Forum Index > Food & Grub > Morels
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Jul 12, 2020 6:46 pm 
^ Actually, I have done that more than once, both with morels and chanterelles, and the end result is generally pretty fabulous. A cheap, sweet, white wine works MUCH better than a Masala or off-the-shelf cooking sherry, btw. And I have experimented with various herbs but never found one that didn't overpower the mushrooms. I generally try to limit seasonings to just a bit of salt and pepper. Of course, we're talking wild mushrooms here, so everybody's going to have a different take on it. Trader Vic's used to have on their menu a "dessert" dish of crepes with creamed morel sauce. Delightful. (They told us they imported the morels from India - go figure.)

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostMon Jul 13, 2020 1:11 pm 
Anne Elk wrote:
I slice them in halves or quarters, then slowly sautee in butter with a bit of shallot. A little salt if you use unsalted butter, maybe a pinch of dill. That's it!
up.gif Butter and/or olive oil, crushed or thinly sliced garlic (I'll bet shallots are great too!), salt, pepper. That is my basic "eat 'em up" recipe. Toss them with cooked pasta if you want to. A little grated hard cheese on them is wonderful too. Ski, Save that liquor/juice; it is insanely flavorful and is a great addition to soups and broths!

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Jul 17, 2020 9:50 am 
rib steak with morels and mango-cranberry-cherry chutney 071620
rib steak with morels and mango-cranberry-cherry chutney 071620

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Washakie

Washakie
PostFri Jul 24, 2020 11:02 pm 
I may have posted before,,,,, One of my favorite sayings, The are no old, bold mushroom hunters.

"What is the color when black is burned?" - Neil Young "We're all normal when we want our freedom" - Arthur Lee "The internet can make almost anyone seem intelligent" - Washakie
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Jul 25, 2020 1:19 am 
^ most likely true, but: When it comes to the mango chutney, I'm leaning toward being more bold. That batch from last week (in the photo above) was okay, but I forgot the tumeric! How silly of me. I started with two large mangos, peeled and chopped up 1 fat shallot, minced 1/4 cup fresh ginger, grated 1/3 cup white vinegar 1/4 cup white sugar bit of salt sprinkle of cayenne pepper 1/2 teaspoon whole red mustard seed dash ground clove 1/3 cup raisins (TJ's) 1/3 cup dry cranberry (TJ's organic) 1/3 cup dry sour unsweetened cherries (Oly Food Co-Op) 1/3 cup water and cooked it for about 30 minutes, then allowed it to cool. I was not as impressed as I was with the previous batch, in which I used dried unsweetened blueberries (Oly Food Co-Op) instead of the dry sour cherries. That may, however, be because I didn't forget the tumeric last time, and I believe I used just a wee bit more cayenne in the mix. So as a garnish, "bold" may indeed be better. I may see if I can find some tamarind somewhere and perhaps toss a bit of that in next time.... I have some "lamb necks" here that are awaiting my next science project. wink.gif

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostWed Aug 19, 2020 8:42 am 
Ski, your skills in the culinary arts are evident! I have to stick with the simple stuff...

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostThu May 18, 2023 1:06 pm 
Was gathering morels today in the burned areas along US-2 from the Bolt Creek fire. Got quite a few. The photo shows my largest one.

sarbar, Now I Fly, NWtrax  ejain  Slim
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostFri May 19, 2023 8:26 am 
2 years ago we chipped a ton of end-of-life Alder trees. I used them to line one of our fields, for walking paths, that we grow in. This spring we got a bajillion morels popping up. Alder is a miracle tree for fungi - starting 5 years ago we started chipping and blowing them into the forest on our land, as we opened up the forest - and within 2 years the level of fungi popping up was off the charts. We have at least 20 types growing wild in the woods now, in spring and fall. It's healthy for our land. The other thing Alder grows well is doing plugs in cut trees of shittake mushrooms.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.

Slim
Slim
This space for rent

Slim
This space for rent
PostSat May 20, 2023 6:57 am 
@Mike - I thought much of that area was closed off ?

"Lean mean money-making-machines serving fiends"
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostSat May 20, 2023 10:44 am 
The forest roads going into the Bolt burn are gated. Between the tiny town of Baring and Skykomish are plenty of burned areas adjacent to US-2. I just parked my car at some of the areas where the shoulder is wide enough to park and hopped into the forest burn. Right across from Mile Marker 47 is a road that wasn’t gated. I didn’t go up that. One way to go is to bring your bike along. The areas where the shoulder is wide have likely been picked over already. With the bike you could pedal farther and harvest from the many areas adjacent to US-2 that are burned but narrow so cars can’t park. I am done harvesting for the year. Good luck as there are some still out there waiting. My best patches of morels were found under burned cottonwood trees. Could have gathered more but got enough for this year.