Forum Index > The Trading Post > Down bag wanted
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun May 17, 2020 6:26 pm 
A friend of mine is getting into backpacking, I sold him a pack and a tent and now he needs a bag. Something like the Marmot Helium I bought a few years back for $100 from Opus would be perfect. Price range of $75-$150 and he is of medium build-hot sleeper.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed May 20, 2020 5:55 pm 
I sent my friend a link to this bag and curious what you guys think of it? https://www.marmot.com/sawtooth-15-sleeping-bag-889169250736.html?mr%3areferralID=40967778-9afd-11ea-825a-1216eac5a087&utm_source=ne&utm_medium=paidscl&utm_campaign=ne_FB_retargeting_DPA&utm_content=DPA-NoButton_Memorial25Off_HP Also, how can they get a 15 degree bag with only 650 down fill?

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostWed May 20, 2020 8:04 pm 
Down bags are expensive. Used is probably your only option in that price range unless you find a killer clearance sale somewhere. That bag you posted above looks ok, but heavy for a down bag. The 650 fill power is less warmth for the weight, so they have to add more to get the 15 degree temperature rating making it heavier. A similar size 800, 850, or even 950 fill power bag would be 8-14oz lighter. If you want a super light down bag, you're going to have to pay for it. However something like the bag you found is a good value, especially if you're just starting out and not ready to invest a couple thousand dollars on all super ultralight gear. The REI Magma down bags are a really good value, but still way out of your price range you listed.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed May 20, 2020 8:55 pm 
Thanks. Plus he is in his early 20's, does physical work for a living, so carrying some weight should not be a problem for him.

forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostFri May 22, 2020 8:06 am 
Rei has a 2 lb synthetic bag for 120 to 140.. With the 20 percent off or sumpin.. Another guy I know is ordering a down bag from amazon for 110$...he can always weat a jacket and poly pro to sleep in...or cut the baffles and add e or 4 oz of down and Hav a good bag. The six moons designs tent is 135$ or just over 200$ for the better material 2lb...great tents...total for tent and a good bag is 300$ cash for newbiez

blendergasket

blendergasket
PostSat May 23, 2020 2:34 pm 
I have an REI Radiant 650 power 20 degree down bag I'd like to sell. It's the long version. I think it's from 2016 or so. It leaks a little down from the seams, but it still has a lot of life left in it and the 20 degree is IMHO a good versatile temp. I'll sell it for $50 + shipping, or we could meet somewhere and I could lay it 6 ft from your feet or throw it to you. I'm in the South Sound. PM me if you're interested.

"He who would understand the Book of Nature must walk its pages with his feet" ~Paracelsus