Forum Index > Food & Grub > Best dehydrated trail meals
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Sep 17, 2019 1:51 pm 
It's probably the MSG in Cheez-its that transforms it. I know that whenever I eat something with MSG (or synthetic MSG) I can't stop eating. Give me a bag of Snyder's of Hanover Hot Buffalo Pretzel Pieces and I'll devour it. Fortunately I'm not sensitive otherwise. My wife gets really bad migraines from MSG.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostTue Sep 17, 2019 5:22 pm 
Tom wrote:
It's probably the MSG in Cheez-its that transforms it.
Either that or it's my good ol' raccoon gut sensibilities, lol. The worst thing I ever choked down was a dry packet of Hammer Perpetuem in the mouth first as I thought I'd just wash it down with water second. What actually happened was I inhaled some and then had to try to not cough it all out or breathe more in, then I managed to get the water in there and it turned into a sticky doughy powdery mass by turns that was extremely hard to swallow. As I was working on it a ride partner was looking at me with growing alarm and finally asked "what are you eating?" I held up a finger while I worked the awful concoction around in my mouth and down my throat for another 20 seconds or so as his and another ride partner's eyes steadily widened, and I finally got enough down my gullet that I could deadpan out the side of my mouth: "A$$". The reaction from all present at that moment was 100% worth the horror of getting there, lol.

~Mom jeans on wheels
Downhill

Downhill
PostWed Sep 18, 2019 1:45 pm 
My go-to dried meal is a homemade concoction. I take a packet of Top Ramen (or 2) and throw away the spices that come with. I pre-mix a bag of spices and dried cheese at home, e.g. garlic powder, dried onion flakes, dried lemon peel, salt, pepper, Italian spices, or Mexican-style (cumin, chili powder, cilantro..) and dried cheese like grated parmesan, asiago, etc. A quick water boil, pour everything together with your favorite protein (tuna in a bag, smoked salmon, salami, dehydrated beans, or optimally Freshly-caught Trout!) - steep for a bit and you're good to go. Tasty, ulta-light and dirt cheap.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSat Jan 11, 2020 1:19 am 
Back in December Packit Gourmet had a deal of 20% bonus on $50 and $100 gift cards. So I spent $150 but got $180 in gift cards. Then they sent me a 10% off discount code. So I ordered $206 in food, cost was $186, cards covered it except $6, no tax, free shipping on orders of $150 or more. I scored 9 dinners, 8 lunches and 10 breakfasts, plus 10 ounces of their fabulous freeze dried chicken. Including some taco shells that I get at Trader Joes, and a few sundry add-ons, this would be enough food for a two week trip to the Winds. With a lot of extra chicken left over, it rehydrates to triple the weight. I know the number of items is less than my estimates, but several of their meals are really enough for two. Pasta Bolgnese, State Fair chili, and the cottage pie are more than one person would normally eat. And all are delicious. The only meal they make that I don’t like is the Dottie’s chicken and dumplings. Somehow it is salty and bland at the same time, with gummy noodles as dumplings. SKU Item Name Item Price Qty Total MET0002-B Chicken - White Meat Options: Size: 10 oz ($39.99) $39.99 1 $39.99 DRY0020-4 OvaEasy Whole Eggs Options: Size: 4.5 oz ($12.99) $12.99 1 $12.99 BRK0005-1S Diner Deluxe Eggs with Sausage Options: Add Salsa: None $8.99 3 $26.97 LCH0002-11 Cajun Ranch Chicken Salad Options: Dietary Preference: None $8.99 2 $17.98 LCH0004-1 Texas Mesquite Chicken Salad Options: Dietary Preference: None $8.99 2 $17.98 DNR0016-1 Austintacious Tortilla Soup $9.99 2 $19.98 DNR0002-1B Pasta Beef Bolognese $9.99 3 $29.97 DNR0006-1 Shepherd's Cottage Pie $10.49 2 $20.98 DNR0005-1 Texas State Fair Chili $9.99 2 $19.98 Subtotal: $206.82 Coupon saving (EATOUTSIDE): $20.70 Discounted Subtotal: $186.12 Shipping Cost: $0.00 Paid by GC: $180.00 Total: $6.12 Applied Gift Certificates Gift Certificate ID Gift Certificate Value 109F7xxxxxxxxxxxxx $50.00 F6C0Cxxxxxxxxxxxx. $100.00 672A1xxxxxxxxxxxxx. $20.00 D5C57xxxxxxxxxxxxx. $10.00 Thank you for shopping with Packit Gourmet! ~Trail Food Beyond Your Wilderness Expectations~ Packit Gourmet Phone: 1.888.210.4959 Fax: 512.707.0795 URL: www.PackitGourmet.com

forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostSun Jan 12, 2020 11:16 am 
ya packit gourmet has dotties chicken n dumplings....add to ramen and it makes a super freaky good meal...add hawaiin sweet rolls... rei is now selling some gourmet foods...13$ I will get the name some veggies and chicken,with curry, pineapple....BEST MEAL I HAVE EVER HAD. there is another currie meal there thats too spicy...look for the pineapple juice thingy.. On everett mall way the large outdoor store( not joes but?).... is selling a pasta meal that is killer...not mountain house but right next too it... HONEYVILLE is where I order honey powder..but they now have Meals!!!...bbq beef and rice I think and IT'S FREAKY GOOD...also I ordered pasta I think and its great also... I'LL LOOK THROUGH THE few meals I have left and get some actual brand name's... EDIT...ok so the rei meals are WILD ZORA...not the "good to go" curry one that is way to spicy..although good to go has some other ones worth trying the SPORTSMAN'S WAREHOUSE ON EVERETT MALL WAY....BLACK LABLE bagged meals..not sure name will look next time there... there are rei meals in a black bag called "O-MEALS" THAT LOOK SIMILAR AND COULD BE GOOD ALLSO....

forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostSun Jan 12, 2020 11:28 am 
waterman made this meal once....really great Chinese style meal... "instant" 3minute...brown rice...add good beef bouillon paste... dehydrated veggies...packitgourmet chicken....bring a small bottle of good soy sauce... packet's CHILI is great but you have to cook in the pot for a few extra minutes...pour over corn chips and add that 2yr.aged whit cheddar cheese from costco...mmmmmm!!!! THE CHEESE lasts 4 days on the trail...

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSun Jan 12, 2020 1:56 pm 
Wild Zora was Paleo To Go, the son/mom sold the company to friends of the moms smile.gif Great people, really nice.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostTue Jan 14, 2020 5:39 pm 
Packit Gourmet is also budget friendly. Had I bought only dinners, split evenly between the $9 and the $10 entrees, I could have had 22 dinners for a total outlay of $159, based on a menu price of $209, minus the discounts I got for buying the gift cards and the 10% off everything code. No tax, free shipping. That comes out to $7 per meal. So REI or similar would have to charge $6.30 plus tax to equal that. I really like the new packaging, should make packing things efficiently much easier. The packing peanuts in the shipping box are made from corn starch, just put them into yard waste or composting bin.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostTue Jan 14, 2020 7:53 pm 
The packaging is def a lot better than the older version. It is a lot shorter for one....

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork
Food truck
PostSat Jan 25, 2020 9:45 pm 
This isn’t a dehydrated meal, but for my first night on a multi day trip I like miso soup base with frozen meatballs from TJ’s some fresh broccoli, mushrooms, garlic and a few fast cool noodles. Yum!

When I grow up I wanna play.
JustArt
Arthur M. Yates

JustArt
Arthur M. Yates
PostSun Jan 26, 2020 1:42 pm 
I gues over the years I have used most of the FD meals mentioned. I especially recommend Packit Gourmet, but I would also recommend campchow.org. It is real food, prepared in the kitchen at Trail Center Lodge, Grand Marias, MN. They have a large choice of food available. Check them out.

Rev. Arthur M. yates General Evangelist https://ayatesministries.com
InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostMon Mar 02, 2020 1:56 pm 
‘I think,’ said Christopher Robin, ‘that we ought to eat all our Provisions now, so we shan’t have so much to carry.’ –A.A. MILNE, Winnie-the-Pooh There are so many variations of meals with a base of minute rice, Idahoan potatoes, pasta, ramen or bread stuffing that it's easy to make your own meals. Add Protein - Precooked Tuna, Salmon, Chicken in foil packets; jerky, nuts, salami, or summer sausage, powdered eggs. Dried Vegetables - Corn, peas, carrots, sun dried tomatoes, Knorr Package, etc. Flavoring - Curry, bouillon, garlic powder, onion flakes, basil, oregano et al. Parmesan Cheese stays good for quite a while. Each night each pre-mixed in a large zip lock. I normally freeze my first nights dinner, to have extra options.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostThu Mar 26, 2020 5:09 pm 
OK so another must re order is honeyvill foods ..their pulled pork and rice is amazing...I usually get their honeypowder..they started Making meals and that is one of the best I ever have eatin

wakerobin

wakerobin
PostTue Jun 23, 2020 3:16 pm 
https://www.backpackingchef.com/corn-bark.html Corn Bark. Sounds gross. It's so good. Website has veggie and carni versions. We camped for three weeks in Norway last summer, I packed (yes, flew across the world with) a whole bunch of Thai Kitchen instant rice noodles, peanut butter powder, dried coconut, and other flavorings to add to whatever fresh veg we could buy locally. I even like the spice packets in the rice noodles.

Between the silence of the mountains and the crashing of the sea...
forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostSat Jul 04, 2020 8:25 pm 
HONEYVILLE....bbq beef n rice Or they Hav chicken pasta cream sauce.. 13$ but with bread...2 serving sizes. And can someone comment on the Chix.pad thai (mtn.house?)...or the common brand sole at rei?