Forum Index > Food & Grub > Braised Lamb Shank with Couscous Recipe
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Mar 07, 2020 10:57 pm 
Braised Lamb Shank with Couscous Recipe Really quite simple. It just takes a long time to cook. 2 - lamb shanks 10-12 fat cloves garlic minced fine 1 - small sweet onion minced fine giant carrots small potatoes a little bit of rosemary a tiny bit of thyme salt pepper olive oil chicken stock
Lamb Shank with Couscous Ingredients
Lamb Shank with Couscous Ingredients
Liberally salt the lamb shanks. In a HOT large pot, sear the lamb shanks on all sides in a little olive oil Remove from pan
Lamb Shanks seared
Lamb Shanks seared
In a large pot, saute the onion, garlic, rosemary, thyme, and pepper until the onion is soft and has a bit of color on it. Add the chicken stock and the lamb shanks. Add a lot of water to the pot. Bring to full boil, then reduce heat and allow to simmer for about 3 hours. Add the carrot and potato, continue cooking until carrot and potato are done. Remove lamb, carrot, and potato from pot, bring remaining liquid to boil and reduce to a thick sauce. Serve over couscous.
Lamb Shanks with Couscous
Lamb Shanks with Couscous
wink.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RichP

RichP
PostSun Mar 08, 2020 11:06 am 
Looks good. I'll try it. smile.gif

Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork
Food truck
PostSun Mar 08, 2020 11:33 am 
Looks good, when’s dinner?

When I grow up I wanna play.
neek

neek
PostSun Mar 08, 2020 12:05 pm 
Ski wrote:
In a HOT large pot, sear the lamb shanks on all sides in a little olive oil
don't let that oil smoke or you'll get off flavors
Ski wrote:
In a large pot, saute the onion, garlic, rosemary, thyme, and pepper until the onion is soft and has a bit of color on it.
i always add garlic+herbs in the last minute of the onion cooking...you don't find they're overdone this way?

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostWed Jun 24, 2020 7:02 pm 
neek wrote:
Ski wrote:
In a large pot, saute the onion, garlic, rosemary, thyme, and pepper until the onion is soft and has a bit of color on it.
i always add garlic+herbs in the last minute of the onion cooking...you don't find they're overdone this way?
Garlic has a tendency to burn which is why most recipes will have you sautee the onion for a couple minutes before adding the garlic. If you're working to carmelize the onion, definitely wait on adding the garlic; burnt garlic is nasty.

Tomorrow's not promised to anyone, so be bold, scare yourself, attempt something with no guarantee of success. You'll be amazed at what you can achieve. -Olive McGloin
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Jun 24, 2020 7:40 pm 
Gwen wrote:
"...saute the onion for a couple minutes before adding the garlic..."
^ Yes. That's why I listed the ingredients in the order I did above. Obviously not clear enough. And yes, burnt garlic is nasty. I will be doing the lamb shanks probably Tuesday 06/30, and then a rack of lamb Wednesday 07/01. (Sunday will most likely be Wild Argentine Shrimp stir-fry, and Monday most likely wild halibut filet or wild salmon filet - yet to be determined - depends on what looks best at Northern Fish Saturday morning. Might opt for Penn Cove mussels and fettucine instead of the shrimp.) Stay tuned. wink.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."