Forum Index > Support & Feedback > Posting terms
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wiki summary

wiki summary
PostThu Sep 03, 2020 2:43 pm 
UPDATED TERMS (9/3/2020) It is disheartening to see this site transform from what was once a positive, fun, spirit filled community to one more often than not dominated by contentious discussion and negativity. In light of this we are going to implement a stricter posting standard. Call it the family rule. Treat this community as you would your family. Give others the benefit of the doubt. Be constructive if raising a valid criticism. Check your negativity at the door. If you have an issue with something in a trip report send a private message intead of calling someone out publicly. Treat others as you would like to be treated. If you just come here to argue, please don't. The bar on the internet may be low, but it really isn't hard to be nice. If you bring negativity to the forum you will be asked to leave. This site won't be going away any time soon, but we can do better. Thanks to the all who have stuck around through the thick and thin and made this site the valued resource it is today, and for many years to come. I will be adding a pop up prompt such that posting will be restricted until these updated terms are read and agreed to.

Wiki summmary last edited by Tom on Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:36 pm (this post can be edited by any member)
Back to top Reply to topic
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Jan 07, 2020 8:27 pm 
up.gif it is a hiking website not a argument website. cool.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Jan 08, 2020 5:34 pm 
Yeah, that's why you *choose* to stop in to arguments and respond. It's interesting to see the gaping chasm between pie hole noises... and actions. Takes two, and yet only one of us takes responsibility for our presence in an argument.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Jan 08, 2020 7:27 pm 
The point of this thread 5 years ago waa to ask folks to think about their contribution to this site before posting. I suppose it comes down to what is value added for the forum to what degree. My personal perspective is that locking certain threads is a net positive value added. For example when people start debating whether the middle fork road closure is white male privilege.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostWed Jan 08, 2020 7:57 pm 
Tom wrote:
For example when people start debating whether the middle fork road closure is white male privilege.
up.gif Yeah, I thought that one pushed the terms of use envelope a little too far. What happened the last time gender politics reared its head around here was reason aplenty to lock that thread. An excerpt from the registration terms thread bears repeating:
Quote:
NWHikers should be a respite from politics and divisive topics in favor of those that foster and build community. If it's divisive or highly contentious and not outdoor related it's pseudo-politics and off limits at NWHikers. You agree to check such discussions at the door.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostWed Jan 08, 2020 8:49 pm 
I don't like nonproductive arguing, and stupid, poorly written, and illogical posts. That said, debates on issues and values shaped by a love of hiking is very interesting for me. I often just read and would strongly pefer respectful debate without rancor or personal attacks. Our Wilderness (my preference to capitalize) is a completely human construct dependant upon our laws and values. How much should we protect it, fund it, restrict it are all important questions and I think the views discussed here are important. My preference would be to allow debate related to all the things that have recently been blocked. It's ironic that some of the most active debaters, support locking threads.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Jan 09, 2020 12:18 pm 
Tom, in the first post of this thread wrote:
This site has always been lightly moderated thanks to all of you. We'd really like to keep it that way so before hitting the reply or submit button I would like to ask everyone to think about whether their contribution adds value to this site. Is it positive? Is it helpful? Will it make people want to return to this site and be part of this community? Nothing wrong with healthy debate but let's keep it civil, refrain from personal attacks, and remember this site is what you choose to make it. Thank you!
Bernardo, the threads recently locked did not remain within the parameters of what Tom outlined in the first post of this thread. I could invest a lot of time detailing particular instances, but I have other things to do. In short, several discussions became uncivil, not constructive, not positive, and not helpful, and therefore did not "add value" to the site, but served more to the detriment of the site overall. Moreover, as Malachai Constant pointed out, it is, in the end, a hiking website, not an argument website. There is no shortage of venues on the internet for people who want to argue simply for the sake of argument. As always, just my lousy two cents. wink.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostThu Jan 16, 2020 5:20 pm 
Man, I just wrote a great post in the just locked thread that was going to resolve the whole argument, but now y'all ain't gonna get to see it!

Bernardo

Bernardo
PostThu Jan 16, 2020 6:25 pm 
I actually did type up a post that was rejected due to the locking, but I was just kidding as to its importance. I'm in the middle. Hiking content should be the priority. Civil conversations on vaguely related topics are also entertaining and provide an outlet for lonely cabinbound hikers.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Jan 16, 2020 6:26 pm 
Thanks. I didn't see that thread had been locked. But good points. Easiest solution is for folks to just de-escalate so the mods don't have to make that call.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Jan 16, 2020 7:00 pm 
Bernardo wrote:
I actually did type up a post that was rejected due to the locking, but I was just kidding as to its importance. I'm in the middle. Hiking content should be the priority. Civil conversations on vaguely related topics are also entertaining and provide an outlet for lonely cabinbound hikers.
I already posted a great and perfect post in the thread, but it was seemingly ignored, and trust me, it was a perfect post!

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Jan 16, 2020 7:38 pm 
Thanks Damian! up.gif Okay so how long before somebody initiates a thread complaining about Girl Scout Cookie Sale? I am waiting! clown.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Sep 03, 2020 2:44 pm 
Updated terms 9/3/2020. See wiki post at top.

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostFri Sep 04, 2020 9:58 am 
Thank you Tom, I have also noticed an uptick in animosity lately. The pandemic is getting to people I think.