Forum Index > Gear Talk > Backpack advice
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Lilen

Lilen
PostMon Jul 13, 2020 9:57 am 
hi all, for a terranova 1man tent, sleep mat, sleeping bag, possible small tarp…then all the usual light weight stove, torch, ti pot etc etc basically got everything but the backpack.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostMon Jul 13, 2020 10:14 am 
Lilen wrote:
basically got everything but the backpack.
I'm a Zpacks lover. Super light packs (sub 2lb) and a really functional carbon fiber frame - it actually works like a full featured backpack weighing 2 or 3X as much. I don't like to carry weight on my shoulders (old injury), so I need the weight transferred to my hips. I carried 30lbs in my zpack last year (bear can and all) and it was great, actually had to intentionally put some weight on my shoulders as the pack allows one to put it all on the hips. Not sure about durability, but I don't plan to thru hike anywhere just 4-5 night backpacking trips. I use my wife's smaller arc haul as my day pack. Weighs less than my Osprey day pack but actually carries like a real backpack. No shoulder fatigue at all. Plus the "arc" actually does keep my back from drowning in sweat. And you can get rid of the arc if you need the pack tighter against your back for off trail scrambling. I'm shopping for an Arc Blast to use as a day pack and for shorter trips. They are a bit $$$. And on the second hand market they hold their value pretty good. Does take a bit of fiddling and adjusting to get it just right, but once you do it carries great.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Jul 13, 2020 6:37 pm 
I like Gregory packs, imho pretty good packs for the money. I have never paid more than $150 for a pack. I had a Granite Gear pack that I also liked pretty well, but I bought the wrong size so I sold it. If I weren't so cheap I would buy a Z-packs pack or maybe a ULA pack. My friend has let me borrow his ULA Catalyst pack and I like it a lot. It's a 75 liter pack and it weighs about 3 lbs versus my Gregory Baltoro 70 liter pack that weighs 5 lbs 9 oz but is made to carry heavy weight. Then there are the custom packs made by Dan McHale, $500 plus? But very durable and custom fit, not sure how much they weigh? I am thinking 5+ lbs at least. How a pack fits your body is very important, so it's best to try one on and load it with gear to see how it feels. Two hiking items that should be tried before you buy are boots and packs.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Jul 13, 2020 7:55 pm 
for what it's worth: at this moment, searching Seattle-Tacoma Craigslist "Sporting" section for " pack | backpack " there are currently no fewer than 305 listings. might be worthwhile to check 'em out.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostTue Jul 14, 2020 7:36 am 
I have seen quite a number of experts on this forum posting advice about equipment such as backpacks, tents, cook stoves, food tips, water jugs, walking sticks, shoes, clothing, pets, etc etc!...its a long list....I think maybe yalls is to weak to go hiking if you need a special body fit backpack with tie downs for odds and ends and walking sticks and special boots to stand upright. I went to the local store, bought a pack, boots that fit, and all the other camping stuff and never paid a heck of a lot of money...maybe it wasn't fashion statement of the trail gossip but it did the job intended. I never had any problems standing up or navigating that rocky trail that I needed a stick to help. But then I never had a desire to reach the top of the world on some desolate peak. I went hiking/camping for the enjoyment of getting away from it all for a couple days. Maybe I missed some beutificous views from on top of ol smokey, but I took pleasure in the smell of the piney woods, that little bird chirping in the trees, watching the fish swim in a small creek.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Jul 14, 2020 7:07 pm 
Most important factor for backpack is that it fits you. Brand is secondary but custom fits are sweet.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostTue Jul 14, 2020 11:01 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
Most important factor for backpack is that it fits you. Brand is secondary but custom fits are sweet.
Fit is everything. But size is a close second. As light as described light you can use a sub-50 liter pack, which will be lighter. I’m not a big fan of Dyneema X fabric backpacks. You pay a huge premium for lighter weight, and the lack of abrasion resistance limits its lifespan. The newer Robic and X-PAC fabrics seem a better choice.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostWed Jul 15, 2020 8:40 pm 
I've used a ULA Catalyst for many years with no regrets. Memory has it at 3lb., 4200 cubic inches Here's their spiel. https://www.ula-equipment.com/product/catalyst/

Off trail rambler
80skeys

80skeys
PostTue Jul 21, 2020 7:57 am 
I've had an Osprey Aether 70 since about 2007 and it's been a great backpack. Tough and very well designed down to the small details. Instead of a sleep mat, let me suggest something else. Like most other people, I used to use the thin foam sleep mats. I never felt like they helped much, so I moved onto the thin self-inflating Thermarest pads. Same thing. So there was a period where I didn't take anything at all and just slept on the ground. then a friend suggested the Thermarest ultralight cot and that's what I use now. It's heavier than I would like (3 pounds) and it's expensive, but for convenience and comfort nothing beats it.

80skeys

80skeys
PostTue Jul 21, 2020 8:18 am 
cdestroyer wrote:
I think maybe yalls is to weak to go hiking if you need a special body fit backpack with tie downs for odds and ends and walking sticks and special boots to stand upright.
II think there's definitely something to be said for this guy's post. But I still think there are some exceptions where it's worth it to pay attention to quality. My approach is to skimp and go for cheap on most stuff except a couple items: * sleeping bag * base layer clothing * tent The advantages you get from well-designed, high-quality material in those items is worth it, in my opinion. The "space-age" materials that are used in those things isn't just hype, it truly provides a lot of value. For example, synthetic sleeping bags are compressable and light while still able to retain heat even when wet. I've had mine (Northface Snowshoe 0) for years and it still looks and feels and functions just as new as it did when I bought it. Another item I've always been impressed with are Marmot winter jackets. I've never had a need to own one, but if I ever got into skiíng or spending a lot of time in snow, I would get one. The design in those things is amazing. Super soft, super warm, durable. But for everything else, I just get the cheapo stuff and have never had a problem. Camp stoves, cooking supplies, clothing, other gear.

80skeys

80skeys
PostTue Jul 21, 2020 8:27 am 
I'd like to add to the above post that I find campmor.com to be a good place to get stuff. Much cheaper than the REI-type alternatives.

slugsworth

slugsworth
PostMon Jul 27, 2020 5:48 pm 
Your website is subtitled " the easiest way to choose the right backpack" Not to be too snarky, but it seems a little odd you are looking for backpack advice. . . specifically what advice are you looking for?? Is there anything about your body that makes your choice hard? Base weight goals? Frameless or internal frame?

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostThu Aug 13, 2020 8:42 pm 
Gonna want to get into somethin' competitive lookin'. Somethin' that'll cinch down tight, make ya look intimidating and 'strapped in' for the hard push ahead. Git into somethin' good.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Aug 13, 2020 9:01 pm 

cdestroyer
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Aug 13, 2020 9:36 pm 
up.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."