Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Joe Biden

Joe Biden
PostSun Nov 03, 2019 6:42 am 
Parked Out wrote:
Dante wrote:
Haven't tried it yet, but: https://www.nextmilemeals.com/
Just looked at the chicken & broccoli, $14 for 540 calories, ouch.
Hiked with only these meals this year. They well justify the price. I actually felt full after eating one of these. Usually a mountain house the same size, half the price, leaves me hungry. I actually didn’t find one I didn’t like.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Parked Out

Parked Out
PostSun Nov 03, 2019 7:50 pm 
ImTheScientist wrote:
Parked Out wrote:
Dante wrote:
Haven't tried it yet, but: https://www.nextmilemeals.com/
Just looked at the chicken & broccoli, $14 for 540 calories, ouch.
Hiked with only these meals this year. They well justify the price. I actually felt full after eating one of these. Usually a mountain house the same size, half the price, leaves me hungry. I actually didn’t find one I didn’t like.
That's good to know. In the grand scheme of what we typically spend on a backpacking trip, a few more bucks for a good meal isn't a big deal. Still haven't received any Carnivore Bars from my Kickstarter donation. Apparently they've had some setbacks... I bought Ted Naiman's book, "The P:E Diet" yesterday. Most of the material has been available on his Twitter feed for awhile. The general idea is that you should target protein in your diet and limit energy, in the form of either fat or carbohydrates, to achieve/maintain a healthy weight. Seems to be working pretty well for me, losing weight without much exercise or hunger. https://www.amazon.com/PE-Diet-Leverage-biology-achieve-ebook/dp/B07ZC8XBGG

John
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Nov 03, 2019 10:04 pm 
FWIW: I've lost 40+lbs in the last 16 months on the "eat less diet". Low carb diets are useful as fat and protein take longer to digest than carbohydrates -- so you get a longer period of time after a meal before experiencing the sensation of hunger. For me the most helpful thing was getting to the point where I adjusted to the concept that hunger is a feeling that doesn't require action and allowed myself to experience it.

Parked Out

Parked Out
PostSun Nov 03, 2019 10:41 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
FWIW: I've lost 40+lbs in the last 16 months on the "eat less diet". Low carb diets are useful as fat and protein take longer to digest than carbohydrates -- so you get a longer period of time after a meal before experiencing the sensation of hunger. For me the most helpful thing was getting to the point where I adjusted to the concept that hunger is a feeling that doesn't require action and allowed myself to experience it.
40lbs is huge - congrats!

John
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Nov 08, 2019 11:47 am 
Good one Randy. Id like to be able to do that.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostFri Nov 08, 2019 12:30 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
For me the most helpful thing was getting to the point where I adjusted to the concept that hunger is a feeling that doesn't require action and allowed myself to experience it.
The next step is to realize that food is the fuel needed to do a hard days work, not the reward for doing said hard days work. Keep the whole food concept in its proper perspective to maintain healthy body mass.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostSat Nov 09, 2019 1:06 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
...For me the most helpful thing was getting to the point where I adjusted to the concept that hunger is a feeling that doesn't require action and allowed myself to experience it.
Excellent point -- I'm working on this one myself. Also good advice:
coldrain108 wrote:
The next step is to realize that food is the fuel needed to do a hard days work, not the reward for doing said hard days work.
I've all too often "rewarded" myself with beer & nachos after a hard hike...

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostSun Nov 10, 2019 8:07 pm 
Eat big, work bigger. That the deal here