Forum Index > Photography Talk > Superb service by Adobe
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
gb

gb
PostWed Mar 25, 2020 8:03 am 
I have been a pretty mediocre PP'er using really just IPHOTO. I also have Olympus Workspace but it seems too slow. All along I have had the subscription (not that expensive) to Adobe CC but although I played with Photoshop a few times and used a very old version years ago, it seemed too complicated to learn and use, so it sat. Although I mostly shoot jpegs as they are quite good from Olympus, I've saved the occasional RAW where I know more sophisticated PP'ing will get better results on shots that seem worthwhile - higher grade images. But with my newer Olympus body (EM-1 II), IPHOTO does not recognize the Olympus.ORF files. Workspace does...but it is pretty slow and may be little better than IPHOTO as far as PP goes. So I decided to update the software for my way out of date PS and LR. I tried installing the latest version and it partially installed and then spit out that it is not compatible with my OS. I contacted Adobe and a technician worked with me by screen sharing and basically set up my Mac with links to the most recent software compatible PS and LR programs as they downloaded and then installed and then verified that the PS actually worked. This whole process took a couple of hours. Excellent service!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostWed Mar 25, 2020 12:15 pm 
I'm interested in what you're communicating here but I (and likely others) are not 100% up on your "shorthand". Please translate: PP (photo processor??), PS, LR. Thanks!

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
neek

neek
PostWed Mar 25, 2020 1:18 pm 
PP = post processing or pixel peeping depending on context. Adobe Photoshop (PS) and Lightroom (LR) are commonly used software packages for digital photo processing. (Those of us who prefer open source might use GIMP and rawtherapee.) I listened to the (bad) advice early on and never saved RAW; now I always do. The information lost in jpeg compression isn't usually a big deal, but that which is lost in an 8-bit pixel depth when you start stretching curves around can be. Honestly though recent cameras usually give pretty good results that require little manipulation, so the extra bits might not matter so much anymore. Screen sharing is scary! But yes can be incredibly convenient.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostWed Mar 25, 2020 1:43 pm 
Thanks for the clarification. I switched to digital some years ago but haven't fully mastered my camera, mainly b/c I hate having to sit at the computer to go thru the manual completely. I have an old version of Photoshop (Pagemaker era) and probably the last non-cloud version on a Mac.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
pcg

pcg
PostWed Mar 25, 2020 7:41 pm 
All of the older non-subscription photo processing software from Adobe (PS and LR), as well as newer non-subscription stuff from others such as Affinity, can read DNG files. DNG is a non-proprietary format for RAW files. You can convert the proprietary RAW files from most cameras to DNG using Adobe DNG Converter, which is available as a free download from Adobe. Adobe constantly updates this with new file formats as they become available. Makes for a longer workflow, but solves the problem of how to read newer proprietary RAW formats in older (or newer such as Affinity Pro) non-subscription based photo processing software.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSat Jul 11, 2020 11:19 am 
neek wrote:
I listened to the (bad) advice early on and never saved RAW; now I always do. The information lost in jpeg compression isn't usually a big deal, but that which is lost in an 8-bit pixel depth when you start stretching curves around can be.
Pretty much exactly this. Plus when you get the white balance wrong. I have my SLR set to raw+jpeg mode. I use the jpegs 90% of the time because they're generally good enough even for large prints. But you never really know what's going to be a great shot (or a difficult one to work on) until it's already happened. And storage is cheap. I think of the file as a negative that needs to be developed, I've never posted anything that didn't go through Photoshop first. It can be very minor or extensive.