that there is a heightened sense of concern around the impacts of fish aquaculture in Puget Sound"...heightened senses and feelings of concern due to predictions which do not pan out pushed by people opposing industry from the git go, are not objective reasons to back govt actions.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Oct 17, 2019 9:16 pm 
As disinclined as I am to even bother responding to the above posts, I'll indulge you here:
MtnGoat wrote:
I question that those reasons are good, since many of them are predicated upon the same arguments that posited the apocalypse in the first place. Look at the release on the page top here.
First of all, I didn't write the article, nor did I write the headline of the article in the original post of this thread. If you have an issue with the language used, you should write a letter (or email) to the author of the article or their copy editor. If by "release", you're talking about the WDFW newsletter above of October 2, that was written by somebody at WDFW. If you've got an issue with the language used in the release, their web site has a "contact us" tab on it somewhere. My arguments are not based solely on the information contained in the article of the original post. I took the time to read about the subject. There are all kinds of articles, peer-reviewed papers, and videos on the web. Some of them have to be taken with a grain of salt, certainly, but overall they paint a rather dismal picture of the "aquaculture" industry as a whole - not only concerning salmon in Puget Sound, but also other aquatic species (e.g., shrimp and tilapia) which are farmed globally. I would suggest that some in-depth research on the issue would most likely allow you to have a greater understanding of the issue in a larger context. Feel free to dismiss the arguments against aquaculture based solely on one admittedly rather alarmist press release - I can understand why somebody would do that if they were not inclined to investigate further - but don't expect me to change my mind, or accept your opinions regarding the matter as valid, because candidly, I honestly do not believe you really have any grasp of the larger picture where "aquaculture" is concerned - it's not just about salmon in Puget Sound. As for the other comments above - just more noisemaking in an attempt to get attention.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Gregory

Gregory
PostSat Oct 26, 2019 4:41 am 
I wish you were right Ski in that that Cook was done here but there not. They are coming back in force and there hopping in bed with the tribes to boot. A small note, not only do the tribes own our crooked politicians but they also have unusual powers within the army corps of engineers. https://www.kitsapsun.com/story/news/2019/10/25/cooke-aquaculture-plans-raise-native-fish-puget-sound/4090855002/ https://wdfw.wa.gov/sites/default/files/2019-10/MDNS%2019-056%20Culturing%20STHD%20in%20Cooke%20Net%20Pens.pdf I find this fascinating.... "WDFW has determined that this proposal will likely not have a significant adverse impact on the environment. Therefore, state law1 does not require an environmental impact statement (EIS). WDFW made this mitigated determination of nonsignificance (MDNS) after we reviewed the environmental checklist and other information on file with us. " So our Guv and the tribes went from to telling us how bad the farms were, to they are so great they do not need an environmental impact statement.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Oct 26, 2019 12:21 pm 
The Kitsap Sun article cited above was published Friday, October 25, 2019
Lisa Wood, WDFW, in the MITIGATED DETERMINATION OF NONSIGNIFICANCE signed October 1, 2019 wrote:
The comment period will end at 5:00 pm on October 22, 2019.
and then when you click on the link in the Kitsap Sun article you see: EXTENDED 11/01/2019 5:00 PM

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostSat Oct 26, 2019 2:03 pm 
MyFootHurts wrote:
This turned out be another big nothing. Some fish got out. That's it.
The Province and Fisheries Canada attempted numerous, extensive, and varied strategies as well as modest efforts by the WA State Fisheries, at trying to establish Atlantic Salmon runs in the NE Pacific. Knowing those failed I can’t believe educated professionals were surprised that effect was modest, and short lived. Maybe the orcas even ate a few. Other attempted failures were WA State attempted to establish even year pink runs. And the Canadian Fed’s let lots of lobster go at about every life stage, even adults by the ton. I kinda of wished there was a lobster fishery off the Province. The vision of fresh Haida Gwaii lobster at the local QFC appeals.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Oct 30, 2019 11:40 pm 
Wednesday October 30, 2019 16:45 PDT WDFW NEWS RELEASE Public comment extended on Cooke Aquaculture proposal to raise rainbow trout/steelhead in Washington waters OLYMPIA – The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) announced today that it is extending a State Environmental Policy Act (SEPA) public comment period related to a proposal by Cooke Aquaculture to farm sterile (triploid) rainbow trout/steelhead in Puget Sound. Earlier this month, WDFW posted a SEPA mitigated determination of non-significance regarding Cooke's proposal to transition from farming Atlantic salmon to farming steelhead in several of the company's existing facilities in Puget Sound. The SEPA public comment period, which was originally scheduled to close on Oct. 22 before an initial 10-day extension, will now close at 5 p.m. on Nov. 22. Cooke's proposal applies to four net pens currently operating near Rich Passage and Skagit Bay, but in the future may cover three more Puget Sound net pens owned by Cooke. Cooke submitted a five-year Marine Aquaculture permit application to WDFW in January of this year, and a SEPA checklist with supporting documents in July. The extensions are meant to give the public ample time to review the proposal and submit comments, said WDFW Director Kelly Susewind. "We know that there is significant public interest in this proposal," Susewind said. "We want to provide stakeholders with the best opportunity to make their voices heard in this process." To submit comments and to view the determination and supporting documents, visit the SEPA documents available for public comment webpage at https://wdfw.wa.gov/licenses/environmental/sepa/open-comments. Only written comments will be considered. WDFW is the state agency tasked with preserving, protecting and perpetuating fish, wildlife and ecosystems, while providing sustainable fishing, hunting and other outdoor recreation opportunities. -WDFW-

Gregory

Gregory
PostSat Nov 02, 2019 4:18 am 
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Nov 08, 2019 8:13 pm 
Friday November 1, 2018 17:19 PDT WDFW FISHING RULE CHANGE Quillayute River and tributaries (Sol Duc, Dickey, Bogachiel, and Calawah rivers) to close to fishing Action: Closes to all fishing. Effective date: Nov. 4, 2019 through Nov. 22, 2019. Species affected: All fish species. Location: Quillayute River and tributaries (including Sol Duc, Dickey, Bogachiel and Calawah rivers). Reason for action: Early season abundance indicators confirm the returning Quillayute River wild coho salmon run is below harvestable levels. This conservation measure is necessary to allow more fish to reach the spawning grounds in order to meet wild escapement goals. Additional information: The Quileute Tribe, Olympic National Park, and WDFW have agreed to close their respective fisheries to protect wild coho. The rivers will re-open to fishing on Nov. 23, 2019, when coho have cleared the fishing area. See special rules for each river in the Sport Fishing Rules pamphlet. Wild coho release will remain in effect for all rivers. Please see the 2019-20 Washington Sport Fishing Rules pamphlet for additional rules, or visit the WDFW website at https://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/regulations and continue to check for emergency regulations in the affected area. -WDFW-

Gregory

Gregory
PostSat Nov 09, 2019 4:59 am 
WDFW Fishing Rule Change: Salmon fishing to close in Marine Area 10, part of Marine Area 13, the Green River, and Minter and Kennedy creeks Inbox x WDFW Public Affairs <do.not.reply@dfw.wa.gov> Unsubscribe Nov 8, 2019, 5:24 PM (10 hours ago) to me WDFW FISHING RULE CHANGE Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife 600 Capitol Way North, Olympia, WA 98501-1091 https://wdfw.wa.gov/ November 8, 2019 Salmon fishing to close in Marine Area 10, part of Marine Area 13, the Green River, and Minter and Kennedy creeks Action: Closes salmon fishing in areas listed, except in Marine Area 13 EAST of a line from the southernmost point of Devil’s Head to the eastern boundary of Tolmie State Park, where salmon fishing remains open, all chum must be released in addition to wild Chinook and wild coho. Effective date: Nov. 12, 2019, until further notice. Species affected: Salmon. Locations: Marine Area 10 (Seattle/Bremerton Area). Marine Area 13 (South Puget Sound) waters EAST of a line from the southernmost point of Devil’s Head (at the southern end of Key Peninsula) to the eastern boundary of Tolmie State Park. Marine Area 13 (South Puget Sound) waters WEST of a line from the southernmost point of Devil’s Head (at the southern end of Key Peninsula) to the eastern boundary of Tolmie State Park. (This includes Case Inlet, Henderson Inlet, Budd Inlet, Eld Inlet, Totten Inlet, Hammersly Inlet, and Oakland Bay.) The Green (Duwamish) River, and Kennedy and Minter Creeks. Reason for action: In-season information indicates lower than expected returns of chum salmon to south Puget Sound waters. WDFW is implementing this rule to meet chum salmon conservation and escapement objectives. Additional information: Year-round fishing piers (as listed in the Washington Sport Fishing Rules pamphlet) are excepted from this rule change and remain open as listed. Salmon fishing remains open in the eastern portion of Marine Area 13, east of a line from the southernmost point of Devil’s Head (at the southern end of Key Peninsula) to the eastern boundary of Tolmie State Park, as part of the 2 salmon daily limit. Chinook-min. size 22”. Other salmon species no min. size. Release all wild Chinook, wild coho, and chum. View a map of the area at https://wdfw.wa.gov/sites/default/files/2019-11/marine_-_area13_11-8-19.pdf Please see the 2019-20 Washington Sport Fishing Rules pamphlet for additional rules or visit the WDFW website at https://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/regulations. Information contact: David Stormer, Puget Sound recreational salmon manager, 360-902-0058; or Mark Baltzell, Puget Sound salmon manager, 360-902-2807 Fishers must have a current Washington fishing license, appropriate to the fishery. Check the WDFW "Fishing in Washington" rules pamphlet for details on fishing seasons and regulations. Fishing rules are subject to change. Check the WDFW Fishing hotline for the latest rule information at (360) 902-2500, press 2 for recreational rules. For the Shellfish Rule Change hotline call (360)796-3215 or toll free 1-866-880-5431. Persons with disabilities who need to receive this information in an alternative format or who need reasonable accommodations to participate in WDFW-sponsored public meetings or other activities may contact Dolores Noyes by phone (360-902-2349), TTY (360-902-2207), or email (dolores.noyes@dfw.wa.gov). For more information, see https://wdfw.wa.gov/accessibility. This message has been sent to the WDFW All Information mailing list. Visit the Emergency Fishing Rule Website at: https://fortress.wa.gov/dfw/erules/efishrules/ To UNSUBSCRIBE from this mailing list: https://wdfw.wa.gov/about/lists/unsubscribe ... [Message clipped] View entire message

Gregory

Gregory
PostSat Nov 09, 2019 5:07 am 
"After consideration of all the data and advisor’s input, the Department will be issuing emergency regulations to close both the commercial and recreational fisheries in Willapa Bay. Commercial salmon fisheries scheduled to begin on Monday, November 11th will be closed until further notice. Because we were delayed in getting these rules through the authorization process today, the emergency regulation closing recreational fisheries in Willapa Bay will be forthcoming early next week. "