Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > New members/intro thread
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
veronika

veronika
PostSat Dec 15, 2018 7:58 pm 
Hello there... I am sort of a new member. I have been living in Florida for the past six years and am recently coming back to the Seattle area. Would love to meet up and go on some hikes... maybe get togethers, whatever! please feel free to PM me! chickenleg.gif

Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping I may not have anyone rocking my world right now but, I don't have anyone messing it up either.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Damian

Damian
PostMon Dec 17, 2018 3:36 pm 
Welcome back Veronica! Looking forward to your next trip report here smile.gif .

trailtoni

trailtoni
PostWed Jul 15, 2020 11:37 am 
I like to hike to lakes, cook backpacking food, go fishing, take pictures, and eat wild berries. I like gnarly old trees and I like to feel all the different rocks and see the plants and wildflowers. It's fun to find snow in July, which can only really be done in the mountains or in grandma's refrigerator. I'm from Minnesota and the mountains fill me with awe. Toni

dirtbaguette

dirtbaguette
PostThu Aug 27, 2020 6:46 pm 
Hi all! I’m new to posting here, although I will admit that I’ve been a lurker for a while. I love getting out every weekend and day off to conquer a new hike and take the occasional backpacking trip. I also enjoy my continuing education in mountaineering. My eventual goal is to someday summit Mts. Hood, Baker, Olympus, and Rainier. So far, I’m really lacking in the training and uphill shape department, so stay tuned on how all that is going. tongue.gif In the winter, I’m a ski patroller and an avid snowboarder. I love getting out on touring gear as well to enjoy safe low angle terrain—mostly since I don't have a lot of ski partners here in the PNW. Enjoying learning from everyone’s advice and trip reports on this forum!

gwc2u

gwc2u
PostWed Sep 16, 2020 3:42 pm 
Guess I'll do an introduction......if for no other reason than to get this page a bit more up to date. smile.gif I'm Gary & been hiking/backpacking since Boy Scouts, troop 326 Lake City Seattle. That would make it about 60 years now (scary). Lately what surprises me most about that is how little I've retained in 2 critical areas; first aid & use of compass.......just enough to get in trouble. Lakes for fishing was the interest for 3/4's of early years outdoors, getting up high, scrambling to non technical peaks came late enough to now it's getting difficult to make the required effort. Last extended backpack trip in the Oregon Wallowas 3 years ago. Most hiking remains in Stevens Pass area & Mt. Loop Highway. Commute traffic on evening returns has made Baker & N.Cascade Highway areas more attractive in recent years. What's more problematic for day hiking now days is you kinda want to be on a trail for at least as many hrs. as driving to the trail head took. The other big disappointing change for me is the practice of no campfires. The next generation I guess probably won't even miss what once was a major reason for overnight in the back country. Just discovered this forum & it's already been fun hrs. of vicarious enjoyment of what I used to be able to anticipate doing. But it's also a great motivator to continue participate in enjoyment of the great area we live in. Thanks to all of you who contribute to this community.

babylero

babylero
PostTue Dec 08, 2020 8:24 pm 
I'm Miles, I've been lurking on this site for about a year. Have been Hiking here in the PacNW for about the past 5 years. My first hike was Heliotrope Ridge, which I did in Vans slip ons with one bottle of water... These days I live in Tacoma and day hike and backpack whenever I can, with a strong affinity for the North Cascades and the Olympics. Each year my mileage surpasses the last. In 2021 I want to get more into scrambling and climbing and plan on taking some classes when that's an option.

Wrecknball
Don't complain

Wrecknball
Don't complain
PostSat Mar 06, 2021 9:40 pm 
I am so happy to be part of this group! I am here because like you all, I love the smell of the fresh mountain air, the sweat in my pits and the friction sores on my feet. In all seriousness though, I love the mountains, particularly the Olympic Mountains and my back yard. I have hiked a bunch out there. To name a few, Lake of the Angels, Mildred Lakes, Marmot Pass, Mt. Elinor,Mt Zion, Silver Lakes, Heather Park, Grand Valley to Grand Peak, Bogachiel River, High divide (Seven Lakes Basin), Royal Basin, Slab Camp Creek and Upper Gray Wold River, Upper Dungeness River, Tubal Cane Mine and Buckhorn, Mt. Townsend, Fallsview Canyon, Ranger Hole, Murhut Falls, Mount Walker, North Fork Skokomish River,Hansville Greenway, Mary E. Theletr Wetlands Nature Preserve, and my most favorite as of 2020- Goat Lake. What an amazing payoff at the top. Those are some of my favs and I'd love to find more hiking buddies to join me in 2021 as I veture out and about. If you are interested, let me know! smile.gif

I like green tea and whiskey
Bowregard

Bowregard
PostSat Aug 14, 2021 11:59 am 
Hello, I have been lurking here for a few years and only recently started posting. I love all the fantastic climbing TRs and photography. It can be a bit intimidating to those us of who don't climb or backpack much but I finally decided there might be something I could contribute so an introduction might be in order. I have lived in the PNW since the early 60's but back then "hiking" meant backpacking and the only reason to go was to find some lake with good fishing or swimming. Back then I was an athlete but for some reason 3 miles with a pack was torture and I never realized you could go "hiking" without overnight gear. Fast forward to 2012 when my daughters started hiking and it really opened a whole new world to me and my family. I started to enjoy the journey and simply watching their eyes as they approached a peak with a 360 view for the first time was special. Add in a few new friends that climb and/or hike and I was hooked. My wife and I mostly just day hike in the area with a few backpacking trips thrown in here and there but we try to get out as often as we can. As an engineer I tend to dabble in a lot of things without becoming expert at anything. Woodworking, remodeling, photography, computers, etc. My username and avatar is our hiking buddy Bowregard. Thanks for listening...

Anne Elk, puzzlr, zimmertr, Bernardo, Chief Joseph, bk, neek
Wake_and_Bait
I deserve no title

Wake_and_Bait
I deserve no title
PostWed Sep 01, 2021 3:29 pm 
Hello all, I hike near my property at Stevens Pass. Mainly off trail and near Mt. Lichtenburg, Martin creek valley area. I joined to learn more about the area. I have been hiking around stevens pass since the early 90’s. My favorite zone is windy ridge area, Wellington bowl, and Mt. Lichtenburg. Excited to learn more. -Jason

Treading hard
thewildcat
Life in Chacos

thewildcat
Life in Chacos
PostSun Mar 19, 2023 6:47 pm 
Is this thing working? Yeah, so some of you might recognise me and my sandals from elsewhere... "wildcat" apparently was already taken so I had to tack the "the" onto it. Anyways, here I am.

If no one arrives from the future to stop you, how bad an idea could it be? oregonhikers.org: wildcat

KascadeFlat
Cascade Dude
Like, just hike, man

Cascade Dude
Like, just hike, man
PostMon Jun 26, 2023 4:02 am 
Hello everybody and thanks for having me. I'm 66 year old, been married for 45 years, and liv a few miles north of Monroe, WA. Just this year, I have returned to hiking after a long absence due to illness and physical limitations. I had 20 heart attacks in June of 2019. I spent four years getting back into shape so I could get back out in the mountains. Last November, my health care team finally removed the last of my physical restrictions and I spent all winter in the gym getting into mountain shape. I got started in April but really took off in May. My focus on hiking this year is on improving my physical conditioning and stamina ... in the mountains rather than at the gym. Since May 23, I've been on 7 hikes, totaling 75 miles and 16,000 feet of elevation. My goal for mid-August is 150 miles and 27,000 feet. My goal for the end of the summer is 300 miles and 52,800 feet of elevation (10 miles). So far, I've hiked Lord Hill twice, Bridal Vail Falls twice, Lake Serene, Wallace Lake Loop, Jay Lake and the Wallace Lake Loop, Dingford Creek (failed to make for Hester Lake; got started too late), and Surprise Lake (stopped from going to Glacier Lake by snow). I tweaked my back, hip, knee and foot last week coming down from Wallace Falls but all seems well now, so I'm going hiking today. My target hikes now are in the 10-15 mile-range, with elevation in the 2,500-2,800 range. My next step up will keep the same distance but up the elevation to over 3,000. I hope to be able to do a 4,000 foot day hike by summer's end. Let's see ... oh, I'm signed up for six work days with the WTA over the next couple of months. Some of the trails I've been hiking need work and I figured I'd get involved helping with that. I don't have a lot of specific plans for my hikes. I tend to find them a few days beforehand and then go hike them. There are so many trails and wonderful places to see, it's not hard to find them. I fell in love with the Alpine Wilderness a couple of weeks go and am planning to do much more hiking up there when the snow backs off a bit. Well, the Sun will be coming up soon, so I'm going to catch a shower, eat my morning gruel, and head for Verlot and the Lake 22 Trail. It's another new trail for me. It looks like a good hike for checking out my right side and seeing if I've recovered from last week's tweaking as much as I think I have.

“Life is your art. An open, aware heart is your camera. A oneness with your world is your film. Your bright eyes and easy smile is your museum.” -- Ansel Adams

bccarlso, KascadeFlat, Anne Elk, RichP, awilsondc, NWtrax
idoru

idoru
PostWed Oct 04, 2023 2:45 pm 
Haven't ventured into this sub-forum since joining, but figure it might not be a bad idea to introduce myself. My name's Jake, I'm PNW born-and-raised, mid-30's, married, two kiddos aged 3 and 1. Grew up in the Everett/Mukilteo area, always wanted to do a bunch of hiking and camping as a kid, but circumstances never really allowed for much of that. Always had a ton of PNW pride when I was growing up, and that really solidified itself when I moved to Atlanta in my early 20's. Spent about six years there, chuckling and rolling my eyes internally anytime they talked about "mountains" in Georgia, ended up moving to the Bay Area for three years, and finally moved back to the PNW in the Portland area in 2021. Spending about a decade away from home only bolstered my love for the PNW and showed me just how easy it is to take the area's sheer beauty for granted and kinda just forget that it's there. So, I've spent the last two years getting reacquainted with the Cascades both in Oregon and Washington. I've spent next to no time in the Olympics, but intend to change that soon, and at some point further down the road I'd love to explore BC, the Wallowas, and everywhere else in Cascadia that's a bit further out from Western WA/OR - I can't help but feel like I've got a lot of ground to make up for waiting to start this until my 30's. Summits like St Helens/Adams are definitely in the cards at some point, but I think I'll be sticking with scramble-able summits rather than any proper climbing thanks to a stupid fear of heights that I can't seem to shake. I'm not in the best physical shape and have learned that I often set out for much loftier targets/hikes than I'm conditioned for, but still enjoy myself and have no problem admitting I've bit off more than I can chew and turning around if I need to (at least I'm likely to avoid the crowds even if I'm ruthlessly kicking my ass!). 'bout to spend the winter getting myself into better shape so I can get out to some loftier adventures next year. I will say, though, that I have dueling feelings about only recently taking up hiking in the PNW - on the one hand, I grew up here decades ago and feel like "an OG", as though the area's in my blood in spite of almost never exploring the backcountry, but on the other hand, moving back here I can't help but feel like just another transplant adding to the exploding hiking population. At any rate, thanks to this community, and the OregonHikers community as well, for being incredibly valuable resources for those of us who are just getting our feet wet. Cheers!

NWtrax, bccarlso, RichP, KascadeFlat
WoodsCraft

WoodsCraft
PostSun Feb 25, 2024 6:07 am 
Hello to all I stumbled across this site and thought I would sign up . I lived in the Willamette valley for several years and currently live in the central US. I loved my time camping , cycling in the Cascades. Even though I no longer live there I still love hiking and camping . Anyway nice to meet everyone and happy Sunday smile.gif

There is no graduation day in the school of the woods