Forum Index > Food & Grub > Trader Joes Waxed Cotton Food Wrap
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Jan 09, 2020 12:08 pm 
Has anyone here tried Trader Joes Waxed Cotton Food Wrap? We saw this yesterday in their "New Items" display and it made me curious. Obviously it isn't suitable for everything, but something tells me that it may have some adavantages over plastic food wrap (other than its not being plastic.) Thoughts? Opinions? Observations?

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
neek

neek
PostThu Jan 09, 2020 12:47 pm 
We use this stuff, probably wasn't from TJ but looks about the same. It holds up surprisingly well (wax doesn't flake off or anything) and after a few years hasn't developed any bad odors or scary colors.

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostFri Jan 10, 2020 8:22 pm 
neek wrote:
after a few years hasn't developed any bad odors or scary colors
The beeswax has natural antibacterial, antimicrobial, ant- etc. properties.

Tomorrow's not promised to anyone, so be bold, scare yourself, attempt something with no guarantee of success. You'll be amazed at what you can achieve. -Olive McGloin
Snuffy

Snuffy
PostFri Jan 17, 2020 10:42 pm 
I've been using beeswax cloths for awhile, pretty handy. Works good for day hiking, things like sliced apples, cookies, trail mix, etc. I use it mostly for covering things in the fridge, though, due to weight. Washing can be a bit tricky, especially for things that stick or leave residue. You can't use hot water or it melts the wax. More like a lukewarm, sudsy, soft touch. If what you put in it won't come off easily, they aren't so good.

You don't find yourself standing at the top of a mountain without having started out in the valley.
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostWed Jan 29, 2020 12:25 am 
I have used similar and have not found it durable. User error? Not sure, but I have used a few different brands with similar results so I gave up on the stuff. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostSat Oct 31, 2020 10:52 pm 
I bought the ones from TJs a few years ago. They were really thick, and they actually don't mold or stick very well to the bowl or plate. I bought some others recently from Whole Foods - they are much thinner and work much better. TJs were cheaper, but didn't do the job for me. I don't know if they've changed their style since I bought them, but that's my experience.

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com