Jeff
PostSun Jan 27, 2019 1:17 pm 

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Jan 27, 2019 1:46 pm 
The common corridor is part of the special use permit for the Summit Nordic center. Signage is hard to find anymore as the summit has gotten lazy about putting them up. The common corridor follows the summit groomed xc trail from near the "iron horse" trail to "windy pass" To use it ski the state groomed xc trail from the Hyak snow park to about a 1/2 mile before the cold creek bridge. Look for blue diamonds marking the trail on the right. Climb steeply through the woods following blue diamonds until you intersect the summit nordic center "cold creek" groomed trail. Follow that to "windy pass" the summit nordic center staff should not be checking for tickets on that section. Beyond "windy pass" the traditional route to Silver Peak is to climb directly west up the clearcuts, through a short section of forest to enter the north east basin of silver. IME Ticket checking on the summit nordic center trails is most common around "grand junction" (I typically have an alpine seasons pass, which also good for the nordic trails.)

garyw
Occasional Member

garyw
Occasional Member
PostSun Jan 27, 2019 6:22 pm 
RandyHiker is basically correct. The Common Corridor ends at the Nordic Pass Trail just short of Windy Pass. I helped develop the Nordic Pass Trail and was monitoring the Forest Service documents at the time the Common Corridor was adopted. The Common Corridor provides the public access to Nordic Pass and Silver Peak without requiring a trail pass from the ski area. The Common Corridor was documented in the Environmental Assessment for the Hyak/SkiAcres Master Plan Revision and Trail Construction, November 1991 in the Mitigation part of Section III E. Recreation, Page 39.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Jan 27, 2019 10:41 pm 
Here is where the route leaves the "iron horse" to head up the woods. https://www.gaiagps.com/public/mhMGCx7beKWKhBOcBsoXusIn And here is where it joins the nordic center "cold creek" groomed xc trail / road 9070 https://www.gaiagps.com/public/fUeMEJsroOyeEvm7zTya4AD8

ChinookPass

ChinookPass
PostMon Jan 28, 2019 11:44 am 
Thanks for the info, RandyHiker!

daugman

daugman
PostThu Jan 30, 2020 2:52 pm 
Regarding the Nordic Pass trail and traffic on it. I know the trail, and love it. (thanks gary, jim etc). Here's the question, do you want more traffic (to help in stomping a bit of a trail, but also to keep its open access alive? I've tried to correct the WTA info, but now it strikes me while i want others to break trail for me, i'm not sure how many people you really want on this. thoughts?

garyw
Occasional Member

garyw
Occasional Member
PostThu Jan 30, 2020 10:14 pm 
I think it is a use-it-or-lose-it situation. So, I'm all for encouraging the use of the Common Corridor and the Nordic Pass Trail. I'm frustrated with WTA. I tried correcting the information on the Nordic Pass Trail and they ignored my submission. They didn't use it or try to contact me. I sent a message asking why and was ignored again.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Jan 30, 2020 10:38 pm 
Breaking track is part of the joy of ski touring.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostFri Jan 31, 2020 11:35 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
Breaking track is part of the joy of ski touring.
wub.gif

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Jan 31, 2020 11:42 am 
Only problem with the common corridor is you either have to by a Nordic Pass or buy a Snopark AND grooming sticker for $80 to access it. huh.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Jan 31, 2020 12:27 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
Only problem with the common corridor is you either have to by a Nordic Pass or buy a Snopark AND grooming sticker for $80 to access it. huh.gif
Dirt bags are known to park in the lower Summit East parking lot and walk over to the P2C trail.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostFri Jan 31, 2020 1:37 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
Dirt bags are known to park in the lower Summit East parking lot and walk over to the P2C trail.
Easier said than done on some weekend days, though that's likely also true of the Hyak sno-park...

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Jan 31, 2020 1:42 pm 
In addition that is also the easiest portion for Nordic patrol to police especially where there is a cliff on the right side side and a drop off on the left before you get to the intersection.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Jan 31, 2020 4:26 pm 
joker wrote:
RandyHiker wrote:
Easier said than done on some weekend days, though that's likely also true of the Hyak sno-park...
On a non-Pineapple express weekend, I find it is best to arrive before 8:30 if you hope to find decent parking spot. The Summit has a huge overflow parking lot across HWY-906 from the Silver Fir Lodge and they run shuttle buses in a loop between all the base areas. But if you were going to park at Silver Fir -- the "Nordic Pass" trail marked with blue diamonds is easily and legally accessed from the Silver Fir lodge. Just uphill from the lodge on climbers left is the "East to Central Crossover" trail you can head up that maybe 100 yards before seeing a blue diamond marked trail heading up on climbers right. This route zigzags up through the forest, crosses the powerlines and the "Central to West" crossover trail and skis over or around Hyak lake. Here is a GPX of partial tour I did to Nordic Pass a few years ago (I turned around approaching Frog lake as this was a "crack of noon" tour) http://www.hillmap.com/m/ag1zfmhpbGxtYXAtaGRychULEghTYXZlZE1hcBiAgICOwbCoCgw Also on this route -- I skied back via "Grand Junction" and the "White Rabbit" trail -- I had an alpine season's pass, so no big deal. But non-passholders would be better off retracing their ascent route or avoiding the Grand Junction area and using "Creek Run" and the "East to West" crossover trail to return to the Silver Fir Lodge
ETA: It's possible to climb the Nordic Pass trail on waxless cross country skis using half-herringbone, sidestepping and other techniques. Most folks find the trail steep enough that until one has crossed "Outer Loop" past Hyak Lake that using climbing skins is more pleasant.

daugman

daugman
PostSat Jul 23, 2022 11:42 am 
Yesterday i used (legal) summer road up to Grand Junction and hiked the Nordic Pass route both up to the Snotel Gauge and then down to Windy Pass. In summer there is a very clear old roadway (I suspect used for Snotel repairs) and its very obvious. Descending down to Windy pass was hard- the trail at foot level was obvious but the shrubs and small trees really intrude across the trail (Hint, others please use this). Distance from Grand Junction to Nordic Pass was 2 miles, another 3. down to Windy pass Route on Caltopo