Forum Index > Food & Grub > Beet and Red Pepper Salad Recipe
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Feb 29, 2020 7:35 pm 
Beet and Red Pepper Salad Recipe I saw this in the deli up at Safeway and it looked interesting, so I asked the young lady behind the counter for the recipe. She printed out a label which showed a list of ingredients, which of course included things the names of which are unpronounceable and that I would never use or have in my kitchen cupboards. I figured I could do fairly well just doing a bit of improvisation. For a first attempt, it didn't turn out too bad: 4 medium-size beets, boiled and sliced 1 large red bell pepper, sliced into small pieces 1 medium sized shallot, chopped 1 large navel orange Squeeze the juice from the orange and pour into saucepan. Bring to boil. Turn heat off and add: 1 tsp balsamic vinegar 1 tsp red wine vinegar 1 tsp white sugar 1 tbsp honey 1 tsp Dijon mustard dash ground turmeric 1/2 tsp salt 2 tbsp olive oil Bring heat back up and reduce mixture a bit. Allow to cool thoroughly. Mix beets, peppers, shallot, and dressing mix together. Cover and chill overnight. Serve
* I would have added about 1/4 tsp of ground ginger, but I'm all out. It's possible that sweet onion might work well with this, but shallot is what I had here. (Refer to Peg Bracken on that one. ) wink.gif <edit 02/29/20 20:20 PST> We just finished dinner. If I was going to do this again, I would definitely use sweet onion (like a Walla-Walla or a Vidalia) instead of the shallot.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message