Forum Index > Gear Talk > Land's End Gore-Tex jacket
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Stomp
Terminally Indolent

Stomp
Terminally Indolent
PostFri Nov 08, 2002 5:36 am 
I've been buying practically all of my clothes from Land's End for years now. (Two identical pairs of pants and assorted colors of one style of T-shirt. Keen fashion sense, you know. cool.gif ) Their products seem to be uniformly high quality, and their service is super. So when it came time to finally buy a simple waterproof breathable shell, I jumped like a hungry mantid at their Gore-Tex jacket. No regrets. It's a basic shell, just Gore fabric on the outside and a loose nylon mesh lining inside (down to the waist, at least), an adjustable hood just large enough to fit over my bike helmet, zippered outside pockets, velcro storm flap, etc. No pit zips, though my big sweaty self hasn't had problems with ventilation. It does pack neatly into an internal zipper pocket, which still causes me to squeal with glee. Here's a nice long URL for you: http://www.landsend.com/cd/fp/prod/0,1467,1_2_1931_65_69239_47686_5:view=59,00.html The best part, though, is that my Men's tall extra large (BIG) weighs 20.8 oz, and cost $106. Non-freakishly-tall people will spend $98. That aint no sale price, that's every day. They also have a hoodless Gore-Tex "club jacket" for $79. Now I need to get me some of them thar Gore-Tex pants, also $98.

# Stomp (fifty score key-tapping monkeys)
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Nov 08, 2002 11:26 am 
That's a great price on a gore tex jacket but I must confess my 3 layer gore tex jacket has stayed in the closet ever since I got my Marmot Precip. The precip weighs a scant 12 ounces and is just as waterproof and breathable as my (heavy) gore-tex jacket. List price is $99, but campmor sells it for $80. Not sure about tall sizes though. Of course, if I were a true minimalist I'd save the parka ounces and carry a sil-nylon poncho that doubles as a rainfly instead.

-lol-

-lol-
PostFri Nov 08, 2002 12:04 pm